GWT: PL Matchweek 26

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by Savant, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon Dybalascibar

He falters mostly because he's injured every major tournament.

2. kyle evs48

kyle evs48 Devilish Boy Grin

This is the midfield I thought would be first-choice in August. It's taken a bit longer for Keita and Fabinho to settle in but they looked great on Saturday.

YNWA14 likes this.
  3. koyvoo

koyvoo For Badgeholders Only

Kane may be a more clinical pure finisher, Aguero better at interacting with supporting players.

4. YNWA14

YNWA14 Onbreekbaar

Seems a bit extreme. Aguero is definitely top class but he doesn't bring the same defensive effort someone like Cavani (who you could definitely argue as the best striker currently) brings for example nor is his aerial game or tenacity on the level of guys like Suarez/Lewandowski who are also better at linking up with others. There's definitely a case for Salah to be better as well but I like them both for different reasons. Salah is very frustrating at times for sure but given how he's produced and the chances he's created since joining Liverpool it's not a crackhead opinion to think he'd be marginally better or on the same tier.

5. hatterson

hatterson Registered User

Software Developer
    Kane is more clinical than Kun, but Aguero is better overall.

I'd also take Aguero over Salah at the #9 any day of the week although there's no reason you couldn't start both of them since I think Salah is best when he's out wider either playing off another striker or playing with someone in a false 9 role.

SJSharks39 and koyvoo like this.
  6. Corto

Corto Faceless Man

I mean, he's great... but he's far from a complete striker. His pace is limited and he's hardly a flying fortress at 1.72m.

I also think Kane dropping back and getting involved in the play is a completely underrated part of his game.
    As is the case with Benzema, Suarez or Lewa.

And coincidentally, I don't think Aguero's peak is comparable to either of those latter 3.

mmvvpp likes this.
  7. bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223 Registered User

Conte and Jose masked Chelsea's issues and also highlighted them. In the title years, they proved a system can overcome squad problems, but in the following season, the opponents figured the system out and Chelsea's squad wasn't good enough to overcome it. We need to stick with Sarri, even if it means no Champions League, and see a complete squad overhaul through, it won't even require the huge of one. We need a LCM that can score goals or assist and help Jorginho when he's pressed. We need a new LB that is athletic, but still solid defensively. Then it's about upgrading the front 3, but that depends on the future of Hazard and Hudson-Odoi.

That squad isn't that far off, but it's very flawed to play Sarri's style and simply inadequate to be top 4 consistently with any manager. It's very much like Arsenal or Liverpool in the pre-Klopp days, even the signings lately have been like those clubs. Spending money on guys like Drinkwater and Zappacosta is simply throwing money out the window.

8. Creed Bratton

Creed Bratton Registered User

Biznus
    Kane has a better shot, is a workhorse and is much taller and stronger.

Apart from the shot, Aguero is more technically profficient than Kane in pretty much every aspect. He is also more mobile.

Think the difference between them is marginal. Up to what type of player you'd prefer.

spintheblackcircle likes this.
  9. East Coast Bias

East Coast Bias Registered User

Kane and Aguero are actually joint leaders in PL scoring rate (.70 goals per game) among those who have 100 career PL goals. Just ahead of Shearer (.67) and Henry (.68).

I think Aguero's been underrated in his time in the PL, but a lot of that I think is down to nostalgia. We have this tendency to overrate the past and underrate the now.

10. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

Or it could be that neither did it with the support they have to day and Henry actually produced the most goals ever for his NT along with a WC and an EC to show for it.

Those two are still better all time than Kane and Aguero by a country mile.

11. East Coast Bias

East Coast Bias Registered User

Yeah I don't mean they're better than Henry. I'm saying in 15 years, I think we'll look at them more positively than we do today.

12. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

I think everyone is seeing them positively. They're both top 10 strikers in the world in any ranking. As for Top 5, both can be argued there without much of a problem. It depends on what you want from your striker.
    Lewa is a deadly striker in the box. He has size and technique.
    Aguero is a small striker, which means he has zero impact on high balls, but is a sneaky bastard whose movement in the box is hard to track for defensemen. He doesn't participate defensively.
    Benzema isn't the most deadly striker but hes probably the best in terms of link up play. And he still produces nicely.
    Kane links up well in midfield, but isn't overly fast. His shot is a huge plus.
    Cavani can't build up play because of his relatively poor technique. But his ability to be everywhere on the pitch, his work rate and his aerial ability make him a specialy player. He's IMO the best player in the world off the ball as well. His misses do tarnish his claim to top 1 striker however.
    Suarez isn't the player he once was, but he still can take over a game anytime. He can do it all (though not great in the air).
    Icardi is a deadly striker, a bit similar to Trezeguet in that he is on the field first and foremost to score and not much else.
    Aubameyang is so fast it's sick. He has developped his finishing but still lacks IQ and work rate in some situations.
    Lacazette is still developping but has a lot of everything. Link up play, finishing, passing. His lack of consistency in big games has hurt him.
    Mbappe is still played out of position quite often, but as a 9 he is deadly because of his pace, power and technique.

Those are likely my top 10 in no order (I don't see Salah as a 9, nor Messi or Ronaldo).

13. Havre

Havre Registered User

Kane isn’t supported by poor players of course, but give him KDB, a couple of Silvas etc and I really don’t see how he wouldn’t be scoring more than Aguero.

As for his overall play I honestly thought he was going to be a number 10 early on in his career. He has it, but with the way Spurs are set up he has to stay disciplined being positioned more as a poacher.

Either way. Two brilliant players.

As for Lewandowski and Benzema. They have clearly played their best football. I’m not going to say Kane is better than peak Lewandowaki, but I certainly wouldn’t have swapped them now. Benzema is a bit different. I don’t see how he could have been as successful without someone like Ronaldo to support with the goal scoring.

Mbappe will most likely be the best forward quite soon (even if things tend to change quickly). Kane might very well be considered the second best if he can continue developing while Aguero, Cavani etc are reaching an age where they will start to decline.

14. Corto

Corto Faceless Man

Also, I forgot Mandzukic.

I'm joking. Though if it's a big game you need to win, I'd pick him ahead of a lot of the above mentioned guys.

15. The Abusement Park

The Abusement Park Registered User

Yeah I’d say that Aguero, Suarez, and Lewa have been the best strikers over the last ~6 years or so with Cavani not far behind.

16. Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon Dybalascibar

Complete in terms of build up play but he's actually ok in terms of aerial ability relative to his height.

He's very behind when you consider him in front of goal as the most important aspect.

17. Corto

Corto Faceless Man

I think that's fair, he's not the best in the air but has good timing etc. - still doesn't help vs top defenders who tower over him...
    But out of all the guys we mentioned, he's possibly the best "penalty box snake", sneaking behind defenders and exploiting the little space he gets.

18. The Abusement Park

He’s averaged basically 30 goals a years for the last 10 seasons. So I mean while he’s definitely behind those 3 I don’t think he’s miles behind considering he’s probably the most well rounded striker in the world.

19. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

Huh, how so?
    Cavani gets the most chances of any striker out there because he's outstanding off the ball.
    In fact, he's the one carrying Uruguay. Cavani's goal scoring record at CF is impeccable.

20. hatterson

hatterson Registered User

Software Developer
    Since the beginning of 16-17, which is just over 2.5 seasons:
    PlayerGamesGoals
    Cavani123111
    Aguero11486
    Suarez13384
    Lewandowski124109

Not really sure how you can say that Cavani falls behind when it comes to scoring since he's got the best record of the four.

21. The Abusement Park

Ok I lied. Cavani is by far the best striker over the last couple seasons :sarcasm:

22. United

United Registered User

I hate to say it but Aguero is probably the second best striker in PL history after Henry.

23. The Abusement Park

He’s not better than Shearer.

24. United

United Registered User

For me he is. Shearer was a great goalscorer but he has never played for a top club and hasn't won enough trophies to be in the top 3 for me.

25. tony d

tony d HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Office Worker
    Both Kane and Aguero are good players, can't go wrong with either. In a pinch I go with Kane.