GWT: PL Matchweek 32

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
On a more serious note, and maybe this isn't a rational fear, but one thing I'm a bit apprehensive about is a potential burn out. We've seen it happen with Klopp's teams before. Klopp's style and philosophy doesn't seem as easy to consistently replicate over a longer period of time compared to say what Pep does. It's not like they're out there carving teams apart with the same ease as City or relying solely on their offensive structure and fluidity to dominate teams...most of their wins, even the ones that look easy, require a very high level of effort and intensity and that can take a big toll over an extended period. Obviously that's just a knee-jerk reaction to a game in which Liverpool were likely hungover and just not up for the level that City brought, but it's still something to keep in mind. Liverpool have had a lot of close games over the last 2 seasons and despite the historic results it's not like it was all done in an extremely easy and dominant fashion.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Manchester City serve up football d’escalier, the perfect riposte a little too late | Barney Ronay

On a more serious note, and maybe this isn't a rational fear, but one thing I'm a bit apprehensive about it a potential burn out. We've seen it happen with Klopp's teams before. Klopp's style and philosophy doesn't seem as easy to consistently replicate over a longer period of time compared to say what Pep does. It's not like they're out there carving teams apart with the same ease as City or relying solely on their offensive structure and fluidity to dominate teams...most of their wins, even the ones that look easy, require a very high level of effort and intensity and that can take a big toll over an extended period. Obviously that's just a knee-jerk reaction to a game in which Liverpool were likely hungover and just not up for the level that City brought, but it's still something to keep in mind. Liverpool have had a lot of close games over the last 2 seasons and despite the historic results it's not like it was all done in an extremely easy and dominant fashion.

Some of them were just drunk for a week, but there's slightly more to it than that. Lee Dixon talked about it after the game. He said in a game like that after someone gives away a penalty, it's very hard to keep thinking "we need to win this game" when in fact they don't need to win this game. City on the other hand wanted to show they were better than being 20 points behind.

But really, what City’s performance highlighted was the splendour of Liverpool’s own achievement in winning the league so emphatically ahead of a team this good; the brilliance of Liverpool’s season while there was still a season to be won.

When the game mattered Liverpool beat them 3-1. I'm not particularly worried about next season although I do think as it comes to Wijnaldum they cannot afford to let that go unaddressed this summer. He either has to sign a new contract or be sold and replaced.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So how about those Liverpool fans laughing at Citeh now? Demolished and that was with their strongest side as well, even if they were playing half drunk from celebrating.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So how about those Liverpool fans laughing at Citeh now? Demolished and that was with their strongest side as well, even if they were playing half drunk from celebrating.
In a game that does not matter in the slightest. I’m no Liverpool OR City fan but this game had absolutely no meaning behind it. Both Liverpool and City are stuck in their spot in the table.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yes. We know Liverpool losing a game is the highlight of your season. I hope you enjoy it.

I’m laughing. I was offering cooking tips last night instead of avoiding the page. I’m just fine.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The one upside to no fans is getting to hear the players on the pitch. Exhibit A:

Didn't think Ogbonna was the type, he's so soft-spoken, but that's hilarious.

Reactions: S E P H

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I certainly would have liked to played better. I also think had one or two of the early chances gone in (Firmino should have finished, and Salah was unlucky) the match is likely a bit different.

That said, I don't think it really matters too much in the grand scheme of things beyond reminding Liverpool that City isn't going away. While I think they have more concerns than people will admit, (Aguero's health being the major question for me) they're going to be around as long as Pep is there, and as long as they can pay enough under the table to keep players there.

Liverpool being drunk / hungover isn't exactly an excuse I believe in a ton, but Liverpool not really playing as good as they could have because of having already won it by a mile kinda is. I don't think Klopp is hitting his burnout point yet. That is usually a matter that happens when players are just worn out. I don't know that he's worn players out yet. He has more players, along with the likelihood of another reprieve from the African Cup of Nations.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Arsenals related news has been so good recently with results and contract signings that I’m not ready for the reality check vs. Wolves tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad