GWT: PL Matchweek 36

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Which means Everton...

Let's not talk about that :laugh:
I’m. OT going to look back at draws against Everton and United. I will look back at blowing leads to Arsenal, Leicester and West Ham. Liverpool probably should have lost the West Ham game, but even so, they had a goal disallowed at Arsenal that should have stood. Leicester’s goal to draw them was the one killer mistake they had all season. Not to mention being a being a pubic hair away from having the lead at the Ettihad. But finishing 2nd with 97 points is cruel

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I’m. OT going to look back at draws against Everton and United. I will look back at blowing leads to Arsenal, Leicester and West Ham. Liverpool probably should have lost the West Ham game, but even so, they had a goal disallowed at Arsenal that should have stood. Leicester’s goal to draw them was the one killer mistake they had all season. Not to mention being a being a pubic hair away from having the lead at the Ettihad. But finishing 2nd with 97 points is cruel
If we win 30 games, looking back at those "missed opportunities" is borderline perfectionism.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If we win 30 games, looking back at those "missed opportunities" is borderline perfectionism.
Well perfectionism was requires this year. It probably will next year too. City isn’t going anywhere, and Liverpool have AFCON to deal with next year

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I can't imagine having a season where you're in the CL semis and almost for sure going to get 97 points in the PL and you're acting disappointed and fatalistic.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Well perfectionism was requires this year. It probably will next year too. City isn’t going anywhere, and Liverpool have AFCON to deal with next year

Atleast it's during the summer now. Hopefully they won't arrive too late

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We would hold our own destiny if we had zero losses, so yeah, it takes literal perfection to win the league this year.

If one game will stick in my craw, it's West Ham. That was a 2015-16 performance.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can't imagine having a season where you're in the CL semis and almost for sure going to get 97 points in the PL and you're acting disappointed and fatalistic.
Disappointed isn't the word.

I'll be heartbroken, and I think it's human nature when you lose the league by one point to play every single draw back in your head.

But I won't be disappointed. Nothing about this is disappointing. This is the greatest team Liverpool has ever seen.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
On the contrary, the season isn't over yet, but 38 weeks gives you a long time to contemplate.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I have said it since Christmas; whether we win the title or not isn't how we should measure how successful this season is given the juggernaut that City is. What a fantastic season, a fantastic team, and a breath of fresh air after all the team has endured over the last decade (relative, obviously, I know other teams have it much worse, etc. blah blah). There's still hope to win the CL and the faintest hope of the PL, but neither are required to say this is really a special team and we're very lucky as fans right now.

Reactions: Carl Carlson

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm still recovering from the Savant Nightmare Treble of 2014 where Liverpool, Mets and Rangers all finished in second. That almost killed me

C'mon now the Mets were 2015 :sarcasm:

If Germany had lost the final to Argentina, I would have come second three times in three months.

Reactions: Savant

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have said it since Christmas; whether we win the title or not isn't how we should measure how successful this season is given the juggernaut that City is. What a fantastic season, a fantastic team, and a breath of fresh air after all the team has endured over the last decade (relative, obviously, I know other teams have it much worse, etc. blah blah). There's still hope to win the CL and the faintest hope of the PL, but neither are required to say this is really a special team and we're very lucky as fans right now.
The important thing is, we've established ourselves as one of the biggest clubs in the world again.

2013-14 always felt like Lightning in a bottle. This feels like the beginning of an era of Liverpool football.

Anybody can get hot and win a trophy. What we're doing is making a foothold in the top 5 clubs.

Reactions: Live in the Now

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Regardless of whether they end up winning the title or not, I'd be hard pressed to say any other club had a more impressive season than Liverpool. Klopp deserves a ton of the credit for what he has done there.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
If Liverpool do win out, City will have to have won 14 in a row.

Who the **** wins 14 in a row? You certainly can't say they choked if they don't win 14 ****ing straight.

For a comparison, Arsenal ended 2001-2 with 13 successive wins (indeed they took 46 points out of the last possible 48), thanks to which they pulled clear to win the league by seven points.

Reactions: Machinehead

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

I should correct you.

Going to win the CL.

The important thing is, we've established ourselves as one of the biggest clubs in the world again.

2013-14 always felt like Lightning in a bottle. This feels like the beginning of an era of Liverpool football.

Anybody can get hot and win a trophy. What we're doing is making a foothold in the top 5 clubs.

Last year was the beginning. It is very difficult to see Liverpool suffering from here unless there are multiple major departures.

Reactions: Machinehead

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The other thing in play here is other than City, the 4 other top clubs have major issues that look like they could take a while to overcome.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The day Klopp leaves.

Yep. Managers that make this kind of mark cannot be replaced.

He is probably signing another long contract though, there were some rumors about it that he had to respond to by talking about how good the team was. I’m sure he’s happy as he’s been given the freedom to do or say whatever he wants. To that note it is nice that he hasn’t once tried to take credit for anything.

I would still like to see the team address CB in the summer to hit maximum top level, but other than that, wow.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yep. Managers that make this kind of mark cannot be replaced.

He is probably signing another long contract though, there were some rumors about it that he had to respond to by talking about how good the team was. I’m sure he’s happy as he’s been given the freedom to do or say whatever he wants. To that note it is nice that he hasn’t once tried to take credit for anything.

I would still like to see the team address CB in the summer to hit maximum top level, but other than that, wow.

Another CB, and attacking depth so injuries wouldn’t have such a dramatic effect.

Of course I hope they never get those :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->