GWT: PL Matchday 2

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Apparently United coaching staff have been watching a lot of the video of last season's meetings, so they should be prepared.

I would hope so....

I would have also hoped they had watched a lot of video before the FA cup and April matches too, but both of those were losses in which United shouldn't have felt hard done by. They were the second best team on the pitch both times.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah, I'm enjoying the Chelsea bashing from opposing fans. This was always going to be a transition season. A successful season simply comes down to some of the youth developing into quality players to make a bigger impact next season when Lampard can bring players in to play his style. It's clear the defense needs to be revamped and to bring in an actual #9. For the attackers, we need to see which ones out of Mount, RLC, Hudson-Odoi, and Pulisic can be long-term starters and where we need to bring in upgrades.

But sure, opposing fans keep up with the hot takes. All clubs get to this point, I just laugh when I see a crazy hot take from a fan of a club that was at this point in recent times.
I'm fairly confident RLC and CHO will continue to develop into quality starters. RLC has been great when healthy for both Palace and Chelsea, but how consistently healthy he can be is a huge question mark.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm fairly confident RLC and CHO will continue to develop into quality starters. RLC has been great when healthy for both Palace and Chelsea, but how consistently healthy he can be is a huge question mark.
I'm confident in them as well. As long as they stay fit and the injuries don't take too much out of them, they should be fine. It just depends what caliber of players they develop into.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm confident in them as well. As long as they stay fit and the injuries don't take too much out of them, they should be fine. It just depends what caliber of players they develop into.
Healthy RLC was our second best midfielder last year. He doesn't have the passing ability some others have, but his ability to press and create turnovers when defending, and to create separation and beat guys 1v1 when attacking was fantastic for us. He compliments Kante very well in that regard.

I'm high on Mount, but he needs tons of refining when off the ball, especially in our half.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Healthy RLC was our second best midfielder last year. He doesn't have the passing ability some others have, but his ability to press and create turnovers when defending, and to create separation and beat guys 1v1 when attacking was fantastic for us. He compliments Kante very well in that regard.

I'm high on Mount, but he needs tons of refining when off the ball, especially in our half.

Yeah, RLC 1v1 ability is missed right now. His combination of athleticism and strength is huge.

Mount is still a bit raw. He pressed great to create that goal, but at other times he led to the midfield getting lost to Leicester. He'll get better, but he'll have his ups and downs.

This year will be a bit like when we brought AVB, except the youth this time has more potential, and Lampard probably has more respect from the vets than AVB had.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah, RLC 1v1 ability is missed right now. His combination of athleticism and strength is huge.

Mount is still a bit raw. He pressed great to create that goal, but at other times he led to the midfield getting lost to Leicester. He'll get better, but he'll have his ups and downs.
I think Mount's biggest weakness is he has been close to useless when we try and play out from the back. I'm not sure he really knows what to do, as he has looked completely lost. It leaves us short an outlet in trying to transition up the field into the attack.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Game started about like expected. United with a boatload of possession in the middle third, but Wolves keeping good shape and stopping basically anything in the final third.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Meh, would rather have Pereira in for set pieces. Not sure what James is supposed to bring against this team...

I think James has more of a place early in this game when it's expected to be more open.

If United score, it worked. If they don't, Wolves are gonna back in more and more as the game goes on and James doesn't have as much value as Pereira in a collapsed game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad