GWT: PL Matchweek 26

United

Mar 3, 2018
Henry>Aguero>Rooney>Shearer>RVN=RVP=Cantona=Bergkamp=Suarez>Kane=Drogba

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Peak Suarez may have been the best season in PL history. No way he's below any of those guys.

United

Mar 3, 2018
Suarez was deadly during the last two seasons at Pool but he moved away so quickly without wining anything that I can not put him above some of those players.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Peak Suarez may have been the best season in PL history. No way he's below any of those guys.

Probably true. But he wasn’t there long enough to be better than the mentioned players as an EPL striker.

RVP 12/13 & 13/14 also aren’t far behind imo.

United

Mar 3, 2018
Cantona wasn't even a striker. Equal to RVP is insulting.
Cantona like Rooney played all over the place but they were forwards none the less. And yes I am a massive RVP fan. He and Bergkamp have had an certain elegancy in their play which really appealed to me even though Arsenal back then was my most hated club.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Do keep in mind that Kane is only 25 and probably hasn't peaked yet.

I think he could’ve peaked last year, but maybe not. But I think he’ll still be a consistent 30 goal scorer for the next ~5 years or so. He’s a legit threat to shearers record imo.

United

Mar 3, 2018
No doubt Kane is very good, he has great stats, it seems he scores every time I watch him play but there is something off putting about him, something that I can't even explain. I am just not his biggest fan, despite recognizing him being a very good striker.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Newcastle goes up 1-0 against the run of play. Wolves could use a #9 in the vain of the players being discussed here.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No doubt Kane is very good, he has great stats, it seems he scores every time I watch him play but there is something off putting about him, something that I can't even explain. I am just not his biggest fan, despite recognizing him being a very good striker.

I know what you mean I’m kinda the same way about him. But he’s well on his way to being a top 5 striker in the EPL.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I think he could’ve peaked last year, but maybe not. But I think he’ll still be a consistent 30 goal scorer for the next ~5 years or so. He’s a legit threat to shearers record imo.

The best I've seen Kane was early to mid last season. He was pretty unstoppable. After that he picked up a rather minor injury, insisted on still playing and hasn't regained that form since. I'm admittedly a bit worried of how he'll turn out after his current injury.

He is absolutely gunning for Shearer's record. Probably one of the most determined players out there.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The best I've seen Kane was early to mid last season. He was pretty unstoppable. After that he picked up a rather minor injury, insisted on still playing and hasn't regained that form since. I'm admittedly a bit worried of how he'll turn out after his current injury.

He is absolutely gunning for Shearer's record. Probably one of the most determined players out there.

Even if he did peak last year he’s still got plenty of prime years left.

I’m gonna assume Kane ends the season with ~130 goals all time. Then he’ll need 130 goals to tie it, I’d assume he keeps playing till his mid 30’s probably so assuming he can average like 15 goals for the next ~7 years or so that record will be pretty attainable.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Even if he did peak last year he’s still got plenty of prime years left.

I’m gonna assume Kane ends the season with ~130 goals all time. Then he’ll need 130 goals to tie it, I’d assume he keeps playing till his mid 30’s probably so assuming he can average like 15 goals for the next ~7 years or so that record will be pretty attainable.
You forget that he’s following Pochettino to Madrid in the summer.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I mean... Spanish refs get all the hate, but english refs... jesus...

That goal by Wolves in the 95th minute. Dude had his arms around Dubravka’s neck, an absolute joke to not see that.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

SSF

Oct 5, 2017

That goal by Wolves in the 95th minute. Dude had his arms around Dubravka’s neck, an absolute joke to not see that.

still only the 2nd most garbage goal that player has scored this year; the other one may turn out to be even bigger in the grand scheme of things though.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Kane's great , he's just super clunky, and I think that turns a lot of people off.

A lot of my Serie A pals think he's vastly overrated, but I disagree. He's worked his socks off to become one of the best, and despite not being one of the most flashy, he's a guy I'd take on my team any day.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Fast technical players and big strong ones always get the attention. I remember when Utd fans where discussing Lukaku vs. Kane. Seems a bit silly now.

I don´t think Kane will ever be considered better than Henry. Henry just had more aspects to his game, but give Kane someone like Bergkamp to play next to and I could see him reaching 30+ multiple times (in the league). That would be pretty special.

Reactions: Gecklund

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Assuming he doesn't suffer a career ending injury or move to Madrid, Kane will break Rooney's single team record, although by that time it'll likely be Aguero's record and he's obviously got a great chance of breaking Shearer's overall scoring record. 25 league goals a season would put him there around when he's 30

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't think it is wrong to say that Kane is a better pure goalscorer, but there is no doubt in my mind that Aguero is the better player.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I’m not sure how to compare Kane and Aguero. They are almost as different as forwards can be.

I’m quite certain Aguero would never be as successful at Spurs as Kane has been. The support when Eriksen, Alli and Son are playing is very solid, but that is a recent thing. Kane hasn’t had nearly the support Aguero has had up until now. And even now Aguero has the better support so...

Would Kane be successful at City? That I have absolutely now doubt about. Kane is a master at finding pockets from the penalty spot and in. Is there any team in Europe that score more tap in goals than City? Kane would also score a lot more headers than Aguero. What Kane misses in a team like City compare to Aguero is his quick feet. There would be a risk Kane would become Ibrahimovic at Barcelona, but I doubt it. Kane is also very good at one touch passes and his technical ability in tight areas is surprisingly good for a bigger player.

Not that I have any problems understanding why many would prefer Aguero. He has flashes of individual brilliance through his speed and dribling ability that Kane could never match. And he can drive play on the counter attack in a way Kane can’t. Especially in open games where play is moving quickly from one side to the other he is better than Kane. Kane in such situations relies much more on being a traditional target man. Holding off a defender to release Son or Alli. In many ways Kane and Aguero would supplement each other perfectly.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

Not a foul lol get out of here. If that's a foul Ritchie should have got about 5 red cards for diving.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Not a foul lol get out of here. If that's a foul Ritchie should have got about 5 red cards for diving.

? Clear foul. Arm impedes the goalkeeper as his arms are going up.
I don't care about Ritche or whatever other whataboutitsm... That's just a clear foul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad