GWT: PL Matchweek 37

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The referee is beyond terrible.

Missed: Manquillo kicking Mane in the head for a penalty, letting Ritchie foul Salah bad constantly, TAA red card, van Dijk foul there, many other small fouls.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Well I guess the referee played advantage after the TAA handball which they are allowed to do. Still though. Horrible referee.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well I guess the referee played advantage after the TAA handball which they are allowed to do. Still though. Horrible referee.
But even if you play advantage, you go back and give whatever card you would have given had play stopped.

Am I wrong here?

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Swedish pundits say they can't give him a red since they played the advantegous or missed it. Think they could let the goal stand or take it back and award a penalty kick and a red if one of the other 3 referees saw it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
But even if you play advantage, you go back and give whatever card you would have given had play stopped.

Am I wrong here?

In this case you are wrong.

Because Atsu scored anyway, TAA is supposed to be given a yellow card. The referee is not able to give a red card for denying a goalscoring opportunity because they scored. If Atsu sends the ball wide or it is saved, TAA is to be given a red card and a penalty awarded.

Specific rule per the FA website:

If the referee plays the advantage for an offence for which a caution / send off would have been issued had play been stopped, this caution / send off must be issued when the ball is next out of play, except for the denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity when the player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour.

Dumb rule. That makes no f***ing sense to me.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In this case you are wrong.

Because Atsu scored anyway, TAA is supposed to be given a yellow card. The referee is not able to give a red card for denying a goalscoring opportunity because they scored. If Atsu sends the ball wide or it is saved, TAA is to be given a red card and a penalty awarded.

Specific rule per the FA website:

If the referee plays the advantage for an offence for which a caution / send off would have been issued had play been stopped, this caution / send off must be issued when the ball is next out of play, except for the denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity when the player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour.

Dumb rule. That makes no ****ing sense to me.
But he didn't get a yellow either, so the ref still didn't even follow the dumb rule.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
But he didn't get a yellow either, so the ref still didn't even follow the dumb rule.

Marriner probably missed it otherwise he likely would have called it immediately. But one would guess one of the other 3 saw it, then they could decide weather it's a goal and yellow or a penalty and red I guess.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

No and he shouldn't be officiating these games. The logic of playing advantage only applies in a case when the player is more likely to score from where he has the ball than from the penalty spot, which Atsu was.

The rule still makes absolutely no sense to me as Newcastle deserved the advantage of playing against 10 men. The rule is still the rule though and Alexander-Arnold should not have been sent off.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No and he shouldn't be officiating these games. The logic of playing advantage only applies in a case when the player is more likely to score from where he has the ball than from the penalty spot, which Atsu was.

The rule still makes absolutely no sense to me as Newcastle deserved the advantage of playing against 10 men. The rule is still the rule though and Alexander-Arnold should not have been sent off.
This isn't the first rodeo with Marriner being insufferable IIRC.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
1-2 is probably a fair score all said a d done though. Should be an interesting 2nd half. Newcastle showed up

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Oh gawd. Liverpool are gonna have to get this goal with Origi and Sturridge at the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad