GWT: PL Matchweek 16

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I actually also thought the Pereira on Sterling foul was borderline. It was a tactical foul but the way he kicked him was pretty deliberate and dangerous. It wasn’t like he just nicked his ankle, ran into him or grabbed him... it was a straight kick.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I actually also thought the Pereira on Sterling foul was borderline. It was a tactical foul but the way he kicked him was pretty deliberate and dangerous. It wasn’t like he just nicked his ankle, ran into him or grabbed him... it was a straight kick.

By the book that one could have been called a red.

Reactions: YNWA14

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I said it was borderline. I think it could be. It’s not your typical tactical foul. He takes a ****ing wind up lol

It’s no different than what De Bruyne and Walker did as well. Went for a tackle, saw they missed it, and then kicked out with the leg to make sure they brought the player down.

You gotta wind up a lot harder than that or catch a guy with your studs to come close to a red there. There’s a reason there wasn’t a VAR check.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It’s no different than what De Bruyne and Walker did as well. Went for a tackle, saw they missed it, and then kicked out with the leg to make sure they brought the player down.

You gotta wind up a lot harder than that or catch a guy with your studs to come close to a red there. There’s a reason there wasn’t a VAR check.

And no one on Sky Sports, not the commentary nor studio analysts, even suggested a red on it.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Lol that foul is *never* called a red.
What if the player breaks his leg? What then? Everyone claimed Som shouldn’t have gotten a red because he didn’t mean to break Gomes leg this incident was more reckless and more dangerous the outcome however wasn’t as bad. It should be a red.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
What if the player breaks his leg? What then? Everyone claimed Som shouldn’t have gotten a red because he didn’t mean to break Gomes leg this incident was more reckless and more dangerous the outcome however wasn’t as bad. It should be a red.

Yes, if there had been a very serious injury as a result, I would have understood it being a red due to that.

Granted the PL did overturn Son's red, so clearly they didn't think that should have been.

And no, this was not remotely more reckless or dangerous that Son's tackle. Son's was worse.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Im at the point where if Liverpool beat Watford next week, I wouldnt be displeased if City beat Leicester.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I didn't see the supporter that shouted the monkey sounds at the end when the ball was in the corner. But someone was making an airplane gesture. That is quite sad.

That's just low. It's one thing to yell and heckle the players, but to mock a disaster like that is just not ok.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
How about Kyle Walker’s scissor kick on Lingard? I think it was Lingard might have been Rashford but that didn’t even get him a yellow for some reason. That was just as bad if not worse.

I don't recall the Perreira play and I don't have a horse in the race, but I would add to this that Walker committed two bookable offenses only one of which was called.

Reactions: Venkman

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't recall the Perreira play and I don't have a horse in the race, but I would add to this that Walker committed two bookable offenses only one of which was called.
Yeah I think the game was fairly called with a few misses on both sides.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
United blew City away in the first 30 minutes, some great counter attacking football. Should've been 3 or 4 in the first half. Rashford brilliant again. James ran himself into the ground again. Love those two. Wan-Bissaka and Fred were great. McTominay and Lindelof very good too.

Reactions: Gecklund

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I couldn’t care less about if the game was reffed evenly or not. Or if the ref missed calls on both sides. I’m just saying that play should be a red.

That’s fine if you think it should be, but it’s not called that way in any major league and the PL specifically ruled that those types of plays shouldn’t be red even if they result in a significant injury by rescinding the Son red.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
United blew City away in the first 30 minutes, some great counter attacking football. Should've been 3 or 4 in the first half. Rashford brilliant again. James ran himself into the ground again. Love those two. Wan-Bissaka and Fred were great. McTominay and Lindelof very good too.

Martial and James interplay before the second goal was great as well. I still can't believe Martial was able to lose the two City players near him so easily with that turn.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Martial and James interplay before the second goal was great as well. I still can't believe Martial was able to lose the two City players near him so easily with that turn.

City players just seemed uninterested in playing defense there. Like they assumed nothing would happen anyway so it wasn’t worth really putting in the effort to properly deal with it.

Their start to the game felt a little like they assumed they were just gonna be able to roll over United without much real effort. United on the other hand, actually played with urgency and that made the huge difference early in the game and then they just held onto that lead through the remainder.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Double whammy for Villa. Mings doing his hamstring and Vardy scoring while Mings is down.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
United teases me like this when they hang with or beat the big boys, but struggle against Villa and Bournemouth.
A lot of that is due to Ole not being a great coach.

It’s mic easier to coach a team that’s sitting back, staying compact, and then breaking with pace. Offensive plays are done with a ton of space and are generally about players making individual plays.

Playing against Villa or similar teams means you’re playing the opposite. They’re generally sitting back and you have to have some good interconnecting plays to unlock that.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I couldn’t care less about if the game was reffed evenly or not. Or if the ref missed calls on both sides. I’m just saying that play should be a red.
And City should have had Kyle Walker sent off for 3-4 bookable offenses and Bernardo had 2 and Fernandinho had 2 possibles. So get over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->