GWT: PL Matchweek 14

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Football is a children's game. Of course it brings out acting like a child. The whole sport is enveloped in childishness. When you look at it though, so is politics, business, basically every single workplace, um, message boards, kind of... everything? So, criticise childishness everywhere, but in football I'm soooomewhat inclined to give it more of a pass, with the one caveat that it doesn't set such a great example for our children. Howgh.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
When did it become childish to celebrate with emotion? As though emotions are something only a child is allowed to display? Positive emotions should be encouraged. Everyone would be a little happier.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It's not a big deal. My only point was if you're on the other end of that, you're not excusing it as showing passion.

We've had every group of fans here go nuts over far less. This entire site is a giant CLASSLESS meme.

I don't see a point in suspending him, but I'd say sticking to the sideline to celebrate is the best bet. No manager needs to be running around the field before that final whistle blows.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I don't know what to tell you. If Klopp went nuts in the techincal area, which he often does (big 95th minute derby winner or...not), no one makes it into this. Running all over the pitch like a clown makes it about him and that's just showboating obnoxiousness.

I don't know who exactly is supposed to be the arbiter of "positivity" here, but just because he's happy that doesn't make his reaction positive. In general, childishness is not a compliment...

But whatever. Far as I'm concerned the discussion has run it's course. No one's changing their mind, or their perspective.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not being able to control your emotions is the definition of childhood so he's right.
Anyway, not sure why everyone is making this a huge debate.
Basically everyone likes Klopp but sometimes he acts like a fool and shows a lot of ego. Some of his latest remarks DO ressemble Mourinho a lot and everyone hates Mourinho (except Jussi).
That won't make everyone hate Klopp. But he's not immune to criticism when he warrantees some.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's not a big deal. My only point was if you're on the other end of that, you're not excusing it as showing passion.

Can you show evidence to the that this is true? I've never criticized any player or manager for showing passion in a positive way. Again, it should be encouraged. Mourinho is no exception to that despite my aversion to him.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Friends, I honestly don't see much debate here. Seems to me we're pretty much in agreement.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Can we just get back to discussing what a great match that Arsenal-Tottenham was?

After Torreira scored i was like:
Yes 12.gif

Reactions: S E P H

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It was a good match.

I'm impressed with Arsenal, and it will be interesting to see who they get rid of. Emery is a good manager. No one debated that, the debate was whether or not he had enough parts there to improve the side. I still think they're not good enough defensively (Saint Rob Holding's performance is nice, but it's still an issue), but it's been impressive.

I think they try and move Ozil (maybe someone will take that ridiculous contract) so they can free up some cash to pay players. I think some of the questions going forward relate more to whether or not they're willing to spend what it takes to improve the defense and midfield. They're clearly set up front (though getting a younger talent on the outside might be an idea). The improvement of some of the players from Wenger to Emery is ridiculous. It would either infuriate me with the players, or the board, or maybe both.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It was a good match.

I'm impressed with Arsenal, and it will be interesting to see who they get rid of. Emery is a good manager. No one debated that, the debate was whether or not he had enough parts there to improve the side. I still think they're not good enough defensively (Saint Rob Holding's performance is nice, but it's still an issue), but it's been impressive.

Really because I seem to remember a lot arguing he wasn't good. @Evilo in particular claimed he wasn't even a manager or something like that.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Really because I seem to remember a lot arguing he wasn't good. @Evilo in particular claimed he wasn't even a manager or something like that.
There's a clear debate about how good of a manager. He might not have the ability to manager a top talent side like City or PSG, but he does certainly have the chops to put together a good side. The questions I had were whether or not he was best suited to what Arsenal had and wanted to do.

I personally felt they needed someone more suited to a longer rebuild, but obviously, I'm not paid to make decisions with regards to football matters.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yes, PSG coached itself. Emery was out of his depth. Doesn't mean he wasn't good with Sevilla or Arsenal. I said so in fact.
Well, we also gotta be honest and say that no other manager has lead to PSG to glory either, especially Blanc which 90% of this board think is better than Emery.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, we also gotta be honest and say that no other manager has lead to PSG to glory either, especially Blanc which 90% of this board think is better than Emery.
Blanc never failed to reach the QF. He was eliminated twice on away goals inthe QF. His only failure was the City matchup.
Emery never reached the QF. With better teams.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think there is some truth to no one really being able to do it all with PSG. Maybe this year is different, but it isn't until it is.

There's a mountain of pressure on whomever is in charge there, new roster, new talent or no, and I'm quite unsure if anyone could succeed there beyond Pep. I think Emery, Tuchel and whomever goes there is probably going to have a hard time sticking around and meeting the expectations for what they're spending and want.

But it was clear that Emery wasn't ready to manage the world class players and expectations he had there. Arsenal and Sevilla are more his level, and maybe with time he could step up there. At Sevilla he was great at getting more out of less than some of his rivals (even if he was off the pace sometimes in the league). I think it will still be a work in progress unless they offer him the financial support he might need to get into the top 4 consistently.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I disagree with your first point. Blanc did everything right until that City matchup. Everything. And he didn't have Neymar, Mbappe and others.
I agree about the pressure and Emery.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Expectations and pressure are a big point.

When he took over PSG, the assumption was to challenge for CL titles and cement a place as one of Europe's truly elite teams.

When he took over Arsenal success is basically what they're doing now. Looking good and challenging for a CL spot.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah pretty much. Blanc won every single domestic competition. That simply never happens. Teams don't win league+two domestic cups, no matter how dominant they are. Football is too much of a tough game to do so. Then to bow out to Barca on away goals, that's not overly the definition of failure as well.
To me, Blanc lost two important games in his PSG career, those two City games. PSG was much better, they should have won. They would have reached the semis, Blanc would still be coach and they may have a CL already, who knows? In any case, it was the turning point of QSI's PSG project. Since then they have no clear plan.
Tuchel is a good step, but the transfer policy still has glaring holes (see DM position).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
When he took over Arsenal success is basically what they're doing now. Looking good and challenging for a CL spot.

I feel like what he is doing now would have been seen as a success next year and this year was just one to steady the sinking ship. He is doing amazing things right now.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I know what I'll be doing tomorrow @ 1 PM MST.

It involves Arsenal & the team I love to hate the most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->