GWT: PL matchweek 4

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I mean the owners didn't give them the money. There were many articles that said this. Mou was targeting too expensive options after they spent so much money already and it's not like Fred or Dalot were cheap.
United's transfer bill last year under Mourinho was insane, two years ago they spent 105 million on a single player, and under van Gaal their transfer fee bill was over 100 million every single year (of course they incorporated some of that money back). Only when they hired Moyes did he regularly spend 40 million less than LvG and Jose.

You guys just spent a ****load of money on ****** players, so there is no way you can use the "didn't give him any money" excuse. No way at all.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
United's transfer bill last year under Mourinho was insane, two years ago they spent 105 million on a single player, and under van Gaal their transfer fee bill was over 100 million every single year (of course they incorporated some of that money back). Only when they hired Moyes did he regularly spend 40 million less than LvG and Jose.

You guys just spent a ****load of money on ****** players, so there is no way you can use the "didn't give him any money" excuse. No way at all.
Yes you definitely can use the didn’t give him money excuse because they didn’t give him money to get the biggest missing piece so they still suck.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yes you definitely can use the didn’t give him money excuse because they didn’t give him money to get the biggest missing piece so they still suck.
Yet, Mourinho proudly spent 105 million on a position they didn't really need (likewise with van Gaal). You could've spent 50 million on a quality CB and 50 million on a CM where there are a million of such as Seri (who is looking absolutely amazing) instead of just Pogba.

Give me "Man United spent loads of money awfully for $1,500" Alex.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yet, Mourinho proudly spent 105 million on a position they didn't really need (likewise with van Gaal). You could've spent 50 million on a quality CB and 50 million on a CM where there are a million of such as Seri (who is looking absolutely amazing) instead of just Pogba.

Give me "Man United spent loads of money awfully for $1,500" Alex.
You really think Pogba is the problem here? The problem is we have Bailly, Shaw, and Lindelof as the only defenders that should be on our roster. Yet we have the likes of Smalling, Rojo, Young, Valencia, and Jones.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I mean the owners didn't give them the money. There were many articles that said this. Mou was targeting too expensive options after they spent so much money already and it's not like Fred or Dalot were cheap.

Yeah, what I read/heard is that Woodward felt the squad was good enough/underachieving , and he didn't want to purchase anymore super expensive 29-30 year olds for Mourinho.

Which kinda makes sense, especially if you're not sure how long Jose will be there. Why the hell would United want to be saddled with "Mourinho guys" aka massive wages/depreciating assets when (or if) he leaves. That would leave them in an even worse state than they are now.

Saying the owners didn't sign off on spending money , therefore Mourinho has to play negative football (he's done that practically his whole career) doesn't really jive with me.

I don't think if you had've signed Toby Alderweireld and Alex Sandro (or whoever) , all of a sudden you'd be playing open, expansive football. I just don't think Mourinho : a) wants to change that much , and b) knows how to coach offensive football to the level of a Klopp/Pep

He's had far better rosters and played even uglier football at times.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I wouldn't classify Casmeiro as a pure CDM, I think he's more along the lines of a BxB with very physical tendencies/traits which is why he gets a mega amount of yellowcards. He's in the same category of Vidal and Xhaka, but the latter is brain-dead.

Casemiro is very much a destroyer CDM. His entire job is to rack up tackles/interceptions and then pass the ball to Kroos/Modric before he gives it right back to the other team. He's a very useful player and great at what he does, but hitting a few screamers doesn't make him a box-to-box type CM.

Reactions: Il Mediano

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Casemiro is very much a destroyer CDM. His entire job is to rack up tackles/interceptions and then pass the ball to Kroos/Modric before he gives it right back to the other team. He's a very useful player and great at what he does, but hitting a few screamers doesn't make him a box-to-box type CM.

Yeah, Casemiro is a pure DM. I have no idea how one could think otherwise.

Just because he may have a more diverse technical skillset than other DM's doesn't change the fact he is one.

Reactions: KJS14

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
You really think Pogba is the problem here? The problem is we have Bailly, Shaw, and Lindelof as the only defenders that should be on our roster. Yet we have the likes of Smalling, Rojo, Young, Valencia, and Jones.

Arsenal have the island of misfit toys playing in their back line and you don't see us bunkering down like Man United. Mourinho has played negative football his entire career as @Il Mediano said.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Yeahhh so but what I'm actually reading from this is that Mourinho likes to target too expensive players that don't actually really address their needs

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Side note on Seri, his scoop pass against Brighton this past weekend that led to the fist goal was absolutely amazing.

Seri's gotta be a candidate for weirdest transfer of the summer.

He was linked to big clubs for over a year , and somehow ended up at Craven Cottage. Just odd.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
sigh....

I love Seri...

Indeed, very weird transfer. I think his first few months were so-so with Nice last season (likely the disappointment of his failed transfer to Barca). Still, he's such a talent, it's unbelievable he signed with such a low profile team.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
sigh....

I love Seri...

Indeed, very weird transfer. I think his first few months were so-so with Nice last season (likely the disappointment of his failed transfer to Barca). Still, he's such a talent, it's unbelievable he signed with such a low profile team.
Both him and Rui Patricio. Stunning.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I would rather have Seri than Fred. I think a large reason why he didn't transfer to a big English team is his age. But obviously Tottenham and Arsenal could have used a player with his attributes.

The other teams that didn't sign him, I don't think they had a reason to. I definitely wanted him last summer though.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I still need to see more of Fred.

He played really well against us in the CL , but hasn't looked like the same player at all in Manchester. That said, it was only a 2 game sample size , so it could've been deceiving.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Seri's gotta be a candidate for weirdest transfer of the summer.

He was linked to big clubs for over a year , and somehow ended up at Craven Cottage. Just odd.

To say nothing of the fact that he allegedly can't play or train in cold weather so there was no chance of him going to England...

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I still need to see more of Fred.

He played really well against us in the CL , but hasn't looked like the same player at all in Manchester. That said, it was only a 2 game sample size , so it could've been deceiving.

He’s shown flashes in the couple games he played, just hasn’t put it together for more than a half.

Granted it’s gotta be tough for a guy to break into an offensive system that is so devoid of solid gameplan. He’ll likely look like a completely different player in a month or two.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
On Fred...

It's very, very early to judge him, but I'm not impressed. He's wild in tackles, no calmness with the ball, not resistant to press, and I don't see it (not yet, anyway).

Again, very early, he may turn out to be a world beater... But for now, he's not looking like a world class signing, just more of the same "good / very good" type of player that won't win you the PL or have you contend in the CL.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yes but really even though Watford have got good results this is a game we should win fairly easily even with a weak bench.
Catching up on this weekend's matchweek thread and the irony of watching you rail about how bad Arsenal is, say this, and then square that with the weekend's results.

Reactions: robertmac43

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Catching up on this weekend's matchweek thread and the irony of watching you rail about how bad Arsenal is, say this, and then square that with the weekend's results.

Do Arsenal fans really think that Spurs losing changes anything I said about their pathetic team?

I know you have to cling to anything you can with how crappy your team is but Spurs losing doesn't change what a garbage squad you have.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Do Arsenal fans really think that Spurs losing changes anything I said about their pathetic team?

I know you have to cling to anything you can with how crappy your team is but Spurs losing doesn't change what a garbage squad you have.
No, but your beloved Spurs losing to a team that you've described as shit crap etc casts a little bit of doubt on your grading abilities

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
No, but your beloved Spurs losing to a team that you've described as **** crap etc casts a little bit of doubt on your grading abilities

I was very critical of them after the game.

I would say it casts more doubt on Spurs than anything that they lost to a garbage squad like Watford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->