GWT: PL Matchweek 37

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
The Kovacic tackle is a very dangerous tackle from behind. I understand that many people are frustrated with phantom calls but it this case even if he touched the ball (first) it is hard to see it is still a very reckless and dangerous tackle. Just like a stud up tackle is always called, a tackle from behind too.

Reactions: YNWA14

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
The Kovacic tackle is a very dangerous tackle from behind. I understand that many people are frustrated with phantom calls but it this case even if he touched the ball (first) it is hard to see it is still a very reckless and dangerous tackle. Just like a stud up tackle is always called, a tackle from behind too.

I'm not sure what the fuzz is about. Since when have you been allowed to clip someone from behind even if you get the ball? Never as I remember it.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Lampard should calm down and stop disrespecting a coach that won in different leagues while he has yet to prove anything. It is nice that his team performed better than expected but they were also wildly inconsistent. The only reason his team has not dropped down is that every team in the top 6 outside of Liverpool were inconsistent as well.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Yeah, definitely no foul here. Except the player tackles him behind and clatters into his legs. From the angle Lampard was standing at he could see nothing.

Lampard acted like a baby, Lijnders overreacted a little bit. If I was Lijnders I'd have just laughed at Lampard, but that also would have set him off. Maybe that's what he saw to start things off. The cursing has nothing to do with it. The idiot is coming out of his technical area and screaming at the other team over a disagreement about a foul. Then after the fact he talks about being arrogant, there was absolutely nothing arrogant about the confrontation at all. Maybe he's insecure or something. Fact is he needs to win matches instead of talking about that. There were lessons to be learned from this game on his part and that shouldn't have been one of them. He should learn to play his best players against a team half on holiday.

Also, just to note this, when Klopp had his dispute with Pulis that was pretty bad behavior from him too. There's really no excuse for acting like a fool towards the other team, unless of course the other team is deliberately trying to injure players.

I've seen that video a dozen times from multiple angles, that is not a foul. He contacts his leg before the ball slightly, but that is not what takes Mane out. Nowhere in the rules does it say that you aren't allowed to make any contact with the player before the ball, you just can't go through them and that is not what happened here. From the other angle you can clearly see that Mane goes down because Kovacic lands on his foot after the tackle and Mane tumbles over him (you can clearly see it on that angle as well), it wasn't because of the initial contact. That was an absolutely terrible call.

The only reason that gets called is because Mane made a big deal of it, like he always makes a big deal of any contact. He's one of the worst divers/embellishers in the league and has gotten Liverpool a few goals this year from rolling around in the box or outside of it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wait, do people actually care when coaches have an argument? As long as it doesn't get physical, let them do whatever the hell they want. Probably better for assistants to stay out of it though.

Reactions: Blender

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Too early. For one thing we have no idea how those players will play together. They will only have about a year of internationals as well. Perhaps less.

Also, of most of the players listed, not very many of them will play. A player like Greenwood will play about 10 minutes. Saka will not play at all. There's no chance he gets time when Sterling, Kane, Rashford, Sancho all have to play. Their best central defensive pairing still includes Harry Maguire and their manager loves John Stones. I could continue

We'll see. It's also a later World Cup in 2022, so there are 4-5 extra months for players to improve. That can make a huge difference, and it often does. Someone like Greenwood might be among the leading scorers next season in the Premier League five months from now, for all we know.

And it doesn't hurt that they have a major tournament next summer that should clear up some of these decisions that Southgate will have to make.

2024 Euros though might be a more realistic chance to win a major tournament.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not to belabor the point because I don't care very much, but admonishing someone for celebrating a goal is completely absurd. It's the kind of thing someone does when they're angry they're losing, and that's it. In the first place Lampard was also moaning at the ref and walking out of his technical area looking for a confrontation.

I don't think he knew what he meant. He was upset and said a lot of stupid things, acting like a baby. There's only so long someone will put up with that kind of whining from an adult.

:facepalm:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Too early. For one thing we have no idea how those players will play together. They will only have about a year of internationals as well. Perhaps less.

