GWT: PL Matchweek 22

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The reason they don't drop points like this is more directly related to the goalkeeper IMO. Because some teams have had amazing chances this season and the last and he's stopped a lot of them. Also, a lot of those shots today had some power behind them and he uses great positioning to catch them straight on.

They would have much more draws if they didn't have him.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The reason they don't drop points like this is more directly related to the goalkeeper IMO. Because some teams have had amazing chances this season and the last and he's stopped a lot of them. Also, a lot of those shots today had some power behind them and he uses great positioning to catch them straight on.

They would have much more draws if they didn't have him.
And Liverpool has Adrian for two months and didn’t hurt them at all. Saved their season in a lot of ways.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Alisson catching balls that others would parry today probably also helped them keep points. They were straight on, but lot of others would bobble or parry

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Its unfair...its unfair how much luck Liverpool possessess.
Tottenham has done enough and then some to earn 3 points in the second half of this match.
- but nay...... Liverpool will again score 3 points,... so many so many points because of crazy luck.

The number of matches where they have allowed 10-15 shot attempts yet still won, its mind boggling.....

You know what they say, you earn your luck.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
In Matches where Liverpool have allowed 10 or more shot attempts:

14 (4) shot attempts against vs Tottenham (1-0 W) | PREM |
12 (4) shot attempts against vs Everton (1-0 W)
11 (2) shot attempts against vs Wolverhampton (1-0 W) | PREM |
16 (4) shot attempts against vs Flamenco (1-0 W)
17 (9) shot attempts against vs Monterrey (2-1 W)
12 (7) shot attempts against vs Red Bull Leipzig (2-0 W)
12 (4) shot attempts against vs Everton (5-2 W) | PREM |
13 (5) shot attempts against vs Brighton (2-1 W) | PREM |
16 (6) shot attempts against vs Crystal Palace (2-1 W) | PREM |
19 (3) shot attempts against vs Man City (3-1 W) | PREM |
14 (7) shot attempts against vs Arsenal (5-5 D - 5-4p )
11 (4) shot attempts against vs Tottenham (2-1 W) | PREM |
10 (6) shot attempts against vs Red Bull Leipzig (4-3 W)
13 (2) shot attempts against vs Sheffield (1-0 W) | PREM |
10 (2) shot attempts against vs MK Dons (2-0 W)
13 (2) shot attempts against vs Chelsea (2-1 W) | PREM |
10 (5) shot attempts against vs Napoli (0-2 L)
15 (3) shot attempts against vs Southampton (2-1 W) | PREM |
20 (6) shot attempts against vs Chelsea (2-2 D - 5-4p)
12 (6) shot attempts against vs Norwich (4-1 W) | PREM |

=
( ) indicates how many shots on goal
270 shot attempts against in total of 20 matches, 19 W ( 2 after penalties ) 1 L | GD: 45-21 (+24)
- 12 x 1 goal wins
- 2 x draws

Man City same for example:

21 (8) shot attempts against vs Wolverhampton (2-3 L) | PREM |
11 (2) shot attempts against vs Chelsea (2-1 W) | PREM |
11 (5) shot attempts against vs Liverpool (1-3 L) | PREM |
13 (6) shot attempts against vs Atalanta (5-1 W)
12 (8) shot attempts against vs Everton (3-1 W) | PREM |

------

Man City have lost so many points in the Prem because of bad luck and horrible mistakes in key moments of matches.

Now list Liverpool's shot attempts in those same games. I expect they had more attempts in most of them.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Also shot attempts aren’t really a good measure of if you’ve been lucky on defense, especially in games where you’re winning.

When trailing the other team is often taking far more shots just hoping to get lucky which inflated those numbers. Also you generally defend differently with a lead where you let the other team have the outside a bit more and take longer shots while you can get in front of them or just trust that a pressured shot from 30 yards away on the wing isn’t a big deal.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
IMO, this Liverpool side could very well be the best domestic team in recent history as far as results go.

No, individually their lineup may not stack up on paper with 2009 Barca or 2005 Milan, but they're getting wins in dominant fashion. Stylistically, this team can probably take those teams H2H.

The PL has never been stronger in quality - it is the best league in the world as evident by recent performances in Europe and they're making it + Europe a mockery of the sport with how easily they're winning. They're almost like the death lineup Warriors.
We don't stack up on paper in the middle but our forwards and D are some video game shit tbh

This lineup is so good they could potentially finish top 10 in La Liga

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Alisson catching balls that others would parry today probably also helped them keep points. They were straight on, but lot of others would bobble or parry
Pretty sure we're 20-1-0 in individual xG battles this year. Anyone know what our actual record is? :badidea:

So I'm not gonna apologize for good goalkeeping.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
We don't stack up on paper in the middle but our forwards and D are some video game **** tbh

Nah they may survive relegation tho. Would be a good bout Celta vs Liverpool. Return of Aspas

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
After so many years of Gerrard memes, of Michael Thomas, of people making fun of the Spice Boys, of Hodgson, of Macheda, of Fergie time, of bullshit offside against Sterling, of a few millimeters goal-line clearance, of lost finals, of near administration, of Howard Webb being a :eek::eek::eek::eek:, of false dawn after false dawn, of players who are now on worse teams than ours having asked to leave and being beaten by this one, of all the players who we didn't get to see lift the trophy, and so much more...one fan to the next has experienced many of these things if not all of them. My absolute favorite was when people said last season was a fluke. When because some guy in the first game of the season had two chances, Liverpool were ready for the taking and not as strong this season. If anything they're as strong as a team can get.

This game today was the point where it begins to set in and feel real. This team would have to lose a massive amount of games out of nowhere in order to fail to win the league, and there aren't good enough teams to do that to them. It just isn't going to happen. Beating United next week would be icing on the cake and knocking them out of the cup would probably surpass that. League won by January is absolutely crazy. Tottenham did get a good chance near the end of the match, but it was complete dominance for nearly the whole game. Mou played his 6-2-2 formation and it did not work on any level, once Klopp took off some players they were reduced to some shots from very far out (and that one chance).

This league win is going to be insufferably appreciated, and being insufferable about it is absolutely deserved after years of having to hear crap. I cannot wait for them to get over the line. The best things that could happen from here on would be Everton being forced to give them a guard of honor, to knock our rivals out of the cup, and to be invincible just to really stick it in. The time for being a gracious winner is the time after this one.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
After so many years of Gerrard memes, of Michael Thomas, of people making fun of the Spice Boys, of Hodgson, of Macheda, of Fergie time, of bull**** offside against Sterling, of a few millimeters goal-line clearance, of lost finals, of near administration, of Howard Webb being a ****, of false dawn after false dawn, of players who are now on worse teams than ours having asked to leave and being beaten by this one, of all the players who we didn't get to see lift the trophy, and so much more...one fan to the next has experienced many of these things if not all of them. My absolute favorite was when people said last season was a fluke. When because some guy in the first game of the season had two chances, Liverpool were ready for the taking and not as strong this season. If anything they're as strong as a team can get.

This game today was the point where it begins to set in and feel real. This team would have to lose a massive amount of games out of nowhere in order to fail to win the league, and there aren't good enough teams to do that to them. It just isn't going to happen. Beating United next week would be icing on the cake and knocking them out of the cup would probably surpass that. League won by January is absolutely crazy. Tottenham did get a good chance near the end of the match, but it was complete dominance for nearly the whole game. Mou played his 6-2-2 formation and it did not work on any level, once Klopp took off some players they were reduced to some shots from very far out (and that one chance).

This league win is going to be insufferably appreciated, and being insufferable about it is absolutely deserved after years of having to hear crap. I cannot wait for them to get over the line. The best things that could happen from here on would be Everton being forced to give them a guard of honor, to knock our rivals out of the cup, and to be invincible just to really stick it in. The time for being a gracious winner is the time after this one.
Regarding sticking it in, if we close this thing out early and we're playing games in April and May where we can't be caught, but we're going far in cup competitions, do we ultimately prioritize a potential treble or putting up grotesque Premier League numbers?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Treble if it's in play, but our best players relish the opportunity to play a lot and demand to play a lot. I don't know what Klopp would do.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The PL has never been stronger in quality - it is the best league in the world as evident by recent performances in Europe and they're making it + Europe a mockery of the sport with how easily they're winning.

The time for being a gracious winner is the time after this one.

do we ultimately prioritize a potential treble or putting up grotesque Premier League numbers?

TF... :facepalm:

Reactions: Gecklund

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I didn't misquote you and feel free to back the rest of it up.

It's hard to do that now that large swaths of this forum have been deleted. But there are countless times that you've been anything but a gracious winner when it comes to beating Real Madrid. When Mourinho poked Tito in the eye I don't think anyone was a gracious winner either. If I was to back it up I would be quoting a lot of posts, it isn't worth my time. And just to be clear I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Was anyone who posted garbage about Gerrard a gracious winner? Nope. So they don't deserve for other people to be one.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If we're playing the hypothetical game and I had to choose, my first instinct is that 7 is more important to me than 0.

I know the latter is harder and more special but after getting my hands on those ears I kinda don't wanna let them go.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My humility is somewhere in my box of Gerrard slip gifs that have been sent to me. I'll let you know if I find it.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It's hard to do that now that large swaths of this forum have been deleted. But there are countless times that you've been anything but a gracious winner when it comes to beating Real Madrid. When Mourinho poked Tito in the eye I don't think anyone was a gracious winner either. If I was to back it up I would be quoting a lot of posts, it isn't worth my time. And just to be clear I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Was anyone who posted garbage about Gerrard a gracious winner? Nope. So they don't deserve for other people to be one.

Calling Madrid on how they play when they're playing dirty has nothing to do with winning graciously or not. My general commentary on winning anything over the years has been how fortunate I am as a supporter to be able to see them play.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Regarding sticking it in, if we close this thing out early and we're playing games in April and May where we can't be caught, but we're going far in cup competitions, do we ultimately prioritize a potential treble or putting up grotesque Premier League numbers?
Treble. But if Pep gets to say that he won six trophies in a season, no reason we can’t go for five. (Super Cup, CWC, FA, CL, PL)

But in all seriousness, I couldn’t care less how many points LFC finish in the league with as long in 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad