GWT: PL Matchweek 11

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Hard to see, looked like a foul, should be another red card and a free kick, otherwise Richarlison is stupid for going down.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Aurier made it look awkward, but his presence didn't actually do anything. It was due to how he landed on it before he even got to Aurier.

Son tried to break up the play a few seconds before, the Everton player rode it out and passed forward to Gomes. Son made a terrible challenge on Gomes to try to break up the play. It was on the high end of yellow as it was. The contact from Son kicking Gomes back leg caused him to twist awkwardly in the air and then his ankle landed bad under him and clearly broke. Then Gomes rolled into Aurier.

I didn't watch the replays repeatedly so you could be right.

I guess my point is if Gomez doesn't break his ankle is that a red or a yellow. For me the result shouldn't change either way based on Gomes injury.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I didn't watch the replays repeatedly so you could be right.

I guess my point is if Gomez doesn't break his ankle is that a red or a yellow. For me the result shouldn't change either way based on Gomes injury.

If he doesn't get injured it's a very clear yellow. It wouldn't rise to the level of red, but it's not that far from it. He made zero attempt at the ball and was straight hacking the player down.

Reactions: Blender

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Always should have been yellow
Disgrace by the ref to get talked into changing his mind by the everton bench. You always judge the act, not the results, to suggest otherwise is just stupid.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They are ripping Atkinson and VAR for not giving a penalty on the Dele Ali handball in the post game show.

Edit: They are now ripping on the Deulofeu penalty decision for how inconsistent things are, even with the same official involved. Also saying how VAR isn't working and is actively making the league worse.

Shearer now saying how with VAR it is encouraging diving and players are hitting the pitch with any and all contact, yet no one is getting called for diving.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They are ripping Atkinson and VAR for not giving a penalty on the Dele Ali handball in the post game show.

Edit: They are now ripping on the Deulofeu penalty decision for how inconsistent things are, even with the same official involved. Also saying how VAR isn't working and is actively making the league worse.

Shearer now saying how with VAR it is encouraging diving and players are hitting the pitch with any and all contact, yet no one is getting called for diving.
Again. The refs don’t want to overturn each other. They need independent 3rd parties, or at least Championship Refs in the VAR booth

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Always should have been yellow
Disgrace by the ref to get talked into changing his mind by the everton bench. You always judge the act, not the results, to suggest otherwise is just stupid.
Probably didn’t want to watch the leg break over and over again on VAR to confirm.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If he doesn't get injured it's a very clear yellow. It wouldn't rise to the level of red, but it's not that far from it. He made zero attempt at the ball and was straight hacking the player down.
Mane vs Ederson. Injury makes it a red, rightfully or wrongfully.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

Wasn’t Alli fouled on that play?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Everyone saying judge the act not the result is going to be shocked at the way the law works. You should bear the responsibility for the outcome of reckless actions.
Then there should be retroactive punishment for yellows that result in long layoffs.

But there isn't.

And the court of law has literally no relevance here.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Everyone saying judge the act not the result is going to be shocked at the way the law works. You should bear the responsibility for the outcome of reckless actions.

Yea, it’s not even unique in sports.

As I mentioned, there’s a clear difference between thinking about the result on a challenge like this and a situation where you’re trying to toe poke the ball away from a guy, just miss it, happen to go knee to knee and he freak blows his ACL.

When you make a reckless challenge you bear some responsibility for the outcome. That clearly doesn’t automatically mean injury = red card, but when you’re already making a reckless challenge it shouldn’t be a surprise to see it go to red when there’s a significant and immediately apparent injury.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Yea, it’s not even unique in sports.

As I mentioned, there’s a clear difference between thinking about the result on a challenge like this and a situation where you’re trying to toe poke the ball away from a guy, just miss it, happen to go knee to knee and he freak blows his ACL.

When you make a reckless challenge you bear some responsibility for the outcome. That clearly doesn’t automatically mean injury = red card, but when you’re already making a reckless challenge it shouldn’t be a surprise to see it go to red when there’s a significant and immediately apparent injury.

I am not surprised but that doesn't make it the right call.

The call should be the same regardless of the injury. Making calls harsher because of an injury is a moronic way to make decisions.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Willems has looked pretty good for Newcastle.

Agreed. When he was described as a short, fast bloke who could play central midfield or full back, I feared the second coming of Vurnon Anita. He's been far better suited than that to the league, even if at times he gives the impression of his feet operating too fast for his brain.

Reactions: YNWA14

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I am not surprised but that doesn't make it the right call.

The call should be the same regardless of the injury. Making calls harsher because of an injury is a moronic way to make decisions.

Virtually every part of society judges things based partially on the results instead of strictly the intent. That’s just human nature.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Virtually every part of society judges things based partially on the results instead of strictly the intent. That’s just human nature.

Virtually every part of society judges the results based on the circumstances not on the result alone. At least in the society that I have been apart of things may be very different where you are from.

When something occurs out of your control you are not then punished for that.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Virtually every part of society judges the results based on the circumstances not on the result alone. At least in the society that I have been apart of things may be very different where you are from.

When something occurs out of your control you are not then punished for that.

The circumstances here are that Son’s tackle was reckless, made no attempt at the ball, and directly led to a very significant injury to his opponent.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The circumstances here are that Son’s tackle was reckless, made no attempt at the ball, and directly led to a very significant injury to his opponent.

Not directly.

The circumstances are that Son made a yellow card worthy tackle and Gomes unfortunately got hurt. It’s unfortunate the injury happened and unfortunate that it was so horrific but that doesn’t change the fact the tackle was worth a yellow card at most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->