GWT: PL Matchweek 37

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Wait, do people actually care when coaches have an argument? As long as it doesn't get physical, let them do whatever the hell they want. Probably better for assistants to stay out of it though.
I don't think anyone cares about coaches having an argument, but it wasn't really an argument was it? It was Frank acting like a baby because Lijnders thought it was a foul and he didn't, then going off on Klopp for...telling him to calm down. I don't think it's a big deal I just think he comes off pretty poorly in the exchange. C'est la vie.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That was 5 years ago. I think the narrative would be quite different today.

Not from me, but on the aggregate :D

It probably wouldn’t happen now though. It usually only happens when the manager is very tilted about a string of bad matches or bad performances. When Klopp had his major freak out I believe we were having a rather bad run. Lampard had some reason to be pissed beyond the foul. His team was playing very poorly and they’ve now given up many more goals than last season.

I don’t really excuse managers acting like babies. A look at my posts about Mourinho will show that. It’s one thing to complain about the game, but to moan about the other team during and after the match is ridiculous behavior. I also hate when managers say the old “they didn’t come to pay football” adage.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't think anyone cares about coaches having an argument, but it wasn't really an argument was it? It was Frank acting like a baby because Lijnders thought it was a foul and he didn't, then going off on Klopp for...telling him to calm down. I don't think it's a big deal I just think he comes off pretty poorly in the exchange. C'est la vie.
Glad you summed it up, Frank was a baby, Lijnders was correct, and Klopp was just being a peace-maker.

Honestly though, who the f*** cares. This happens all the time and it's not an issue. It's only an issue because the mics picked it up because there aren't fans and crowd noise to cover it up.

Reactions: YNWA14

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Glad you summed it up, Frank was a baby, Lijnders was correct, and Klopp was just being a peace-maker.

Honestly though, who the f*** cares. This happens all the time and it's not an issue. It's only an issue because the mics picked it up because there aren't fans and crowd noise to cover it up.

It would have been a thing anyway. All manager bust ups usually are.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's good for the league if managers aren't always buddy buddy. It's also somewhat good for the clubs. If your players are crapping the bed, you can take some attention away from them if you do it right.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The problem is that it continued after the match, which Klopp responded to

I've seen Klopp post-match interviews and even press conferences the day after the match that did not show the reasonable, likable man he usually is. I think sometimes it can take a day or two even for him to calm down again. But the truth is that I think at this point Klopp knows that there is a 'mind game' element to the way the managers at the top clubs in England interact with each other via the media, so that's going to be reflected in how he interacts with this type of thing. Lampard, of course, having been fully immersed in the PL during the heyday of Sir Alex, Wenger and Mourinho needs no education on that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Nah, somehow in all of that Klopp is the bad guy. Just read this thread. lol

You automatically become the bad guy when you win, which is fine. I've been waiting a while for that. But if someone is the bad guy, people still shouldn't resort to making stuff up about them. I understand that some people are still mad about losing by four goals to our B team, but anyone can watch the videos themselves and they don't need to lie about them. Now if Klopp was arrogant he'd say something like what I just said, instead he just stood there while another manager berated his bench and didn't say anything about it until two days later. Of course everyone is somewhat arrogant though. People usually always believe they’re right.

This is, according to Lampard, a Lampard vs. Lijnders thing, and I don't really have much to say about that other than that it's beneath both of them. For one the manager of a team shouldn't be going after a lower staff member. For two, when Klopp told Lijnders to shut up he should have done so.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You should leave it at that since that right there makes absolutely no sense.

It certainly does. Lampard made comments during and after the match. Klopp says nothing at the time and responds two days later. Some time afterwards Lampard says Klopp did nothing and has no problem with him. Yet Klopp has now done something wrong. That is what doesn’t make sense.
Bringing Pep up is another bizarre thing. He’s said plenty and nobody cares.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You automatically become the bad guy when you win, which is fine. I've been waiting a while for that. But if someone is the bad guy, people still shouldn't resort to making stuff up about them. I understand that some people are still mad about losing by four goals to our B team, but anyone can watch the videos themselves and they don't need to lie about them. Now if Klopp was arrogant he'd say something like what I just said, instead he just stood there while another manager berated his bench and didn't say anything about it until two days later. Of course everyone is somewhat arrogant though. People usually always believe they’re right.

This is, according to Lampard, a Lampard vs. Lijnders thing, and I don't really have much to say about that other than that it's beneath both of them. For one the manager of a team shouldn't be going after a lower staff member. For two, when Klopp told Lijnders to shut up he should have done so.
This is about the least accurate summary of these events I have read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->