GWT: PL Matchweek 37

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They are the new Manchester United.

Manchester United has supporters, so not really. This whole thing is quite frustrating and they have been allowed to do things that literally every other team is not allowed to do. Even PSG had spending restrictions placed on them for example.

Manchester City Exposed: Chapter 1: Bending the Rules to the Tune of Millions - SPIEGEL ONLINE - International

Football Leaks: Man City Accused of Using Shadow Firms to Flout Rules - SPIEGEL ONLINE - International

There's only so many times a person can see City games with empty seats all over the place and not feel pissed off about the way they have been allowed to dominate the game while every other team is fighting an uphill battle. They broke the regulations for their first two titles and were given a slap on the wrist, but now those same things are being ignored.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
If somehow that championship neutral game came to be it would be a fitting end to this historic season.

If we can have a pair of game 163s in MLB and a Presidents Trophy team gets swept, anything’s possible

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Only this time, people will be rooting for the lower ranked team.

City has become the team they were trying to overtake. 7 years ago, they were the team many pulled for on the final day. Now, many will be pulling against them.

Now, they have assumed the role of the overdog.

They are the new Manchester United.
Meh, most people in my experience are rooting for them over Liverpool.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Manchester United has supporters, so not really. This whole thing is quite frustrating and they have been allowed to do things that literally every other team is not allowed to do. Even PSG had spending restrictions placed on them for example.

Manchester City Exposed: Chapter 1: Bending the Rules to the Tune of Millions - SPIEGEL ONLINE - International

Football Leaks: Man City Accused of Using Shadow Firms to Flout Rules - SPIEGEL ONLINE - International

There's only so many times a person can see City games with empty seats all over the place and not feel pissed off about the way they have been allowed to dominate the game while every other team is fighting an uphill battle. They broke the regulations for their first two titles and were given a slap on the wrist, but now those same things are being ignored.
They are getting in trouble(potential ban) for their apparent feeder club. I think in Holland or Belgium. They seemed more concerned with those issues than FFP.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think Manchester United fans don't take Manchester City has a threat to be honest. That being said I must admit that watching a city team boosted by shady funding and sponsorship deal is making the premier league less attractive in my eyes. Just like PSG killed my interest in la ligue 1. Now I understand money is everywhere and a huge factor between winning and losing but having 1 true dominant team is bringing down the excitement in any league IMO.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I think Manchester United fans don't take Manchester City has a threat to be honest. That being said I must admit that watching a city team boosted by shady funding and sponsorship deal is making the premier league less attractive in my eyes. Just like PSG killed my interest in la ligue 1. Now I understand money is everywhere and a huge factor between winning and losing but having 1 true dominant team is bringing down the excitement in any league IMO.

Did you feel this way when Abramovic came in?

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Did you feel this way when Abramovic came in?
Are you contending that the same complaints being brought up about Manchester City weren't when Abramovich started splashing all his shady oligarch money?

Because that could not be more off base.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Are you contending that the same complaints being brought up about Manchester City weren't when Abramovich started splashing all his shady oligarch money?

Because that could not be more off base.

428 million (560,000,000 USD) worth of player was on the bench or not even in the squad. Lots of shady companies were started to fund these purchases and the club, not just breaking football regulations but breaking the law. 428 MILLION. The other teams just can't compete with that and it's not coming from having a lot of supporters who spend money on the team. Football as a whole would be radically different if they weren't receiving that funding.

I would rather see a team like United lift the league trophy in all honesty. 97 points not being enough to win the league? Nobody else's club here is going to win shit either with that being the case. It's rather hopeless and I'm rather surprised some people here like the idea of this turning into Serie A where one team has such a ridiculous financial advantage they can't lose.

Of course, ultimately, I still feel that we should have beaten Everton, but we have Origi instead of the money to have Sane or Mahrez and that's where the difference is. I'm also more disappointed in the reality of watching this team only two more times than I am with the probability of losing the league. It's frustrating for the team to perform like this and not get anything, then when thinking about why that is, the blood starts to boil.

Last edited:

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
This Liverpool side is making me go Anfield next season. “I must go to Anfield” has become “I must see this Liverpool side at Anfield.”

It sucks that it may not end with a trophy but this season made me feel feelings and that makes watching sports worth it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah, like I said, I think we're set up to be good long-term, but my concern is that there's nothing out of the ordinary about this. City had more points last year.

We're not financially equipped to put up almost 100 points every year. Nobody is but City.

I could see them winning 10+ consecutive titles.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah, like I said, I think we're set up to be good long-term, but my concern is that there's nothing out of the ordinary about this. City had more points last year.

We're not financially equipped to put up almost 100 points every year. Nobody is but City.

I could see them winning 10+ consecutive titles.

Nah, it ends when they win the CL. Then Pep will leave.

Probably already have to get rid of Sane and I don't think they can replace a player like that, money or not. There's no other player who can do what he does from that position.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
428 million (560,000,000 USD) worth of player was on the bench or not even in the squad. Lots of shady companies were started to fund these purchases and the club, not just breaking football regulations but breaking the law. 428 MILLION. The other teams just can't compete with that and it's not coming from having a lot of supporters who spend money on the team. Football as a whole would be radically different if they weren't receiving that funding.

