GWT: PL Matchweek 25

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
That's the thing though, we don't know who is calling the shots with transfers in the majority of cases. It'd be great if we did, but people seem to think it's always down to the manager and it's not. Transfer targets can be, IE a manager asks for a CB, but that doesn't mean he gets Van Dijk.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, he might not be calling the shots, but he has enough clout to have them go get a central defender. I just think he feels he rather go get a midfielder attacker or fullback rather than spend money on what’s really a position of dislike and low value for him.

I also know they did not expect Stones to be this poor.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It didn't have to be a revolution and maybe it wasn't, but if it wasn't a revolution then it was a very notable evolution. That said, it was definitely a revolution and a notable one at that. And while this season isn't going well, as @Chimaera noted there have been some injuries. Losing Laporte and Sane as they have is a very big deal. They should still being playing better and I wouldn't expect any sympathy for a club with this resources, but losing two players like that generally much less considering their respective impacts last season is huge.

I wouldn't expect City to be able to compete with Liverpool when you lose players like that to injury. The same way Liverpool obviously wouldn't be the same if van Dijk (Laporte) and Mane/Salah (Sane) were out. But it is not like other teams haven't had injuries as well. Spurs were lucky over the weekend, but that was a mish mash of a team that could still play against City. The same way teams like Norwich have done before them. If Guardiola can't win unless he spends hundreds of millions on full backs and got a fully fit squad then my assessment stands. He is good, but not special.

And for the record. I believe City can win the CL this year. I'm just not impressed with how this City team is trending a bit longer term. Obviously Guardiola could prove me wrong, but I would be surprised. Especially if FFP is making it more difficult for him to completely outspend everyone else.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Liverpool have had injuries of a significant level. They're just better equipped to weather them.

Matip has basically been out much of the season, and while not Laporte's level good, he had played at a superior level down the stretch for most of last season. Throw in both Gomez and Lovren being hurt. If Virgil was to get hurt, it would make a big deal, but they've got 3 other central defenders who vary from decent/passable (Lovren) to pretty good (Matip) to excellent (Gomez).

Alisson missed most of the first part of the season. Liverpool basically went with a guy off the street from the first league match.

Fabinho was Liverpool's best midfielder, and probably is one of the best holding midfielders in the world, and they weathered it. Heck, they've had a bit of an uptick. Keita has been in and out of the lineup his whole Liverpool career, even when he showed spurts of being a dynamic option.

Mane's out now. Ox is only recently back, and still getting fitness. Milner hurt.

Sure, they've been lucky in some areas, but Liverpool have continued to roll even with big injuries.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I wouldn't agree with that description. Liverpool have kept their core healthy for a long long time now. Of course some games have been missed from Mane and Firmino, but nothing comparable to City losing KDB, Sane, Laporte etc. Not that Spurs would have been a threat anyway, but I guess Kane has missed more games than all of Liverpool's key outfield players combined (or at least close to).

It is just the way it works. When Leicester and Chelsea won they were able to keep on playing their core week after week. And as soon as you get going it is so much easier for squad players to slot in. I remember the spring Spurs won 13 out of 14 or 15 games. It didn't really matter who played it just all worked. Credit to Liverpool for extending this period over such a long time though. Amazingly well done - even if they obviously will come down to earth at some point.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Their front three have remained relatively healthy, that is certainly true. Sure, they've been somewhat lucky in other areas. But to act like they haven't weathered some difficulty with injury is more in line in the revisionism that the var crap is living in, or the lack of respect that's presently going through some of the pundit groups.

Admittedly, they've had some lucky breaks, but much of their ability to weather injuries over the past few seasons has been their depth and planning, more so than any unnatural luck. Even with that luck, they've played more matches than basically anyone.

Liverpool have 4 quality central defenders. They've got 6-7 midfielders who can play for a lot of clubs up and down the table. They lucked out in Adrian being good enough to step in. Sure, the front three have been relatively healthy, and that's certainly luck. But they've also shown they can win matches without them. I'd argue some of that luck is down to preparation and having one of the better fitness programs in football.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It's not only the front three. van Dijk and Robertson have played a lot as well. And lately Arnold.

Remove van Dijk the same way Laporte is out and obviously things shift a bit. Not necessarily so that City is suddenly the better team, but obviously a lot closer than it is today. Similar with Spurs. Never been on the level Liverpool are now, but at their best Kane was fit and scored 30+ goals. Add a 30+ goals forward like Kane even in today's team and that team is much close to being a 80 points something instead of 60 points team.

What I will give Liverpool credit for is how when Salah slows down a bit Mane takes over etc. Spurs haven't got that high end depth and City have also lacked some of that - even if that is clearly partly down to injuries.

And before AB13 and others start to react. Not adding Spurs to the conversation because I think that team is anyway on par with Liverpool and City, but it is the team I know the best. And I believe before the season it wasn't all that controversial saying Spurs were the only team with an outside chance challenging Pool and City for the title (for two games that outside chance lasted).

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Son has been terrific for the Spurs with a goal in four consecutive games. Mourinho praises his efforts, and, with Kane injured, he should become the captain of the team, especially since Eriksen has left for Inter Milan. Dele Alli's not an effective striker as Son is, nor midfielders like Ndombele and Davies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Son has been terrific for the Spurs with a goal in four consecutive games. Mourinho praises his efforts, and, with Kane injured, he should become the captain of the team, especially since Eriksen has left for Inter Milan. Dele Alli's not an effective striker as Son is, nor midfielders like Ndombele and Davies.

Son doesn't really strike me as the leader type. Lloris is the captain now and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina book their ticket to the Olympics. With a game to spare, with an impressive 6 wins 0 draws 0 losses. Their youths are very underrated and seldom talked about in comparison to Brasil or even Uruguay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->