GWT: PL Matchday 3

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I mean, Arsenal had four in the midfield yesterday and got run by three. How is that lineup going to work if they can’t get the ball up to the forwards?

Maybe that lineup is good for a 4-2 loss or a 4-3. But they’re not getting a result at Anfield

I'm talking about the game coming up against Tottenham.
That lineup is good for the win IMO.

Forget Anfield, we aren't winning there, that's a given with the team we are at the moment.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
disapointed by spurs sad to say but its time to blow this team up i think.. if they don't wina trophy this year..

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
disapointed by spurs sad to say but its time to blow this team up i think.. if they don't wina trophy this year..
I'm not trying to be rude but I think that's a lofty expectation given who they're competing against for trophies. I think most people recognize the CL run was a bit of a cinderella run and not representative of where they really sit as a squad overall. It's not something you look at and think is repeatable. I think the goal here should be to make top 4 again and continue to build on the foundation of a team that has some very strong pieces. 3rd is far from a guarantee this season as Arsenal, despite their showing against Liverpool, have really improved their team.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

Why should winning the League Cup or even the FA Cup make a difference? Never got why people put stock in these K.O. competitions where you may get to the Final having played one or two real teams when it comes to evaluating where your team stands. Those FA Cup wins arguably were the worst that could happen to Arsenal as it kept Wenger around for 2 more years when he had long run out of steam.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
not sure the last time I've seen Spurs play without any urgency like that...really uninspired play today

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t think Spurs should pack it in. Really hard to integrate that many players into what Poch wants to do, especially with his pressing system and all the Eriksen nonsense. Klopp takes a couple months into the season to integrate new players, so it’s understandable that there are some concerns. Spurs also are still trying to find out how to play with the new parts, which is a new feeling. Heck, Kane might not even be 100%.

Either way, I will be more interested in how the contenders for 3-4 play at home with City, Liverpool and their counterparts more so than how they maybe slip up in a random match.

Steve Bruce is who he is, but his sides rarely give up leads. He’s always going to get 11 behind the ball, and that might take a bit when you’re still meshing parts. I would expect a much better showing from Spurs if Arsenal play an open game.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Do you think Poch has had his turned with other ooportunities that he's a bit distracted?

More that he has been told over and over again he will get control of his team. Meanwhile Eriksen and Vert are still there when he would have liked to sell them, and so was Alderweireld. They bought two players and two prospects. I would be super pissed off.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
More that he has been told over and over again he will get control of his team. Meanwhile Eriksen and Vert are still there when he would have liked to sell them, and so was Alderweireld. They bought two players and two prospects. I would be super pissed off.

I'm sorry but I find this very hard to believe.

He doesn't want all of those players to leave. And all of those incomings are 100% Poch's signings.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm sorry but I find this very hard to believe.

He doesn't want all of those players to leave, and Spurs bought three signings that were on his quoted wishlist (according to Dan KP) + Clarke.

Let's say that he doesn't want them to leave. He'd definitely want them to have new contracts in that case. Both of which seem to not be happening.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
To me it seems like Poch has had a falling out with a few players, and the players are siding with eachother. He can have quite the ego.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Spurs haven’t looked great but they did steal one from City, whereas Arsenal got tanked by Liverpool.
This is such a silly argument. It was 3-1 versus 2-2. City dominated much more than Liverpool did. Ederson essentially gave Spurs a goal. Spurs needed VAR for a result.

Reactions: Cassano

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
'That'll shut a few people up,' said Steve Bruce, who went on to talk about a supportive phone call from Alex Ferguson, who'd told him to 'keep his head down'.

Unfortunate, that having guided Newcastle to one of their best away wins under the Ashley maladministration, the manager makes himself sound so small. Under immense, deserved criticism last week, Bruce cut a panicked, desperate figure. Meanwhile, the fact that, approaching his 59th birthday, he still makes himself sound like a schoolboy sat at Ferguson's feet does nothing to demolish the argument that he's a man out of his depth.

Most unfortunate of all, while the league table is merely embryonic at this stage NUFC remain in the relegation zone. This victory only prevented them being cut adrift with Watford. And Watford at SJP are their next league opponents.

Lose that game, and all the good done by yesterday's victory will be scattered to the winds. Too fickle? Only if you don't remember the 2015/16 campaign. Newcastle mugged Spurs 2-1 at White Hart Lane that year. They drew home and away against Manchester United (who at that stage, remember, still looked capable of bouncing back from the glories of the Sir David Moyes era), drew at home to Chelsea, and beat Liverpool at SJP during one of Klopp's early games. But the season ended in relegation, because when they played the mid- and lower-table teams, they didn't perform. That tendency to pick and choose when they applied themselves drew justifiable scorn from Jose Mourinho, and it'll be hard to avoid a similar reaction if, either side of the shop-window game against a top six outfit come miserable displays in fixtures that only Newcastle United fans are watching.

From the moment he walked through the door, Bruce begged for patience. Ironic that his own behaviour has wanted that quality. He inherited a 3-4-3 team that was notable for its organisation, but so besotted did he become with Jonjo Shelvey that he binned the tried and tested to usher in a sort of 3-5-1-1 that aimed to accommodate Hayden, Longstaff and Shelvey, while using Almiron more centrally too. Jonjo Shelvey is a test case - if you strive to build your team around him you are a fool, and your inevitable sacking is deserved. I'd like to think his being dropped now at last marks his end at Newcastle United. Given he's one of the club's highest earners he'll be hard to dispose of, but he simply hasn't the temperament to be a side's main man.

Bruce supporters are annoyed by those who've pointed out that the team won yesterday reverting to Benitez's formation. It is only the truth. Bruce deserves equal credit for not stubbornly persisting with a formation that had failed and blame for imposing it in the first place against Arsenal and Norwich. A win over Spurs is a nice scalp for him, but it'll look less clever if come May Newcastle finishes in 18th, and Norwich are 17th, with the margin between the teams three points or less.

Joelinton's goal and general performance are cause for optimism. He's far from the finished article, but in that game alone he showed greater aptitude for leading a Premier League attack than Mitrovic ever did. Like the Serb, alas, much is being asked of him so early in his EPL career. The sense that the team will live or die dependent on his finishing is hardly diminished by yesterday's events.

'Enjoy the victory, don't pick' say the Bruceophiles. All very well, but eleven victories are necessary to stay in the Premier League. And Newcastle United should aim far higher than that anyway. Hopefully Alex Ferguson told Steve Bruce that consistency of results defines sports people - for good or ill. Hopefully Bruce passes the message to his players. And hopefully the players listen. Maybe yesterday marks the beginning of an unlikely success story. On the other hand, the longest-lasting outcome from the game may be the loss of Saint-Maximin with a re-aggravation of an injury. He started at Tottenham on the back of only two training sessions, rushed back by a manager preaching patience while scrabbling desperately for a short-term boost to his credibility.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Just saw that Spurs have only won 4 of their last 15 league matches. That has to be pretty concerning especially after a very tight game with Villa and losing to Newcastle. The teams they've managed to beat don't exactly inspire confidence either:

opbSfJE.jpg

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Just saw that Spurs have only won 4 of their last 15 league matches. That has to be pretty concerning especially after a very tight game with Villa and losing to Newcastle. The teams they've managed to beat don't exactly inspire confidence either:

opbSfJE.jpg

About the same as United's run.

United are 1-3-4 in their last 8, 3-3-6 in their last 12, and 5-4-6 in their last 15.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

opbSfJE.jpg

That Burnley game is their start of their horrible away form. They haven't gotten an away point from then.

It's like they want to copy exactly what Arsenal have been going through.

Can't wait to see what excuses come out of this since it's so far been injuries and CL hangover which non Tottenham supporters are saying.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I was very excited for the new season, because Spurs played like shit in the tail-end of last season. I thought it was largely because of injuries, fatigue and the deep CL run. All they would need is the summer break to look better again.

But somehow they are playing even more shit. My disappointment level is off the charts.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
That Burnley game is their start of their horrible away form. They haven't gotten an away point from then.

It's like they want to copy exactly what Arsenal have been going through.

Can't wait to see what excuses come out of this since it's so far been injuries and CL hangover which non Tottenham supporters are saying.
they just got a point at the Etihad

Reactions: phisherman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad