GWT: PL Matchweek 26

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The worst part about this disaster is I have no confidence that it will lead to Sarri making any meaningful adjustments.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Well. Chelsea did twice as well in the second compared to the first.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Saw this on reddit.

1. Be Chelsea.
  2. Invest in counterattacking-based players and coaches for well over a decade.
  3. Build that squad around a core of players who bleed blue.
  4. Win the league now and then.
  5. Do nothing with those titles every time and sack a succession of good managers.
  6. Let said core be phased out without adequate long-term replacements.
  7. Latest successful title and cup-winning manager complains about said doing nothing.
  8. Buy Danny Drinkwater.
  9. Sack that manager.
  10. Bring in possession-based coach.
  11. Buy one player who can play possession-based football.
  12. Turns out a counterattacking squad can't play possession-based football.
  13. Get absolutely smacked by City and Bournemouth looking like fish trying to climb trees.
  14. Become Arsenal
I'm sad. Firing the managers and keeping this group of players has been so disgusting

Reactions: Gecklund

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Kun is the best 9 in the world... change my mind

Dzeko_Maicon.gif

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You lot know how I dislike Chelsea, but I am going to defend them here. They just changed managers, especially managers who have different ends of the spectrum when it came to playing styles. Did some of you think that Chelsea's season wouldn't have taken any dips at all? That's some naive thinking IMHO. If Arsenal went through dips as we have, then Chelsea absolutely should face some questions too since it is just the nature of the beast. Both of these teams have a ton of players and personnel from the last regime which should take multiple seasons to get what and who they want in. And the benefit for Chelsea is they have Russian blood money to fuel the change in guard much faster than a lot of other teams can including Arsenal. It's only if Roman will give Sarri enough time to implement his changes' before his trigger happy finger becomes James Bond's next villain. Now sell Sideshow Bob as soon as humanly possible and you guys' should do a lot better.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
You lot know how I dislike Chelsea, but I am going to defend them here. They just changed managers, especially managers who have different ends of the spectrum when it came to playing styles. Did some of you think that Chelsea's season wouldn't have taken any dips at all? That's some naive thinking IMHO. If Arsenal went through dips as we have, then Chelsea absolutely should face some questions too since it is just the nature of the beast. Both of these teams have a ton of players and personnel from the last regime which should take multiple seasons to get what and who they want in. And the benefit for Chelsea is they have Russian blood money to fuel the change in guard much faster than a lot of other teams can including Arsenal. It's only if Roman will give Sarri enough time to implement his changes' before his trigger happy finger becomes James Bond's next villain. Now sell Sideshow Bob as soon as humanly possible and you guys' should do a lot better.
You're half correct here. Chelsea should not have been expected to finish anything better than 4-6 this year. We were always going to get trashed a few times, the same way that Klopp and Guardiola were in their first years.

But, chelsea has been overdue for a squad overhaul for a while. Conte was such a damn good coach. I still think that if it came down to ONE game to win it all, there's no one in the world I'd rather have. He was fantastic at adjustments and getting the most out of what he was given. The board has failed at not addressing the player situation for years. Seriously, we lost Terry, Lampard, Drogba, and Cech and failed to address leadership issues.

Conte was always dead right about everything. I personally haven't enjoyed watching Sarri-Ball. Even when we started hot, I found it boring. I've barely watched recently. But they need to give him at least two more seasons after this. Let him overhaul the squad and build it his way.

FFS turning down a 70m bid for Willian f***ing stupid board

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Chelsea's been a poorly run club for awhile now, imo. Ever since Roman took a step back , and the money hasn't been spent as wildly, they haven't been able to mask their organizational flaws to the same degree.

It's a short-termist club , that hired a manager that needs time. They've had a series of pragmatic win-now coaches since Roman took over and now they've hired a purist with a squad that will quit on a manager at the drop of a hat.

Either give him the requisite time needed to form the squad the way he wants or let him go. Chelsea has taken the players' side so many times now that any sign of discomfort makes everyone think about sacking the manager. Such is the culture of the club , and it permeates it's way to the fans.

He's a really good coach, and I'm tired of all the dumb hot-takes. The issues we're seeing at Chelsea go well beyond Sarri.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Kun is the best 9 in the world... change my mind

He's up there and always was.
His international pedigree is where he falters, but for City he's been enormous.

I still take this version of Suarez over him (which is not peak Suarez).
And Lewa.
And Benzema.
And Kane.
Depending on if you're playing Mbappe as a 9, him too.

But you're right, he's a top, top player and generally gets underrated when people talk about the very best.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also I really hope that Wijnaldum/Fabinho/Keita kick on from here. They should be the first choice midfield and if they can stay healthy are the perfect trio for Liverpool. Wijnaldum deservedly MotM...dark horse for Liverpool PotY.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Wijnaldum deservedly MotM...dark horse for Liverpool PotY.

He's been awesome. All the other midfielders have had highs and lows, but he's been the one guy consistently putting in top performances.
(mind you, not really fair on Milner who was mostly very good in midfield but gets shuffled to whatever positions has injury players there)

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Let's take a moment to respect what Conte accomplished.

Won a PL title and I believe was close to setting wins record. He did this with Victor Moses as his RB, Gary Cahill as his CB, William, Pedro, past his prime Cesc, etc. Clearly not the best of squads at the time. He inherited a team that flirted with regulation for large parts of season before.

Went undefeated with Matri, Vucenic and Quagriella as his striker trio in Serie A. Dragging Juve from previous 8th place finish.

Led weakest Italy euro team ever to final 8 in 2016. Humiliated Spain with players like Giacherini, Graziano Pelle and Eder in r16. Lost only in a shootout to the Germans who they outplayed that game.

He put in the groundwork for the Juventus dynasty we see today.

Reactions: koyvoo

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
He inherited a team that flirted with regulation for large parts of season before.

Because their talent was that of a relegation side....

or, you know, they quit on Mourinho.

Conte's a great manager, but this is a nice slant.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He's up there and always was.
His international pedigree is where he falters, but for City he's been enormous.

I still take this version of Suarez over him (which is not peak Suarez).
And Lewa.
And Benzema.
And Kane.
Depending on if you're playing Mbappe as a 9, him too.

But you're right, he's a top, top player and generally gets underrated when people talk about the very best.

Point of view/matter of opinion

I personally don't appreciate Robert Lewandowski nor Benzema, at all, both highly overrated
highly mood type of players, they can be brilliant but disappear for most of the match
or half of the season even.

Kane is way better than both of them, on a different tier even.

What comes to Suarez...you either like him, or you hate him,
he has all the skill, but even today, not always the brain.

Sergio Aguero is the best #9 in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad