GWT: PL Matchweek 1

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
You're missing my point. In situations where the flag goes up, it's unfair for VAR to overturn it. I'm not talking specifically about this situation. Use your imagination. Imagine a situation where it's a tight line, the players offside, the flag goes up, the player scores after the defenders stop moving.

The players have been instructed to complete the move.

Also they should only stop on the referees whistle, not the flag.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Not the ideal scoreline, but I can be nothing but satisfied with that half on the whole. We've looked really good, unlucky with the finishing, with an incomplete XI. And best part? That was a really entertaining first half!

I'm sorry but no. You're supposed to play until the ref blows his whistle. If you stop playing before he does that, that's on you, not VAR.

He blew the whistle before Rashford put it in the net, did he not?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It's only the first half and they are playing another top 6 side but I think Chelsea will struggle a bit this year. Mount and Abraham are good young players they just aren't clinical enough yet and shouldn't be started for a team that wants to make the top 4. Pedro and William are getting older so don't think they'll pick up the slack either. I can see them being challenged for 6th and I don't think they'll go far in the Champions league.

Both teams are showing why basically no one is picking them for top 4.

Sloppy play on both sides.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's only the first half and they are playing another top 6 side but I think Chelsea will struggle a bit this year. Mount and Abraham are good young players they just aren't clinical enough yet and shouldn't be started for a team that wants to make the top 4. Pedro and William are getting older so don't think they'll pick up the slack either. I can see them being challenged for 6th and I don't think they'll go far in the Champions league.
They have Kante, Rudiger, Pulisic, and RLC all out, who will likely be core players this season when fit/healthy. Kante and RLC especially should thrive under the fluid movement Lampard expects.

Even with this disjointed lineup and some Zouma stupidity, Chelsea were the better team in the first half.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

That's a weird response to a half in which Chelsea looked really dangerous with a bunch of core players out.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Mount and Zouma have been yikes.

Abraham has been a pylon in terms of movement.

Reactions: AB13

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They looked dangerous on attack but really sloppy defending through the midfield.
No surprise. We have Mount, Kovacic, and Jorginho in the midfield with Barkley also drifting inside. Which of those players is even competent at defending? None of them are anywhere close to RLC at applying pressure, let alone Kante who is better than the 3 of them combined.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not the ideal scoreline, but I can be nothing but satisfied with that half on the whole. We've looked really good, unlucky with the finishing, with an incomplete XI. And best part? That was a really entertaining first half!

A little sloppy defensively from you guys, but as you said in another post have a few guys out right now. United started off rough and turned it around in the last half.

Hoping the 2nd half is just fun to watch as the 1st.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Pogba hasn’t looked great. He’s been good when keeping it simple but then he tries to do too much. Also can United fans rejoice with me that we have a proper back line? AWB has been really really good so far, Maguire keeps it simple, Lindelof and Shaw both continue their form from last season. Andreas has been a surprising bright spot. I had high hopes for him coming into the season and had no idea how he would perform. I think Lingard is the only player that really hasn’t been good enough.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Pogba hasn’t looked great. He’s been good when keeping it simple but then he tries to do too much. Also can United fans rejoice with me that we have a proper back line? AWB has been really really good so far, Maguire keeps it simple, Lindelof and Shaw both continue their form from last season. Andreas has been a surprising bright spot. I had high hopes for him coming into the season and had no idea how he would perform. I think Lingard is the only player that really hasn’t been good enough.

AWB is a huge upgrade to Young in that spot defensively. Absolutely worlds different.

And yea, Pogba has been sloppy. Trying to be too intricate in a lot of things.

Reactions: Gecklund

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Obviously I want Pulisic to come on because I think he'll make the team better, but I'm really enjoying seeing USMNT fans on Twitter getting really whiney that he hasn't played yet

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Obviously I want Pulisic to come on because I think he'll make the team better, but I'm really enjoying seeing USMNT fans on Twitter getting really whiney that he hasn't played yet

He’d be lucky to surpass some of the seasons Dempsey and McBride had at Fulham. But we’re getting treated as if he’s Jackie Robinson for the PL and Americans here. It’s laughable.

Reactions: Cassano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad