GWT: PL Matchweek 22

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I thought Fabinho played pretty well out of position today. We needed him in midfield, but I didn't see much weakness in his performance at all. Great player.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I was thinking to myself just after I turned on the match about why wouldn't we just bring Pedro back if they're serious about Willian. Then he literally scores at the exact time. However I have to admit that I wasn't thinking about Clark when he scored the leveler.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I thought Fabinho played pretty well out of position today. We needed him in midfield, but I didn't see much weakness in his performance at all. Great player.
He did well. If things continue as are our best midfield when healthy might end up being Wijnaldum/Ox/Fabinho. Keita has not been inspiring.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yikes, we're seeing some major holes now in the Arsenal all straining from Wenger's transfers. That last couple of windows under him have been just pure trash which is contributing to being absolutely spanked in the midfield and on the defencive end.

Since Wenger relinquished transfer/left the club, this is who we've brought in...

- Aubameyang
- Lacazette
- Mkhitaryan
- Mavropanos
- Kolasinac (free transfer)
- Torreira
- Leno
- Sokratis
- Guendouzi
- Lichtsteiner (free transfer)

Which I admit isn't filled with a ton of perfect players like Lichtsteiner who's been trash and Sokratis has had some lows in the season too. But none of them are this level of trash by Wenger and old front office crew...

- Xhaka (45 million)
- Mustai (41 million)
- Perez (14 million, 10 million loss)
- Cech
- Elneny

Holy smokes that is just utter ****. Only good deal was Rob Holding for 3 million Euros. And this is why Arsenal didn't generate a shot past the 67th minute against the Hammers.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This is a dangerous game for LFC. Brighton good at home. Probably have to play Fabinho at CB. Need to shake off last two results.

At least CB crisis is over after this game.

Who is playing in Goal for Brighton, with Ryan at the Asia Cup?

As you probably saw it was Spurs product Button in goal.

Brighton probably deserved to lose but it always sucks when you lose to a big team by a goal and it was from a pen.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
As you probably saw it was Spurs product Button in goal.

Brighton probably deserved to lose but it always sucks when you lose to a big team by a goal and it was from a pen.

It's not only that, but that Liverpool only played with one natural CB and still won.

Yes, Liverpool did deserve to win, but as a fan of the opposing team it would have to suck. Same as last season when Wijnaldum played CB. Hard to believe how good van Dijk is even considering the situation, one of the best CB in the world without a doubt.

Personally, I think that was our second or third hardest remaining game left considering the state of the squad and the fact that some players need rest. To maintain a 4 point cushion is vital. I don't really understand what Gross was doing on the foul, it wasn't a foul he had to make as his teammates were coming over to help him.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I don't really understand what Gross was doing on the foul, it wasn't a foul he had to make as his teammates were coming over to help him.

I'll never understand all the shirt grabbing they do and how much of it they let them get away with

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'll never understand all the shirt grabbing they do and how much of it they let them get away with
Kind of like when Dunk was full on holding van Dijk's arm? The ref was right there watching it. I don't understand why they've allowed the box to basically become a wrestling ring during set pieces.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Kind of like when Dunk was full on holding van Dijk's arm? The ref was right there watching it. I don't understand why they've allowed the box to basically become a wrestling ring during set pieces.

Something something rainy Tuesday in Stoke.

Really it’s the idea that the PL is rough, tough, and hard to play in. The league likes that reputation so they let a lot of stuff in the box go so they have evidence to point to that it’s rough and tough.

It’s really stupid.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Something something rainy Tuesday in Stoke.

Really it’s the idea that the PL is rough, tough, and hard to play in. The league likes that reputation so they let a lot of stuff in the box go so they have evidence to point to that it’s rough and tough.

It’s really stupid.

It is really stupid, but I think it's the offshoot of an English football culture that long predated the Premier League's existence.

The media (especially former pros) heavily criticise refs for doling out cards early in games under all but the most extreme circumstances, and their attitude to penalising shirt-pulling in the box is similar. Referees are most interested in preserving their status, and tend to feel they're most likely to do this by not calling things than calling them, especially if making the call hurts a big team and/or a high-profile, vocal manager whose screams may jeopardise their chances of refereeing big games (think of how effectively Ferguson imposed himself when it came to refereeing appointments).

Coaches such as Allardyce and Pulis understand this culture, and take it to the extreme, encouraging a style of play that basically says to refs, 'We dare you to enforce the rules. Are you really going to award seven penalties in the first half alone?' Other coaches see how effectively this style aids the defence of set-pieces and copy them.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't really understand what Gross was doing on the foul, it wasn't a foul he had to make as his teammates were coming over to help him.

This definitely added to the frustration. At the end of the day I'll always go into a game against Liverpool with the attitude that its all about the small in games wins and if you get a point or heck even 3, take it and run! The fact that the game was 1-0 on a pen is a small win I guess.

I'm just happy this was not at the end of the season in a tighter relegation race. On to the next one :)

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad