PL Matchweek 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Chelsea are just old. And seemingly they are planning to get older.

Not sure how they would cope if they end up outside top 4.

I’ve been surprised how well Chelsea have played this year. But can’t help thinking the second half of the season might be tougher.

Battle for top 4 will be intense.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Today was huge for Liverpool. Any good team can win 5-1, but to win the title, you have to escape with 3 points when you're pushed.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah. Nothing says title contender as much as a good dive.

You mean the one that wasn't rewarded? It's not like the dive (and it was a dive) had any real impact on the game.

What had much more of an impact was that the referee was a fat shit who couldn't run down the pitch to see anything either team did wrong. Liverpool got away with more and they won because of that. I have no idea how someone who runs across the pitch like they smoke cigarettes and carrying weight like they eat burgers every day can be allowed to officiate a top flight game.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liverpool didn't win because of the ref. There was plenty that went missed on both sides. They won because they absolutely controlled the game, and the bounces went their way.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
United were 11 pts off 4th, with a 0 goal differential when Jose left.

A month later, they’re 3 back with a +13 GD

I don’t know if OGS the answer long term, but the man has done a hell of a job. Not an easy situation to walk into, and he’s killed it.

I’m thoroughly enjoying match days again.

Reactions: Gecklund

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Mane sees red as he should have, think the game goes differently. Liverpool not at their best today and got bailed out by the refereeing.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I guess the ref put the ball into the net for them too (and didn't miss multiple calls that led to CP goals either).

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I guess the ref put the ball into the net for them too (and didn't miss multiple calls that led to CP goals either).

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
LOL ah yes, the "multiple fouls" that led to Palace goals. Which one of us is doing the rationalizing again...?

The game was 1-0 to Palace and Keita had a clear red card offense not called (edited to include reference to the correct player, Keita not Mane). The rest of the game with 10 men and the way Liverpool were defending, it's more than a viable prediction to say they'd have dropped points. What gets me more than anything after a game like that where you got the breaks, somehow there's a few that still manage to trot out the aggrieved victim routine. Astounding.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool certainly won thanks to the ref.
Red card and all.
Don't think I agree with this. The ref was equally bad for both teams. But again that's what happens when you hire a ref who cant run. Today it was in there favor, but there were a couple of games last season where he cost them points.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
LOL ah yes, the "multiple fouls" that led to Palace goals. Which one of us is doing the rationalizing again...?

The game was 1-0 to Palace and Mane had a clear red card offense not called. The rest of the game with 10 men and the way Liverpool were defending, it's more than a viable prediction to say they'd have dropped points. What gets me more than anything after a game like that where you got the breaks, somehow there's a few that still manage to trot out the aggrieved victim routine. Astounding.
Who's playing the victim? The hypocrisy is increasingly amusing. You shouldn't take it so personally that Liverpool are doing well. That goal likely never happens if the handball in the box is called and Liverpool is up 1-0 from the penalty which likely means nobody has a red card offence. But hypotheticals like that are rarely looked at from the winning side (especially when half the board is walking around angry every day just because Liverpool are in a good spell). I'd say grow up but...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

The game was 1-0 to Palace and Mane had a clear red card offense not called (one of your goalscorers if I'm remembering correctly). The rest of the game with 10 men and the way Liverpool were defending, it's more than a viable prediction to say they'd have dropped points. What gets me more than anything after a game like that where you got the breaks, somehow there's a few that still manage to trot out the aggrieved victim routine. Astounding.
Pretty much agree with everything here.
Amazing to read that denial.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Hopefully Chelsea players turn against him too.

Not saying the Mourinho and Conte don’t deserve blame, because they definitely do, but the story of this core group at Chelsea being mentally weak and turning against managers/not trying for them looks to be happening for the third time in 5 years or so.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not saying the Mourinho and Conte don’t deserve blame, because they definitely do, but the story of this core group at Chelsea being mentally weak and turning against managers/not trying for them looks to be happening for the third time in 5 years or so.
Yeah this seems to be a pretty common theme there. I had thought that before too; a ton of talent there but that club is a manager's graveyard right now.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Who's playing the victim? The hypocrisy is increasingly amusing. You shouldn't take it so personally that Liverpool are doing well. That goal likely never happens if the handball in the box is called and Liverpool is up 1-0 from the penalty which likely means nobody has a red card offence. But hypotheticals like that are rarely looked at from the winning side (especially when half the board is walking around angry every day just because Liverpool are in a good spell). I'd say grow up but...
The irony of this post is literally off the charts. "Who's playing the victim?...But here's 15 ludicrous reasons why WE actually got the short end of the stick! (presented in an exaggerated Alex Jones style hypothetical of course)"

So glad you brought up this "stonewall penalty" handball, which was so obviously nothing of the sort. Man, you guys have it rough! Bringing it home with these "multiple fouls" leading to Palace goals (completely imagined), is the real chef's kiss to that smorgasbord of garbage.

I'd say put down the blinkers for 30 seconds, but...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The irony of this post is literally off the charts. "Who's playing the victim?...But here's 15 ludicrous reasons why WE actually got the short end of the stick! (presented in an exaggerated Alex Jones style hypothetical of course)"

So glad you brought up this "stonewall penalty" handball, which was so obviously nothing of the sort. Man, you guys have it rough! Bringing it home with these "multiple fouls" leading to Palace goals (completely imagined), is the real chef's kiss to that smorgasbord of garbage.

I'd say put down the blinkers for 30 seconds, but...
Yeah because saying that the ref missed calls on both sides and that we won because we controlled the game and the bounces went our way is clearly playing quite the victim. I mean I know you guys are constantly in witch hunt mode but do you even read what you are writing?

I also never used the words 'stonewall penalty'. I could mention other calls that didnt go but I actually wasn't the one complaining about the officiating (providing counterpoints to a flawed and biased argument is hardly what you want it to be). You see what you want to see and that's fine. Life goes on.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yeah because saying that the ref missed calls on both sides and that we won because we controlled the game and the bounces went our way is clearly playing quite the victim. I mean I know you guys are constantly in witch hunt mode but do you even read what you are writing?
Is that what we're calling it?

The issue is the "both sides-isms" you're trotting are out mostly complete fantasy. Why not just say you got away with one? Instead of just copping to it, it's "well, it went both ways and actually, their goals were missed calls too". Really not what happened. There's no universe where that penalty you're banging on about is a "stonewall" call (you didn't call it this, but you seem to be treating it like one, so not sure what the difference is really). The only thing we know for sure is Palace are up, and a chance to blunt Liverpool's game even further pegging them to 10 men doesn't get called, and you won the match. Nowhere near out of the realm of possibility that you control nothing of the sort the way the game had unfolded up until that point.

lol at "providing counterpoints". This is exactly what I'm talking about. "You see what you want to see" is right.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So glad you brought up this "stonewall penalty" handball, which was so obviously nothing of the sort.
Respectfully, which handball incident are you referring to? There was some confusion at the time, about it. I know @Duchene2MacKinnon wanted to see some evidence as well because he thought I was talking about Sakho, which was called correctly on the pitch.

I will enter this into evidence. The incident that I referred to as a stonewall handball is at around 1 min 40 sec here, where Tomkins does a statue of liberty impression, directly before the first Palace goal. If that gets called in Liverpool's favor, then they have a penalty, and who knows what happens.

If you see it elsewise, I would be glad to hear your interpretation.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Respectfully, which handball incident are you referring to? There was some confusion at the time, about it. I know @Duchene2MacKinnon wanted to see some evidence as well because he thought I was talking about Sakho, which was called correctly on the pitch.

I will enter this into evidence. The incident that I referred to as a stonewall handball is at around 1 min 40 sec here, where Tomkins does a statue of liberty impression, directly before the first Palace goal. If that gets called in Liverpool's favor, then they have a penalty, and who knows what happens.

If you see it elsewise, I would be glad to hear your interpretation.

No, I was referring to this one. That was Townsend, and to me, it looks like Mane's got underhooks there and pushes Townsend's arms up with this own. Not intentional, not a penalty, certainly not a stonewall miss...

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yeah, we definitely won because of the ref. But after years of that not happening, it is quite nice.
I'll posit that I don't think it's done and dusted if Liverpool goes down to 10 there in the first half, but they really weren't firing on all cylinders today by any means. If there was a day to get the scalp, it was today.

Reactions: Cassano
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->