Also, of most of the players listed, not very many of them will play. A player like Greenwood will play about 10 minutes. Saka will not play at all. There's no chance he gets time when Sterling, Kane, Rashford, Sancho all have to play. Their best central defensive pairing still includes Harry Maguire and their manager loves John Stones. I could continue
They can play different positions, Saka for instance could potentially be a fullback for England if he can't get the winger position. I think in 2026 you could see an English team of...

Rashford - Greenwood - Sancho
Foden
Rice - Bellingham
Chilwell - Gomez - Tuanzebe - TAA
Henderson​

Bench: Abraham, Kane, Maddison, Mount, Saka, Sessegnon, Aarons, Tomori, Stones, & Ramsdale
Now I do think the CB position is a bit iffy, but I think you're underrating that team's strength...especially in its ability to score goals. There is a good chance - considering that it's a bit too early to talk about this - that as of now England's prime CB hasn't really developed yet, but could be realistically better than Gomez, Tuanzebe, or Stones for that matter.

Reactions: gary69

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I've seen that video a dozen times from multiple angles, that is not a foul. He contacts his leg before the ball slightly, but that is not what takes Mane out. Nowhere in the rules does it say that you aren't allowed to make any contact with the player before the ball, you just can't go through them and that is not what happened here. From the other angle you can clearly see that Mane goes down because Kovacic lands on his foot after the tackle and Mane tumbles over him (you can clearly see it on that angle as well), it wasn't because of the initial contact. That was an absolutely terrible call.

The only reason that gets called is because Mane made a big deal of it, like he always makes a big deal of any contact. He's one of the worst divers/embellishers in the league and has gotten Liverpool a few goals this year from rolling around in the box or outside of it.
You can’t take a player out like that going for the ball. Especially from behind. It’s a very clear foul and was the right call. You don’t even have to touch a player for a foul to be called by the way, if a tackle is deemed reckless (which this was) it’s a foul. That he clipped Mane before and after getting the ball only makes it more clear.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Wait, do people actually care when coaches have an argument? As long as it doesn't get physical, let them do whatever the hell they want. Probably better for assistants to stay out of it though.

I would have expected Liverpool fans to be chill about this given that Klopp himself is no stranger to getting carried away by the emotions of the match day.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The Liverpool fans here are the only people I've seen refuse to admit that that wasn't a foul.

Anyway, I truly struggle to care about some post-game spat. It was the best game to watch since the restart, we lost because of a combination of screamers and our inability to defend, and that's really all I care about.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Some people take some things way too seriously. Do you really want managers saying no comment to every single question they get on some controversial incident?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I agree with his principal that at the end of the whistle, that should probably be the end of talking bad about another club.

You can say you need to play better, or that you don't agree with the call. But Klopp is more than right to respond back when Lampard continued to say things about Liverpool afterwards.

That said, Liverpool are certainly arrogant, and rightfully should be. But they work their behinds off to get where they are. Lampard wouldn't have his job if not for being a Chelsea legend. Maybe he should work a little harder and earn his position a bit more.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The Liverpool fans here are the only people I've seen refuse to admit that that wasn't a foul.

Anyway, I truly struggle to care about some post-game spat. It was the best game to watch since the restart, we lost because of a combination of screamers and our inability to defend, and that's really all I care about.

I also said it was a clear foul and continue to believe that. Touching the ball at some point during the process doesn't magically make it not a foul.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They can play different positions, Saka for instance could potentially be a fullback for England if he can't get the winger position. I think in 2026 you could see an English team of...

Rashford - Greenwood - Sancho
Foden
Rice - Bellingham
Chilwell - Gomez - Tuanzebe - TAA
Henderson​

Bench: Abraham, Kane, Maddison, Mount, Saka, Sessegnon, Aarons, Tomori, Stones, & Ramsdale
Now I do think the CB position is a bit iffy, but I think you're underrating that team's strength...especially in its ability to score goals. There is a good chance - considering that it's a bit too early to talk about this - that as of now England's prime CB hasn't really developed yet, but could be realistically better than Gomez, Tuanzebe, or Stones for that matter.
Ben White could definitely be a starter

Reactions: S E P H

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I said 50/50 for the record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->