GWT: PL Matchweek 21

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
What I don't understand is a lot of teams that drop , keep dropping even with all the money they had and parachute money . Must be more to it than I figure

Well, Cardiff really haven’t spent much. Nor Huddersfield. Both recognize staying up is a bonus, and even if they do, they need the money to balance the books. If they spent a lot on players, wages would destroy their budget. To a team like Huddersfield, if they spent 15-20 and didn’t get a player good enough to play right away for a better side, they’d be in trouble. They can’t afford to do what top sides do and work in talent slowly.

As for the parachute money, the Championship is very competitive. There are 8-10 clubs who are in the same category of talent who could honestly make it up (maybe 12-15 some years) and it’s a grind. Stoke still has a ton of EPL level players and they’re in the middle of the pack. They’re either going to have to offload the lot or hit financial ruin. Heck, Aston Villa, no matter how mismanaged, is a bigger club and they have struggled to make any headway in the Championship. Part of it’s how the league is played, but most of it is because it’s competitive.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Note, you’ll see some of these teams spend some in winter. It’s easier to justify a loan or a buy from a Championship club if they think there’s a shot they can stay up. If they stay, it’s money well spent; if they go down, it will help them in the Championship.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Hopefully the Arsenal win will get some confident flowing through the ranks again. Been off since the insane high of the Spurs win

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Can't say the games were great yesterday... Everton put up another stinker...

I don't know, I was never sold on Marco Silva and him "falling upwards", so maybe I'm being too harsh...
But they either look inept and never look like scoring - or when they start playing more offensively, they look utterly incompetent defensively.
Even with all the money spent...

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
Well, Cardiff really haven’t spent much. Nor Huddersfield. Both recognize staying up is a bonus, and even if they do, they need the money to balance the books. If they spent a lot on players, wages would destroy their budget. To a team like Huddersfield, if they spent 15-20 and didn’t get a player good enough to play right away for a better side, they’d be in trouble. They can’t afford to do what top sides do and work in talent slowly.

As for the parachute money, the Championship is very competitive. There are 8-10 clubs who are in the same category of talent who could honestly make it up (maybe 12-15 some years) and it’s a grind. Stoke still has a ton of EPL level players and they’re in the middle of the pack. They’re either going to have to offload the lot or hit financial ruin. Heck, Aston Villa, no matter how mismanaged, is a bigger club and they have struggled to make any headway in the Championship. Part of it’s how the league is played, but most of it is because it’s competitive.
For us ( Swansea) , we stayed up 7 seasons and averaged probably 11th or 12th . While some big teams spend probably close to a billion dollars ,over them 7 years , in net transfer cost and even some of the smaller clubs spent half that , we spent nothing over 7 years in the Premier in net transfer . I know we did a lot of infrastructure work over them 7 seasons , and that's good , we should be on solid ground dropping over all , never mind parachute payments . We're lower now in the Championship table than we averaged in the Premier.Sunderland dropped 2 divisions in 2 straight seasons . Just a bit hard to put together why , it's almost like your at a disadvantage when you drop out of the Premier .

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Well, typically when you go down the manager gets whacked, you lose 4-5 top players and you are playing a new crop of teams. Sometimes teams buy a few new players to try and go right back, and all of those things at once makes it hard to adapt quickly. It also can be a case of thinking, yeah, we just need to cruise control and we will go up, but it doesn’t work like that. The Championship is a grind.

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
When the smoke clears today, Liverpool and Man City will know better whose in the breakaway pack .Huge game tomorrow , can ManCity pull Liverpool back or will Liverpool maintain there smooth lead . A tie could bring the chasing pack a bit closer.Great storyline this season

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
When the smoke clears today, Liverpool and Man City will know better whose in the breakaway pack .Huge game tomorrow , can ManCity pull Liverpool back or will Liverpool maintain there smooth lead . A tie could bring the chasing pack a bit closer.Great storyline this season

What is happening today that's going to clear up anything?

It's City and liverpool's race, with Spurs in a position to possibly challenge. None of those 3 play today.

The rest aren't getting there.

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
If Man City and Chelsea win....
Liverpool...54
Man City ..50
Tottenham ..48
Chelsea..46
The race is on
If Liverpool win
Liverpool ..57
Tottenham..48
Man City 47
The race will have to wait , if it's coming.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Chelsea/Arsenal/United should be grouped together. Tottenham is on an island on it's own.

Probably fair. I’d say all 4 teams at worst are pretty even and have at least one glaring hole and are clearly a tier behind Liverpool and city.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If Man City and Chelsea win....
Liverpool...54
Man City ..50
Tottenham ..48
Chelsea..46
The race is on
If Liverpool win
Liverpool ..57
Tottenham..48
Man City 47
The race will have to wait , if it's coming.

Chelsea and Tottenham being 6 and 8 points back will not be in the in the race much. It’s clearly gonna come down to city or Liverpool.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm hoping the Pool v City game produces lots of goals. The hype is there now go live up to it for the neutrals sake

Reactions: maclean

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not saying it would have made a difference but it's annoying that Southampton took their A team to Chelsea, and played their B team at home against City. Show up for the home fans.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Another important 3 points on the line for Brighton today. Being 2 points off 30 at the half way point of the season would absolutely huge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->