GWT: PL Matchweek 23

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Whatever, fair play to them. This game should have been 5-0. The score line was misleading.

It hurts to be a United fan.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The game was actually better than I expected. I was assuming the midfield would be bossed harder.

Outside of the first 10ish mins of the second half, United were in the game for the most part. Had a couple decent chances to get something from the game, but we’re still clearly the second best team on the pitch.

Reactions: Aladyyn

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Because they just won the biggest match of the season?
I know there's a rivalry and everything, but beating United is hardly a huge feat nowadays when they've dropped games to Palace, Aston Villa, and Everton this season.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The game was actually better than I expected. I was assuming the midfield would be bossed harder.

Outside of the first 10ish mins of the second half, United were in the game for the most part. Had a couple decent chances to get something from the game, but we’re still clearly the second best team on the pitch.
I respectfully disagree. Liverpool absolutely dominated the first 35 minutes. Play was a little more even the last 30 minutes, but there were hardly many chances outside of the Martial sitter that United even threatened for a draw.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I know there's a rivalry and everything, but beating United is hardly a huge feat nowadays when they've dropped games to Palace, Aston Villa, and Everton this season.

Prior to today, United has 3 wins and 1 draw against the top 4, and they’re the only team to take points off Liverpool this year...

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Dude, I've been here since the beginning. It's been almost 18 years.

73,280/6534 =11.21 posts per day.
1,684/265 = 6.35 posts per day.

So what you're saying is you've posted almost twice as many times per day, for 25 times longer. You really showed him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
City would have to win out the rest of the season to even have a chance at Liverpool, and there is zero chance that's happening with the quality of their back line.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I really hope United's board and Woodward watched this game closely. The gulf in class between the two teams could not have been more evident. Like it or not, Liverpool are the benchmark for building a team built for success domestically and in Europe. They're going to be looking at two years outside of a top 4 position without any Champions League play.

Sacking up and paying Sporting for Bruno Fernandes would be a start. I have little faith that a deal is going to get done.

Reactions: IceColdOx

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
City would have to win out the rest of the season to even have a chance at Liverpool, and there is zero chance that's happening with the quality of their back line.

Even if they win out, Liverpool just has to play mediocre to win the league.

Liverpool’s magic number is 30 and they have 16 games to get it. That’s a 72 point season pace.

Regardless of how City play this would be one of the greatest collapses in sports history of Liverpool don’t win. It won’t be though because they’ll win it. The only questions at this point are if they’ll lose any games and if they’ll end up breaking 100 points.

Reactions: Blender

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
I really hope United's board and Woodward watched this game closely. The gulf in class between the two teams could not have been more evident. Like it or not, Liverpool are the benchmark for building a team built for success domestically and in Europe. They're going to be looking at two years outside of a top 4 position without any Champions League play.

Sacking up and paying Sporting for Bruno Fernandes would be a start. I have little faith that a deal is going to get done.

The scary thing is who's going to want to play for United now. I've got a real fear they won't be able to get anyone of value or ability.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think we'll lose a game or two as any good manager would definitely rotate the team heavily in order to have another go at winning the CL.

Should be going for a treble. I never expect the team to win anything, but you know, hopefully.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Not sure why they’re automatically looking at 2 years outside the CL.

They're 5 back of Chelsea this year and their most talented player has been injured for a large chunk of it. Also it’s not like you’d expect Arsenal or Spurs to suddenly storm back into the top 4 and significantly raise the bar needed to get there.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
73,280/6534 =11.21 posts per day.
1,684/265 = 6.35 posts per day.

So what you're saying is you've posted almost twice as many times per day, for 25 times longer. You really showed him.

Let's put it this way, there's been a "few" GDT's and international tournaments in those years that increase the daily post count. We're not talking ix level post count padding here. :laugh:

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Let's put it this way, there's been a "few" GDT's and international tournaments in those years that increase the daily post count. We're not talking ix level post count padding here. :laugh:

I'm sure it goes for both of you, just a surprising jab to take considering the situations. Oh well, a ton of pundits disagree with that being a foul. I thought it "was" considering how it's always called but probably shouldn't be realistically.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Seems the difference isn't that great and they seem to be working towards a 65M € sum.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

They don’t even need to watch the game closely. Just watch parts of the game and you’ll see it.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Seems the difference isn't that great and they seem to be working towards a 65M € sum.

From your lips...

Not sure why they’re automatically looking at 2 years outside the CL.

They're 5 back of Chelsea this year and their most talented player has been injured for a large chunk of it. Also it’s not like you’d expect Arsenal or Spurs to suddenly storm back into the top 4 and significantly raise the bar needed to get there.

Martial is back and playing and healthy for now, but Rashford is going to be out for a few weeks now. Pogba is going to be out for God knows how much longer. Woodward never properly replaced Herrera. Even with Fernandes (whom plays better as a #10), another first team midfielder and an out and out right winger are needed (Daniel James is NOT the answer there). Maybe they can win the Europa league and qualify that way. Spurs and Arsenal have their own challenges, but I'm not very optimistic.

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
From your lips...

Martial is back and playing and healthy for now, but Rashford is going to be out for a few weeks now. Pogba is going to be out for God knows how much longer. Woodward never properly replaced Herrera. Even with Fernandes (whom plays better as a #10), another first team midfielder and an out and out right winger are needed (Daniel James is NOT the answer there). Maybe they can win the Europa league and qualify that way. Spurs and Arsenal have their own challenges, but I'm not very optimistic.

Like I said before, how's United going to get someone if UCL isn't in the cards.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
From your lips...

Oh, if you mean last year and this year with no CL, then sure. I thought you meant 2 more years beyond this.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->