I would rather see a team like United lift the league trophy in all honesty. 97 points not being enough to win the league? Nobody else's club here is going to win **** either with that being the case. It's rather hopeless and I'm rather surprised some people here like the idea of this turning into Serie A where one team has such a ridiculous financial advantage they can't lose.

Of course, ultimately, I still feel that we should have beaten Everton, but we have Origi instead of the money to have Sane or Mahrez and that's where the difference is. I'm also more disappointed in the reality of watching this team only two more times than I am with the probability of losing the league. It's frustrating for the team to perform like this and not get anything, then when thinking about why that is, the blood starts to boil.
I'm not disagreeing with you. And yes, Manchester City's sheikh money is shadier and arguably more overwhelming (relative to the PL aggregate finances during when Abramovich bought the club in the early '00s) than it was when Chelsea first starting spending big.

I'm just saying, all the same complaints we're hearing now were made then as well (buying the league, shady money, propping up a paper club).

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm not disagreeing with you. And yes, Manchester City's sheikh money is shadier and arguably more overwhelming (relative to the PL aggregate finances during Abramovich's entrance to the league) than it was when Chelsea first starting spending big.

I'm just saying, all the same complaints we're hearing now were made then as well (buying the league, shady money, propping up a paper club).

I know, I just wanted to make it clear because someone brought up Abramovich. This is also so far beyond that unfortunately.

The standard to win a league should not be, 'you have to not lose a single game every season because they have too much money for their team to have a weakness.' The part where they create and own their own feeder teams that funnel money to the higher organization is what takes the cake for me.

Everyone else will be complaining just as bad in the future. When their teams get to Liverpool's level, because inevitably some of them will, they won't win anything against this lot either.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I know, I just wanted to make it clear because someone brought up Abramovich. This is also so far beyond that unfortunately.

The standard to win a league should not be, 'you have to not lose a single game every season because they have too much money for their team to have a weakness.' The part where they create and own their own feeder teams that funnel money to the higher organization is what takes the cake for me.

Everyone else will be complaining just as bad in the future. When their teams get to Liverpool's level, because inevitably some of them will, they won't win anything against this lot either.
Yeah. The brazenness is what gets me. I mean, everyone in the world knows the garbage they're pulling and the powers that be can't be bothered to even give lip service to the idea that the same rules apply to everyone. It really is pathetic.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah. The brazenness is what gets me. I mean, everyone in the world knows the garbage they're pulling and the powers that be can't be bothered to even give lip service to the idea that the same rules apply to everyone. It really is pathetic.

They should be transfer banned for years if all these allegations are true. Constant third party ownership which is banned by FIFA. Illegal youth transfers.

This too: Manchester City remain silent on fresh FFP abuse claims

Which sounds a lot like human trafficking to me.

The allegations against City go far beyond what any other team, including PSG for that matter, has ever been alleged of doing.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nah, it ends when they win the CL. Then Pep will leave.

Probably already have to get rid of Sane and I don't think they can replace a player like that, money or not. There's no other player who can do what he does from that position.
They'll just hire the next most sought after the coach in the sport and buy three other players who would start for literally every other team on the planet to come off the bench.

The hope we have is that for all their money, human beings are still in charge of that club and can make poor decisions. But then again, where are we when that happens? We have a window. Clubs like City don't have windows. Not anymore. Not with the way the game is.

I almost feel like this was the chance, but I don't wanna say that, because if they end up tallying 98 points, it really wasn't the chance.

We've given more than everything. It just wasn't a fair fight. It's not gonna get any fairer.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They'll just hire the next most sought after the coach in the sport and buy three other players who would start for literally every other team on the planet to come off the bench.

There's no coach as good as Pep or Klopp. Can't replace either of them. Period.

As for the rest, honestly I could see Liverpool not losing a game next season if they kept all their players and added one or two for the bench. Nearly did it this season if not for a miracle clearance off the line.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They should be transfer banned for years if all these allegations are true. Constant third party ownership which is banned by FIFA. Illegal youth transfers.

This too: Manchester City remain silent on fresh FFP abuse claims

Which sounds a lot like human trafficking to me.

The allegations against City go far beyond what any other team, including PSG for that matter, has ever been alleged of doing.

How does this compare to what Chelsea got a ban for?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There's no coach as good as Pep or Klopp. Can't replace either of them. Period.

As for the rest, honestly I could see Liverpool not losing a game next season if they kept all their players and added one or two for the bench. Nearly did it this season if not for a miracle clearance off the line.
Yeah, but we also equalized against Chelsea in the 89th minute and would have lost twice to City if Mahrez could shoot a penalty straight.

Not that I'm trying to be critical because we're talking about going unbeaten here and I don't realistically expect that, but we've had a handful of memorable winners to get where we are.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Now, in the Champions League, I'm definitely expecting us to make a lot of noise. That's where I think we need to capitalize.

In the league, over 38 games, it's really, really hard to put up somewhere from 95-100 points. That's the bar now.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
BTW when I talk about Sane starting for literally any other team, that's obviously besides Germany.

I mean, give me one good reason why the best German player alive should be on the German national team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad