GWT: PL Matchweek 21

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Why would I? Use your memory or your fingers.

BTW, how is your Mourinho defending going? Especially the part about it's better to have Mou than an assistant or anyone not high profile.
I loved that one.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Why would I? Use your memory or your fingers.

BTW, how is your Mourinho defending going? Especially the part about it's better to have Mou than an assistant or anyone not high profile.
I loved that one.

I must have missed the part about OGS being an assistant on United before his hiring. But should I take this as you admitting no one was saying things like that a week ago?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I must have missed the part about OGS being an assistant on United before his hiring. But should I take this as you admitting no one was saying things like that a week ago?
I'm assuming you missed the "someone not high profile enough"?
And no you shouldn't. Alzheimer is a tough disease.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s also easy to look good when you’re thumping crap sides. When they go away to Spurs the 13th, or PSG and Liverpool insuccession, we will see more. Only Bournemouth hasn’t been in the bottom group, and they’re not good defensively.

For what it’s worth, wasn’t Sanchez hurt for most of this last stretch (being beyond it or not).

They’re also professionals, even if some (Pogba) don’t always act it. When the manager gets whacked, there is usually an uptick in performance no matter the new guy.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It’s also easy to look good when you’re thumping crap sides. When they go away to Spurs the 13th, or PSG and Liverpool insuccession, we will see more. Only Bournemouth hasn’t been in the bottom group, and they’re not good defensively.

For what it’s worth, wasn’t Sanchez hurt for most of this last stretch (being beyond it or not).

They’re also professionals, even if some (Pogba) don’t always act it. When the manager gets whacked, there is usually an uptick in performance no matter the new guy.
Nobody is saying the contrary. However, United was not winning their easy games with Mou. Nor where they played decent football.
You can fault the player, they deserve some of the blame. But it's being quite blind to ignore the elephant in the house.

As for Pogba, I'd say he overall acted pretty professionally. When his team underperforms and he gets all the blame. When he's benched even after good games. When his coach threw him multiple times under the bus in interviews, he NEVER responded in the press. He sure didn't play to his best, but so did the others.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The highest ranked team that united has beaten on this post Mourinho run was 12th placed Bournemouth.

Don’t think any United fan *here has acted like now we’re gonna finish the year unbeated and are some unstoppable force. But I think it’s fair to be pretty happy with the results and feel positive about the rest of the season

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The highest ranked team that united has beaten on this post Mourinho run was 12th placed Bournemouth.

They lost against West Ham (10th), Brighton (13th), and drew Wolves (9th), Palace (14th), and Southampton (18th) with Mourinho, so yea they haven't been great teams lately, but that's also better than expected during a 4 game stretch against anyone before.

Reactions: koyvoo

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm assuming you missed the "someone not high profile enough"?
And no you shouldn't. Alzheimer is a tough disease.

Yes, I know, my aunt suffered from it for 13 years before passing away over a year ago. But you're not going to provide any links to such views from a week ago? I don't suppose that could be because no one was saying that a week ago? Or could it be because you're just holding on comments made much longer ago during a game when United players passing like shit?

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, I’m sure you give him a pass for his Instagram, but I don’t see that as professional, on purpose or no.

He certainly hasn’t done everything he could do during this run.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Newcastle is terrible. Any manager besides Rafa and they are relegated. They still might be

Yup. The weakest top flight team they've had in 30 years. Nine players of the fourteen involved this evening were part of the 2016/17 promotion squad. Of the other five, two are loanees. The three permanent signings cost less than £20 million between them.

But when in November a group of fans tried to persuade fellow supporters to stage a late walk-in at the West Ham home game to protest Ashley's regime, maybe 1,000 to 2,000 answered the call. Some fellow Geordies abused them. So nothing is going to change any time soon.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I also don’t quite think they (United) looked that great either. Newcastle have a lot of nothing and they still found space going through the backline.

It’s early days with the caretaker, and they look motivated (you couldn’t say that under Jose, point conceded) but they don’t look good at times either.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I also don’t quite think they (United) looked that great either. Newcastle have a lot of nothing and they still found space going through the backline.

It’s early days with the caretaker, and they look motivated (you couldn’t say that under Jose, point conceded) but they don’t look good at times either.

As I said midway through the game

This feels like the last 3 games with a touch less finish.

United looking dangerous on attack, willing to commit numbers forward and attacking well. On defense they look shaky.

Reactions: Gecklund

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, I know, my aunt suffered from it for 13 years before passing away over a year ago. But you're not going to provide any links to such views from a week ago? I don't suppose that could be because no one was saying that a week ago? Or could it be because you're just holding on comments made much longer ago during a game when United players passing like ****?
No those comments were made just before Mourinho's firing when everyone here discussed that he should be fired.
When assessing United's talents, those words were said.
While you were saying United shouldn't fire Mou because no high profile manager would be available and nobody could do better anyway.

EDIT : sorry about your aunt BTW.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I mean, I’m sure you give him a pass for his Instagram, but I don’t see that as professional, on purpose or no.

He certainly hasn’t done everything he could do during this run.
Great. he gets blamed for it, despite the numerous provocations of his coach, while the other players clearly "did everything they could".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->