GWT: PL Matchweek 15

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
A bit worried about the Gomez injury, hopefully we get a positive report in the next few days. He's been absolutely fantastic at CB this season.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
A bit worried about the Gomez injury, hopefully we get a positive report in the next few days. He's been absolutely fantastic at CB this season.
Yeah there is always a chance Lovren goes full Lovren and loses a game single handily. I wouldn't be as confident vs Napoli without Gomez.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Yeah there is always a chance Lovren goes full Lovren and loses a game single handily. I wouldn't be as confident vs Napoli without Gomez.

Lovren's been spotless for a long while now. I'm fully confident in him when he plays for Croatia and his performances for Liverpool haven't dropped off either.
As good as Gomez has been (and he's been great), Lovren continued his strong form from last season - it's why TAA ends up on the bench in big games if Lovren is healthy.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Alisson is incredible. When the defense gives up a scoring chance, you know he has a save in him and that has to instill confidence in the outfield players. Also he distributes the ball like a madman.

Yesterday, he barely keeps the ball in play and then launches a counter which leads to Shaqiri's goal.

Sunday, the sequence starting at 0:38 stood out to me. Just quickly and decisively (I use these words because previous/recent Liverpool keepers did not act in this manner) fielding the ball and brazenly throwing it over the attacker's head to send Robertson into space.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Here is the sequence for the Shaqiri goal. First the save, then keeps it in play and starts a counter. Worth every penny thus far

btw does anyone else struggle with streamable clips on this site? They just buffer for me. But if I acually click the link they work fine

Last edited:

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
It wasn't positive news.. And Lovren wasn't part of the squad yesterday now just hope he's fit enough

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's nice to have a great keeper.

Now if only we could go back to playing as well as we were last season in front of him.

Also Gomez. :( He's been nearly as good as van Dijk at CB this season.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just took in that yesterdays game was the first prem game between Man United and Arsenal since 1986 with neither Wenger or Ferguson managing in the game.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Here is the sequence for the Shaqiri goal. First the save, then keeps it in play and starts a counter. Worth every penny thus far

btw does anyone else struggle with streamable clips on this site? They just buffer for me. But if I acually click the link they work fine

Thanks. I had trouble finding a clip that showed the save and keep-in. He's ridiculous.

Sucks about Gomez, especially for that to happen in December. Not only is the schedule congested, but against a lot of quality. Hopefully Lovren is up to the task.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
My only concern about Lovren is fitness. I think people forget how quality he was for us last season and he was great at the WC.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
My only concern about Lovren is fitness. I think people forget how quality he was for us last season and he was great at the WC.
Liverpool are covered at CB. The problem is RB, if Clyne can't play. Trent could use a platoon partner, especially someone good enough so Klopp stops playing Gomez there.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Lovren's been spotless for a long while now. I'm fully confident in him when he plays for Croatia and his performances for Liverpool haven't dropped off either.
As good as Gomez has been (and he's been great), Lovren continued his strong form from last season - it's why TAA ends up on the bench in big games if Lovren is healthy.
Yes he has improved, but it is not even been a full calendar year since his disastrous performances that led to fans giving him death threats on social media and him disabling commenting on his IG. He is a wildcard player.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Liverpool are covered at CB. The problem is RB, if Clyne can't play. Trent could use a platoon partner, especially someone good enough so Klopp stops playing Gomez there.
Worst case scenario Milner can play there while Gomez is out.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Yes he has improved, but it is not even been a full calendar year since his disastrous performances that led to fans giving him death threats on social media and him disabling commenting on his IG. He is a wildcard player.

A year is a long time for a guy who's been to the CL final and the WC final, and playing great football along the way.

People who follow Liverpool casually and just pick up on memes think he's a trash tier player with some bright spots.
People who actually watch them play know he was getting stick (sometimes unfairly) even before the Spurs game, but Klopp dropping the fullbacks, leaving the CBs in a better position to succeed, and then VVD coming along seems to have fixed the only problem Lovren ever had - being concentrated for 90 mins.
Because he's been fantastic (not "good", much better than "good") ever since.
Even for the NT, I feel completely comfortable when he's near the ball, and he's been an absolute rock.

Despite still coming off an injury he's started the big games (when he was available) vs City and PSG - that should tell you something.

Gomez having a fantastic start to the season is just a bonus - and it's sort of a 2A/2B situation with those two.
If anything, TAA might end up sitting the big games out as things are now.

Bottom line, Liverpool will be fine defensively.
Offensively they're still sort of struggling, but Salah and Co. (when on form) are good enough to consistently create magic even if the midfield is creatively challenged.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Holding ruptured a ligament. There another young defender injured. He was having good year thus far too.

Reactions: S E P H

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Always something with Lovren this season, it seems.

I feel better about Matip than I would have last season, since Van Dijk can drag any partner kicking and screaming to a clean sheet.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Has played RB with a lot of success (still plays there for Brazil). CM and DM obviously. CB, maybe to finish off games, but I don't remember him starting there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad