GWT: PL Matchweek 12

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's not just post contact, here it is from right before contact. His arm is straight down from his shoulder, that is the definition of a natural position, and Sterling is like 5 feet from him when he hits the ball.

Ifq2VlR.png
He’s grasping. Looking for anything.

Still really early in the season but man this team just looks like getting it done.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
He’s grasping. Looking for anything.

Still really early in the season but man this team just looks like getting it done.
The match was already over at this point. The real screw up was the one that turned the game in the first half.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Pretty sure this was City’s first top-six matchup or something crazy

Yeah they haven't had to have a big go at it this year. If LCFC and Chelsea continue their pace then City is probably toa
If Chelsea beats City in the next game, Leicester beats Brighton, and Liverpool beats Crystal Palace, City will be 4 points back of 2nd and 12 points back of 1st.

And getting yea close to being lost in the mid-pack. I think it was Sheamus who pointed out 3 points separates like 5th from 17th had the results played differently.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
If you had told me at the beginning of the season that we'd be ahead of City in the table going into our match against them, I never would've believed you.
I spent this whole week hoping to be 9 points ahead of City and completely overlooked that they might be in fourth.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If you had told me at the beginning of the season that we'd be ahead of City in the table going into our match against them, I never would've believed you.

Me either. The craziest part of that is that this says more about the great football Chelsea has been playing than anything City has done -and it's not like City has been bad either. The young blood in Chelsea are becoming men overnight. If it was not for the #1 team playing at a ridiculous 92% winning percentage, Chelsea would legitimately be (at the current moment without said #1 team playing at a 35 win pace) a title contender right now in a wide open 4 horse race to the finish line with maybe 1-4 points separating them from 1st place instead of 8. Hell it's conceivable Chelsea would probably be playing City for 1st place in their game depending on the result of the LCFC game.

All the best going into that match btw. If the Blues win that game then City can probably kiss the title goodbye

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
That could not possibly have been a handball against Trent because the play should be dead as soon as the ball hits an attacker’s hand, which it did.

If Aguero doesn’t stop playing with the ball AT HIS FEET to complain for the call, he can square up Sterling and City lead 1-0. That was uncharacteristically stupid.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That could not possibly have been a handball against Trent because the play should be dead as soon as the ball hits an attacker’s hand, which it did.

If Aguero doesn’t stop playing with the ball AT HIS FEET to complain for the call, he can square up Sterling and City lead 1-0. That was uncharacteristically stupid.
Wouldn’t have stood on VAR due to hitting Silva’s hand. The result of that play never would have been a goal for City as if the ball hits the attackers hand it doesn’t have to be intentional. So if they believed Trent handled the ball and it was foul worthy it would have been a free kick for Liverpool. Though obviously if Aguero hadn’t stopped playing they would have at least been able to avoid the counter probably.

In general I thought Aguero and de Bruyne were pretty terrible (relative to their abilities) in this game. Bernardo and Fernandinho stood tall though. Walker plays for a top team :laugh:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I agree Man City are missing their best winger in Sane. He was always creating havoc against Liverpool.
Not sure if serious but the minute Laporte went down city lost the favourite title. Only ones who don’t think so are some of the LFC fans who still have small team mentality.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
People can say what they want about Vardy, but he does score a lot of goals. He could be a top 20 all time leading Premiership goalscorer by the end of the season. Top 10 by the time he hangs up his boots.
He's one of the best forwards in the league at pressing as well, the guy is just relentless when Leicester don't have the ball. His movement off the ball is really good as well. He's probably an underrated player really.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Their injury concerns are a big deal, but it’s not like Liverpool have had none. Top choice keeper missed 8 EPL matches. Matip hurt. Salah banged up. A couple of the first choice subs injured.

It’s also not the fault of Liverpool that a club who spent stupid money on basically everything decided they didn’t need to reinforce their central defense. I know they tried to get Maguire. But they let Kompany walk with no real addition to what was already their weakest spot. I’m sure moving Fernandinho back a bit with Rodri coming was a plan, but they still needed help there. Liverpool has more depth in central defense. You can certainly say that if one of front three got hurt that they’d be in trouble, but ask Barca how that might go.

the season is still long, and I don’t think it’s over at all. But today’s result is as much of a bit of arrogance of City thinking Stones and Otamendi were cover enough as it was the difference in two sides that were really just fractions away. At Anfield, it’s difficult for anyone to go and expect a result. Even with Liverpool not in the best form, they always were going to come out and give a show.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Their injury concerns are a big deal, but it’s not like Liverpool have had none. Top choice keeper missed 8 EPL matches. Matip hurt. Salah banged up. A couple of the first choice subs injured.

It’s also not the fault of Liverpool that a club who spent stupid money on basically everything decided they didn’t need to reinforce their central defense. I know they tried to get Maguire. But they let Kompany walk with no real addition to what was already their weakest spot. I’m sure moving Fernandinho back a bit with Rodri coming was a plan, but they still needed help there. Liverpool has more depth in central defense. You can certainly say that if one of front three got hurt that they’d be in trouble, but ask Barca how that might go.

the season is still long, and I don’t think it’s over at all. But today’s result is as much of a bit of arrogance of City thinking Stones and Otamendi were cover enough as it was the difference in two sides that were really just fractions away. At Anfield, it’s difficult for anyone to go and expect a result. Even with Liverpool not in the best form, they always were going to come out and give a show.
This appears to be where City's or Pep's tactical stubbornness costs them. They could have easily gone and bought a good defensive centerback who could be used for cover over the season or brought on late in games to defend a lead, but they don't seem interested in buying anyone who doesn't fit their possession tactic perfectly. They don't seem to care that Stones and Otamendi can't defend, they can play the ball so that's good enough. Despite having unlimited resources, it takes some serious dysfunction to end up with midfielders playing at the back and a fullback playing goal for you. Don't they even have some youth players that can fill these spots?

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Wouldn’t have stood on VAR due to hitting Silva’s hand. The result of that play never would have been a goal for City as if the ball hits the attackers hand it doesn’t have to be intentional. So if they believed Trent handled the ball and it was foul worthy it would have been a free kick for Liverpool. Though obviously if Aguero hadn’t stopped playing they would have at least been able to avoid the counter probably.

In general I thought Aguero and de Bruyne were pretty terrible (relative to their abilities) in this game. Bernardo and Fernandinho stood tall though. Walker plays for a top team :laugh:
I agree but City wanted to play on after Bernardo's touch (as any team would), so Aguero stopping seems silly. Aguero missed a few chances yesterday that I think he normally converts. I didn't realize how horrible (by his standards) his goalscoring record is against Liverpool, particularly at Anfield.

Reactions: YNWA14

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
This appears to be where City's or Pep's tactical stubbornness costs them. They could have easily gone and bought a good defensive centerback who could be used for cover over the season or brought on late in games to defend a lead, but they don't seem interested in buying anyone who doesn't fit their possession tactic perfectly. They don't seem to care that Stones and Otamendi can't defend, they can play the ball so that's good enough. Despite having unlimited resources, it takes some serious dysfunction to end up with midfielders playing at the back and a fullback playing goal for you. Don't they even have some youth players that can fill these spots?

The fullback playing goal has nothing to do with roster depth or tactical stubbornness. Their first choice keeper suffered an injury in the game, and the backup got a red for a DOGSO foul.

Also, Fernandinho is likely better at CB than one of the kids who've never played a first team game. It's really hard to go from playing U18 games to playing against Firmino, Salah, and Mane, even if you have all world potential.

I agree they should have had more cover at CB given that Laporte is their only good one, but mentioning the youth team or Walker playing 10 minutes of keeper is silly.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, it’s somewhat related to Liverpool not buying cover for the front 3. Players don’t want to sit the bench and never play. Even if the wages are there. But matches were there to be had in central defense. Stones has been crap for a while now. If they got a central defender they could’ve played a ton injuries or no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad