GWT: PL Matchweek 38: Season Finale, Finally

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Now United can play the B-squad at EL.

Yep send the 1st XI on holiday. Fernandes and AWB have looked knackered recently. Rashford doesn't look himself. Martial's been brilliant since the restart though.

Lindelof played well, Williams solid too. Matic improved a bit in the 2nd half.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
4878F885-06E5-4E35-98BD-F6669791BB4F.jpeg

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
And you've all missed out the real story - Liverpool denying Newcastle silverware. Namely, the 'More Points than Last Season Cup'

This was a trophy specially created by the English media on 1 July, to be presented to any English manager whose team surpassed their points tally from the season before, provided they met one of the following criteria:

1) their name was Steve Bruce
2) their predecessor was Rafa Benitez

Since Newcastle entered their final six games of the season on 42 points, and Benitez led NUFC to 45 points last season, the trophy was within Bruce's grasp, and certain English 'journalists' as well as one or two journalists, were positively creaming their pants in excitement. Some people were even touting Bruce as a Manager of the Season candidate.

NUFC's results over their final six games: two draws, four defeats, goal difference 5-15.

Thus can the 'More Points than Last Season Cup' be reverently placed back in the cabinet along with the North East Top Dogs Trophy (which hasn't been awarded for the last three years either).

Bruce, you may recall, was given the job with the brief of improving NUFC's style. (Actually, you may not recall, since the media rarely addresses this point. The fact that addressing this point shines a light on how turgid has been much of the football his team has played - ie that Bruce has failed in his brief - is purely coincidental, of course.)

One game less won than last season, fewer goals scored, ten more conceded. This despite the net spend rising from zero to nigh on £30 million. Bruce's supporters will point out that most of the money was splurged on Joelinton - a player he didn't choose. This is true, but not a particularly honest defence of their man given the club made clear that accepting the Joelinton deal was a precondition for Bruce's employment. And being agreeable to people who further his mediocre career is something Steve Bruce does exceedingly well.

No doubt as we speak Steve is brushing up his skills for defending human rights abuses or explaining why vulture capitalism ain't so bad, to hedge his bets in case either one of the mooted takeovers goes through. Whether he can incorporate into his tactical manual anything more recent than 2008 is altogether thornier.

Reactions: les Habs

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Looking at the table, it's crazy what clubs like Everton, West Ham and Villa have spent to get where they got.
I will say I like the direction Moyes has said he wants to go. He wants to bring down the age of the squad, inject some pace, and get hungry players. A lot of links in the Championship where there are some good players to be had. A guy like Felipe Anderson, undoubted talent and a recognizable name, but big wages, fleeting work ethic, and no defense is how we got here.

Famous last words, but I don't think they'll be fighting relegation next campaign.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
And you've all missed out the real story - Liverpool denying Newcastle silverware. Namely, the 'More Points than Last Season Cup'

This was a trophy specially created by the English media on 1 July, to be presented to any English manager whose team surpassed their points tally from the season before, provided they met one of the following criteria:

1) their name was Steve Bruce
2) their predecessor was Rafa Benitez

Since Newcastle entered their final six games of the season on 42 points, and Benitez led NUFC to 45 points last season, the trophy was within Bruce's grasp, and certain English 'journalists' as well as one or two journalists, were positively creaming their pants in excitement. Some people were even touting Bruce as a Manager of the Season candidate.

NUFC's results over their final six games: two draws, four defeats, goal difference 5-15.

Thus can the 'More Points than Last Season Cup' be reverently placed back in the cabinet along with the North East Top Dogs Trophy (which hasn't been awarded for the last three years either).

Bruce, you may recall, was given the job with the brief of improving NUFC's style. (Actually, you may not recall, since the media rarely addresses this point. The fact that addressing this point shines a light on how turgid has been much of the football his team has played - ie that Bruce has failed in his brief - is purely coincidental, of course.)

One game less won than last season, fewer goals scored, ten more conceded. This despite the net spend rising from zero to nigh on £30 million. Bruce's supporters will point out that most of the money was splurged on Joelinton - a player he didn't choose. This is true, but not a particularly honest defence of their man given the club made clear that accepting the Joelinton deal was a precondition for Bruce's employment. And being agreeable to people who further his mediocre career is something Steve Bruce does exceedingly well.

No doubt as we speak Steve is brushing up his skills for defending human rights abuses or explaining why vulture capitalism ain't so bad, to hedge his bets in case either one of the mooted takeovers goes through. Whether he can incorporate into his tactical manual anything more recent than 2008 is altogether thornier.

Your posts make me wish Newcastle will eventually have the same fate as Sunderland and be a league one side.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just realized Villa are only up right now because someone forgot to turn on goal line tech against Scheff....

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I will say I like the direction Moyes has said he wants to go. He wants to bring down the age of the squad, inject some pace, and get hungry players. A lot of links in the Championship where there are some good players to be had. A guy like Felipe Anderson, undoubted talent and a recognizable name, but big wages, fleeting work ethic, and no defense is how we got here.

Famous last words, but I don't think they'll be fighting relegation next campaign.
I like Felipe Anderson. But I don't know that Moyes is the type to get anything out of him. If West Ham wanted to do a cut rate jettison of him, I would take him.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I like Felipe Anderson. But I don't know that Moyes is the type to get anything out of him. If West Ham wanted to do a cut rate jettison of him, I would take him.
Anderson's issues pre-date Moyes. He has 2 goals in his last 42 games...

The goals would be one thing on its own, but he's shown non-existent effort on the pitch and zero interest in tracking back. Klopp would have an aneurysm watching this guy. He had a good season last year and completely fell off the cliff. At least if there was production you could live with a little less attention to detail, but he couldn't even offer that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Just watched our game. The Keita performance, wooo that was good. If this guy can stay on the pitch he's top class. Can dribble through everyone, can shoot, intercept perfectly, tackle even though he's small, and has great passing vision. Now hopefully he can stay fit, the seasons before he got to Liverpool he was fit to play a massive amount of games. Hopefully the injuries were just bad luck, because his inclusion makes the team extremely difficult to beat.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Me last May: "I feel this was our chance. We'll never put up a point total like that again."

Liverpool:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Reflecting on this game:

This honestly might've been our best performance of the season. We didn't create an absurd amount of chances, but everything was so calm and under control from like the 20 minutes point onwards. Kovacic and Jorginho controlled the midfield so well, and Azpilicueta especially had a great game suffocating pretty much every Wolves counter. It's a testament to those three that Wolves only had the one shot on goal. I think that was the most controlled, least chaotic game we've played this year, and that it came in a must-win is a tremendous sign. The passing was so crisp and confident, especially in the second half. Really high quality stuff.

Besides that, just a few notes on individual players. Caballero vs Kepa really was night and day, and you could tell the CBs were far more relaxed with Willy there. Alonso did way better against Traore than I ever would've imagined, he actually won that battle pretty convincingly. Kovacic was quality, as per usual. Jorginho really bossed it - you could see him shouting at players to move and make runs, especially in the first half when we were pretty static. He's still a key player. Obviously Mount was man of the match. Pulisic was way quieter today, but he still had his moments. The more I watch Giroud's goal the more I'm impressed by the finish. CHO and Abraham looked pretty dangerous when they came on too.

On the whole, it was one of those games where no one (except Mount maybe) stood out a ton, but everyone on the field played a solid 8/10, and that's enough for a convincing victory.

Reactions: Blender

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Martinez > Leno, I just don't know how you can justify playing Leno over him next season. He was MOTM today I thought after Auba got his second brilliant goal. That touch for his bicycle kick was phenomenal, also if Rob Holding is going to start next weekend then give Chelsea the FA Cup because he was somehow worse than Kola has been since Project Restart.

It's a travesty/crime that Spurs somehow made Europa in addition to Chelsea and United making Champion's League. Complete crime, United was fortunate for having so many penalties awarded to them this season, Chelsea/Spurs were fortunate that Sheffield, Leicester, and Wolves lost pretty much all their momentum in Project Restart. If EPL didn't shutdown I think we would've seen Sheffield and Leicester in CL with United and Chelsea/Wolves in Europa.

Watford firing their manager for the last two games looks brilliant right now....
Ehhhh, gotta disagree with that. This chap made them play the right away, besides the first 30ish minutes they were easily the better team. If they played like they did against us in the Championship next season then absolutely should be back two years from now.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Ehhhh, gotta disagree with that. This chap made them play the right away, besides the first 30ish minutes they were easily the better team. If they played like they did against us in the Championship next season then absolutely should be back two years from now.

1.) I don't think they played differently than they did when they won 2 straight to almost dig themselves out of relegation.

2.) It's Watford. They've had 12 permanent managers in the last 10 seasons, they're not keeping a manager for 2 years, especially if he doesn't win promotion in the first one.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Solskjaer shit on much of the season and United finish 3rd with the 2nd fewest losses and some big wins. He's not perfect, Fernandes helped and the league was weak, but he's steered the ship. Curious to see what they do in the market and how they perform next season.

Reactions: Venkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad