GWT: PL Matchweek 27

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
i found this image for nothing
good-burger-969783ae-2bfd-430e-be1c-8df97144ac7-resize-750.jpg
To be fair, there's never a bad time for this image.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Liverpool are having a drop in form recently. I am getting very worried. I mean my favourite player the past few years has been Firmino but he needs to wake up... I will also say that LFC are miles better with Ox in the team. They better start playing him more.

Also they need to rework their corners... 16 corners no shot on net... unacceptable!

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I know how this is football, but two goals coming from a howler by the goalkeeper and a fortuitous bounce to go from no points to three points just shows how Liverpool is getting all of the bounces this season. Obviously good teams get lucky but it's still remarkable

For eons, these were the types of bounces that used to go against Liverpool.

This feels like things evening out given all the bad luck they had when they were playing second fiddle to Sir Alex's Dynastic Reds

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I mean, Liverpool have looked like this at various points in the season and relied on moments of magic, or big mistakes by the other team to get points. At the end of the day Liverpool just don't create much against a low block and that's not exactly a new problem.

Liverpool for eons was always the team that was on the wrong side of magic moments and were making the big mistakes.

This year feels like the odds evening out after 30 years of the opposite.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Obviously they're a fantastic club. Which is why I put in that last line. The Blues don't win the Cup last year without their fair share of bounces - hell, Jamie Benn probably should have put us out in Round 2.

Another example of one those types of bounces was WPG game 5

Reactions: bluesfan94

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I remember when our season went into a tail spin in large part because of a beach ball.

I do think this season is very much a balancing of the scales and we've had some luck. Of course, any team that wins all but one game has to be extremely great and has to have received quite a bit of luck.

Reactions: bluesfan94

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I remember when our season went into a tail spin in large part because of a beach ball.

I do think this season is very much a balancing of the scales and we've had some luck. Of course, any team that wins all but one game has to be extremely great and has to have received quite a bit of luck.

Moments like that are why I feel that any luck Liverpool has recieved this season is partly overdue because of all the misfortune they have had to put up with in the Premier League.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The invincibles played in a much tougher era when teams would win the league on about 78-80 points, a time in which any PL team could beat anyone. On paper the invincibles are the best team in PL history, not even up for debate. Manchester United in 1999 are second, and far ahead of the rest. Not losing a single game is a testament to longevity more than anything else, getting 110 points but still losing would be less impressive.

The best player in PL history in Henry leading the line, all time great Bergkamp supplying him, the ultimate complete midfielder in Vieira commanding the midfield and a rock solid, no nonsense central defensive partnership. This Liverpool team would not stand a tiny little chance on earth against that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The era was more tough defensively, but it wasn't "tougher" in the sense of winning. There are more great players in this era than there were in that one. That era was also much more about physicality than being good at football.

Mid-table and bottom teams are now more easily able to afford match winners, but they still aren't winning because this is a very difficult league to be successful in.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The era was more tough defensively, but it wasn't "tougher." There are more great players in this era than there were in that one.

Mid-table and bottom teams are now more easily able to afford match winners is what I'm really saying.

The gap in points and money between the top and bottom is so incredibly much larger now. I am not sure there are more great players now to be honest, there were plenty of class mid table players back then too.

Arsene Wengers Arsenal redefined physicality being the most important thing by playing beautiful faced-paced passing football unlike the Premier League had ever seen anything close to at the time. The technique and flair was just incredible, maybe the most beautiful to watch team in footballing history.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The two Arsenal teams before the invincibles were better to watch than the invincibles btw. You don't know what free-flowing football was unless you saw the 02-03 team. Amazing going forward and amazingly bad at defending.

Reactions: Cassano and AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

Well you will probably be the only one disagreeing that the invincibles are the best in Premier League history along with United 99. Can’t see how anything expect for what Hatterson said is worthy of a lol.

Arsenal had the league wrapped up extremely early and drew most of the games they drew were very late on with a little amount of games to go in which they rested a bunch of stars, without that much to play for. People like to use draws as an argument against Arsenal, but the fact is, no team was that good against that high quaility opposition, and of course no one went unbeaten because it is basically impossible.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->