GWT: PL Matchweek 36

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Chelsea, United and Arsenal are just bleh.

All 3 need to be rebuilt... properly for once. You ain't catching City/Liverpool by simply opening the checkbook, those days are over.
All 3 need to invest in a core of younger players that fit whatever vision they set and just accept that they might not get the best results for a few years while they build a proper squad. Instead all 3 will spend money on stop gap players as usual.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
All 3 need to invest in a core of younger players that fit whatever vision they set and just accept that they might not get the best results for a few years while they build a proper squad. Instead all 3 will spend money on stop gap players as usual.

100%. It would also help if fans would be more accepting of this reality, instead of sharpening the guillotine after every loss for their respective managers.

It's not a coincidence that the clubs that are run the best (amongst the top 6 clubs) are also in the top 3 positions in the table.

Tottenham spent 0$ in the transfer market and they're still ahead because of infrastructure. Not to mention they're still competing in the CL.

Take notes or accept mediocrity, it's really their choice.

Last edited:

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
How can Arsenal spend money when supposedly they have no money to spend?

Torreira and Guendouzi are stop gaps? Arsenal know they're in transition and the talk is there will be a major change this summer with transfers.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
How can Arsenal spend money when supposedly they have no money to spend?

Torreira and Guendouzi are stop gaps? Arsenal know they're in transition and the talk is there will be a major change this summer with transfers.

Of the 3 clubs, I actually like what Arsenal's doing the most. I was a little disappointed when Mislintat left, but we'll see how they fare this summer in terms of transfers. That said, they have a huge job ahead of them if they want to compete for titles again and don't have the money the other two possess. (yes, I know Chelsea has a transfer ban)

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Of the 3 clubs, I actually like what Arsenal's doing the most. I was a little disappointed when Mislintat left, but we'll see how they fare this summer in terms of transfers. That said, they have a huge job ahead of them if they want to compete for titles again and don't have the money the other two possess. (yes, I know Chelsea has a transfer ban)

I don't think any Arsenal fans expect them to immediately challenge for the titles anytime soon. Have to undo the mess that Wenger did with the club before even thinking of titles.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't think any Arsenal fans expect them to immediately challenge for the titles anytime soon. Have to undo the mess that Wenger did with the club before even thinking of titles.
Yeah, ideally over the next couple years we remain competitive for champions league one way or another. Being this close to Europa is gravy

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Martial looks like he just arrived on the planet and is wondering why the native species are interacting with these strange spherical objects. Could be nothing, could be why he didn't come off the bench.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If I'm on my deathbed and I need one goal to save my life, I want Aguero.

Not Messi, not Ronaldo, not Salah, not Neymar, not Griezmann, not Mbappe.

Sergio Aguero.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Until you realize Aguero has a broken league. This is beyond ludicrous to say btw.
He's not better than any of the players I listed over any significant sample, but if you need one goal, he scores it. He's done it time and time again.

He even had the winner against Tottenham wrapped up but they decided they weren't playing defense that day.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He's not better than any of the players I listed over any significant sample, but if you need one goal, he scores it. He's done it time and time again.

He even had the winner against Tottenham wrapped up but they decided they weren't playing defense that day.
As has Messi and Ronaldo. Your post just reeks of EPL centrism.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As has Messi and Ronaldo. Your post just reeks of EPL centrism.
I admit, it's may favorite league, so maybe you're right about that :dunno:

Still, I feel he deserves credit. As a player who's not widely regarded as a top 10 player, he elevates himself to that when City desperately need a goal.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I admit, it's may favorite league, so maybe you're right about that :dunno:

Still, I feel he deserves credit. As a player who's not widely regarded as a top 10 player, he elevates himself to that when City desperately need a goal.
Kun is definitely underrated on here. Just because he's on a team that isn't popular and he's injury prone otherwise he's a gem. Better or on par with 2/3 of the players you listed. But that isn't the argument anyway.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kun is definitely underrated on here. Just because he's on a team that isn't popular and he's injury prone otherwise he's a gem. Better or on par with 2/3 of the players you listed. But that isn't the argument anyway.
Ok, so maybe I appreciate that Aguero gets to that level at the exact right time and I'm not taking into account that Messi and Ronaldo live at that level. That's fair.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Arsenal had no money to spend in Winter because of inflated contracts that Ivan and Arsene both gave away like free candy. Getting rid of all that nonsense including players like Mustafi, Ozil, El Neny, Jenkinson, Koscienly, Ramsey, and Welbeck should all help in structuring the club's finances better for the future. I would hope that Xhaka is hopefully added to the out list, but I can't see it due to how much Emery has played him this year.

CL is super-ultra-mega important for Arsenal to get into, some of those automatic funds can give us a bit of a buffer and open the ability to spend some legit money this summer (more than Chelsea who's getting transfer ban). Of course on the other side this will all take time and this season wasn't going to be bump-free either. None of Wenger's teams were built over night as well.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Cheers De Gea, Chelsea never looked like scoring. Good first half performance then the mistake came at the worst time. United looked knackered in the 2nd half.

How is Rojo a professional footballer? He's ****. Lukaku was good then tired like everyone, great pass for Mata's goal. Herrera straight back in with a good game after injury.

Subs didn't really make sense, needed a goal not ball allergic Alexis and another midfielder in McTom. Martial hasn't been great but at least he has pace and a bit of energy. Pereira can hit one too.

Solskjaer might've been sending a message to Lingard (not on bench) and Martial. Probably should do it with De Gea too.

Even Souness agrees that if you pull him, you lose him forever.

Bailly suffered an MCL injury and will miss the AFCON this summer. Lindelöf and Rojo are now the only fit central defenders...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Aguero is amazing. I always wished that he played for Liverpool. Reading this made me sad:
Back in 2007, shortly after joining Atletico Madrid, Sergio Aguero revealed that he would have loved to join Liverpool.
“If I had to choose a league then it would be the Premier League,” Aguero told German newspaper Munich TZ.
“I have been a Liverpool fan for as long as I can remember and it would be a dream to play there. I watched the Champions League final and celebrated every goal as if it was for Independiente.”

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Even Souness agrees that if you pull him, you lose him forever.

Bailly suffered an MCL injury and will miss the AFCON this summer. Lindelöf and Rojo are now the only fit central defenders...

Cool, they can drop Martial without consequences.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Damn, everyone was born dreaming of playing for Liverpool, that's a goddamn fact.
Give him the EPL TOTY now !
Do you really have to have a problem with everything? I posted a compliment to a player from another team, and then quoted something he said and said it made me sad.

Reactions: Machinehead

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

I don't think Aguero is underrated. Don't an overwhelming majority of fans and pundits rate him as one of the world's best strikers?

Equally, the job description of a professional footballer entails playing games of football. An injured player is for the period of his injury useless, because no amount of talent permits him to score a goal in a game he isn't playing in (obviously, the closest we've come to this happening to date is the 2016 Euros final, but even that was more a case of Eder cast as Regan to Ronaldo's touchline Pazuzu, with the latter presumably infecting the former with His holy aura by transmitting it through the blades of grass He'd bestrode during the game's first 25 minutes. So even when events take an uncanny turn the interaction of human or Demigod with playing surface remains an essential part of the process).

Playing for a club with City's depth, Aguero's injuries are less likely to be costly. But contrast it with such resilience as Thierry Henry missing only two games in two seasons between 2002 and 2004, despite being troubled during the latter campaign with an achilles injury, and he suffers by comparison.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Do you really have to have a problem with everything? I posted a compliment to a player from another team, and then quoted something he said and said it made me sad.
Just read what you post man... As Xavi said, it's beyond tiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad