GWT: PL Matchweek 24/25

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You think he doesn't work in the UK? You think the rest of the world is getting that BIS?

Heck, you think the United team is operating in the US? You know, since United's owner is based in the US...

I'm just saying Bein Sports isn't available in the UK.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
VAR is the only way to go moving forward.

British football biggest flaw versus other championship is officiating.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liverpool clearly missing Coutinho. They can get him back this Summer for only 223 million.
Lost in all of this is that Liverpool are still sitting at the top of the table, have 1 loss on the season, and all of this talk is in anticipation of them losing the lead to a juggernaut City team. They're not 'missing' anyone persay (though I know this was a joke, I think some people would actually believe that). They're having their best season in the PL era, which makes it all the crazier that there's a good chance they won't even finish on top.

The issue is that before the season started everyone pegged City as the easy favourites for the league; look at what they did last season. Now Liverpool were sitting atop the league at Christmas and had a chance to bolster their roster, but rather than insulate themselves they just racked up injuries. So after everyone had adjusted their expectations now they'll feel extremely let down at the turn of events (understandable). In reality though Liverpool are having a massive season, have been extremely successful so far and bigger picture as much as I want them to win the title and the CL if they finish 2nd in the PL and make it past the Ro16 again in the CL that's a pretty good season and still leaves a lot to build on.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Lost in all of this is that Liverpool are still sitting at the top of the table, have 1 loss on the season, and all of this talk is in anticipation of them losing the lead to a juggernaut City team. They're not 'missing' anyone persay (though I know this was a joke, I think some people would actually believe that). They're having their best season in the PL era, which makes it all the crazier that there's a good chance they won't even finish on top.

The issue is that before the season started everyone pegged City as the easy favourites for the league; look at what they did last season. Now Liverpool were sitting atop the league at Christmas and had a chance to bolster their roster, but rather than insulate themselves they just racked up injuries. So after everyone had adjusted their expectations now they'll feel extremely let down at the turn of events (understandable). In reality though Liverpool are having a massive season, have been extremely successful so far and bigger picture as much as I want them to win the title and the CL if they finish 2nd in the PL and make it past the Ro16 again in the CL that's a pretty good season and still leaves a lot to build on.

They won the league by 19 points, and finished 25 pts above Liverpool. Yes most people figured they'd win the league again.

A couple of you started this in the EPL thread talking about taking notes on people's predictions. As if you're gonna expose the people who backed the overwhelming statistical favorite as haters! It's nonsense. Did you expect non-Liverpool fans to like them to win the league this year, pre-season?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
They won the league by 19 points, and finished 25 pts above Liverpool. Yes most people figured they'd win the league again.

A couple of you started this in the EPL thread talking about taking notes on people's predictions. As if you're gonna expose the people who backed the overwhelming statistical favorite as haters! It's nonsense. Did you expect non-Liverpool fans to like them to win the league this year, pre-season?
I don't really know what you're getting at here. My point is that it's not some huge failure if Liverpool don't win the league, and not very many people expected them to in the first place. They're having a historically great season at this point and a lot of the sentiment around them is negative. Who is calling anyone a hater, or trying to expose anything?

'A couple of you'...huh? Pretty sure I put Liverpool 2nd in my pre-season prediction (EDIT: Actually I put them 1st, but definitely never chided anyone who predicted them lower).

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I love the difference in opinion between Klopp and Mourinho even though they’re basically the same personality with different play styles

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
As far as I'm concerned if you can't admit your team was the favorite 2 weeks ago and is busy trying to choke away a title with back to back draws then you don't deserve to enjoy a win if it does happen.

Were they the favorite at the start of the season? No. Were they the favorite when they had a home game against Leicester who had lost a total of 7 of their last 11 games in all comps with the chance to go 7 points clear with 14 games remaining? Hell yes.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
As far as I'm concerned if you can't admit your team was the favorite 2 weeks ago and is busy trying to choke away a title with back to back draws then you don't deserve to enjoy a win if it does happen.
You said this before already and I still don't agree with it. Not that I think you or anyone else get to decide who deserves to enjoy their teams' success anyway. They're not choking away anything; unless you think that City choked away the title from the get go by allowing Liverpool to go ahead of them at any point.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
You said this before already and I still don't agree with it. Not that I think you or anyone else get to decide who deserves to enjoy their teams' success anyway. They're not choking away anything; unless you think that City choked away the title from the get go by allowing Liverpool to go ahead of them at any point.

City lost back to back games in December and then lost to a relegation contender a week ago, I'd absolutely consider that choking away their shot at a title. Liverpool is just trying to choke them back into it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
City lost back to back games in December and then lost to a relegation contender a week ago, I'd absolutely consider that choking away their shot at a title. Liverpool is just trying to choke them back into it.
Or, you know, teams just drop points over a 38 game season. Nobody is winning every single game and there are always circumstances around these games. Liverpool, regardless of whether they were dominant or not, definitely had some good fortune in the first half of the season (just like City got last season). If City can drop points so can Liverpool; that doesn't make them chokers it just means they're not perfect. City have better depth and more importantly are a better team at consistently beating smaller sides which is very important in a title race. They also won the head to head with Liverpool which when neither team is dropping that many points to mid/bottom table is a big deal.

Teams can be very good, not win a title, and still not be chokers. I especially find the Christmas break statistic amusing given how much of the season is left to be played. Does anyone really expect City to drop many points along the way? No, but Liverpool have to be perfect to close out the season or they're chokers? Seems reasonable.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I've never considered choking to be the same thing as not living up to expectations. It's more like squandering a good situation that you have put yourself in.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Or, you know, teams just drop points over a 38 game season. Nobody is winning every single game and there are always circumstances around these games. Liverpool, regardless of whether they were dominant or not, definitely had some good fortune in the first half of the season (just like City got last season). If City can drop points so can Liverpool; that doesn't make them chokers it just means they're not perfect. City have better depth and more importantly are a better team at consistently beating smaller sides which is very important in a title race. They also won the head to head with Liverpool which when neither team is dropping that many points to mid/bottom table is a big deal.

Teams can be very good, not win a title, and still not be chokers. I especially find the Christmas break statistic amusing given how much of the season is left to be played. Does anyone really expect City to drop many points along the way? No, but Liverpool have to be perfect to close out the season or they're chokers? Seems reasonable.

Keep using that Christmas bit if you want to feel better.

On January 30th they were playing a Leicester team in poor form with a chance to go 7 clear with 14 games remaining. They drew that game and the next game against a bottom half side to let City back into it.

I call that choking.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
And yeah Liverpool is close to choking, squandering, blowing it, or whatever term you want to use. The title still is there’s too lose, but now there’s only 1 game between them and city. I’m interested to see how they handle the rest of this season.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I don't really know what you're getting at here. My point is that it's not some huge failure if Liverpool don't win the league, and not very many people expected them to in the first place. They're having a historically great season at this point and a lot of the sentiment around them is negative. Who is calling anyone a hater, or trying to expose anything?

'A couple of you'...huh? Pretty sure I put Liverpool 2nd in my pre-season prediction (EDIT: Actually I put them 1st, but definitely never chided anyone who predicted them lower).

Most Liverpool fans picked Liverpool to win it all. Which is fine. There's nothing wrong with that. But you all clearly felt as though you had a chance. And after that, there were several references (started by you) about not being able to wait to revisit this.

Although my personal favs from that thread (neither were your comments) were Mahrez was a great price when you look at Pogba's, and after 1 PL game - Keita is everything people thought Pogba should be. Lol.

Mar 1, 2002
Keep using that Christmas bit if you want to feel better.

On January 30th they were playing a Leicester team in poor form with a chance to go 7 clear with 14 games remaining. They drew that game and the next game against a bottom half side to let City back into it.

I call that choking.

you can't choke in the middle of a season.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Most Liverpool fans picked Liverpool to win it all. Which is fine. There's nothing wrong with that. But you all clearly felt as though you had a chance. And after that, there were several references (started by you) about not being able to wait to revisit this.

Although my personal favs from that thread (neither were your comments) were Mahrez was a great price when you look at Pogba's, and after 1 PL game - Keita is everything people thought Pogba should be. Lol.
Or "United is a not top 4 team regardless of a coach" and then after Mou fired ironically "now top 4 is coming".
Still these were expectations and not predictions. That's the bottom line.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If you think that because Liverpool has a narrow lead with 15 games to play that means they should win the title, when everything has pointed to City being the more consistent side in the PL...that's fine. I want them to, and I think they've put themselves in a good position to challenge for it, but I don't think having a 7 point lead with 42 more points to play for for example would have guaranteed them a title either.

I don't remember all of the commentary but my reference to 'revisit' was talking about de Bruyne's injury...not about whether or not Liverpool had a chance at the title (among other things). There are a lot of funny things in that thread, definitely, but everyone says things that do or don't come true. Even the most obvious seeming outcomes aren't guaranteed. It's the nature of sports. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again...but I wasn't really going on about any of that in this topic I was just saying that Liverpool isn't choking if City win the title (at this point).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->