GWT: PL Matchday 2

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Michael Owen with the useful point that Chelsea played 120 minutes a few days ago. Accounts for a lot of the tired legs in the second half. We're definitely lucky to get away with a point, but Leicester has been a bogey side for us for years.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Azpilcueta is finished IMO starting for big clubs. He doesn't provide that expansive offensive side to his game that is required by today's fullbacks.

Why hasn't Reece James hasn't gotten a look?

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Azpilcueta is finished IMO starting for big clubs. He doesn't provide that expansive offensive side to his game that is required by today's fullbacks.

Why hasn't Reece James hasn't gotten a look?

Reece James is hurt, he'll get good minutes when he's back. Critcizing Azpilicueta offensively after this game is weird though, because his crossing and overlap was good today.

Reactions: Cassano

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Some of the Chelsea takes have been over the top here, but there’s one thing that I would definitely worry about if I were a fan. 3 straight games where they started well, but opponents made halftime adjustments and they had no answers. Opposing managers are clearly adjusting and in the 2nd half, Chelsea get ran.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I disagree, he's not shown to be anything better than a mid-tier Premier League keeper so far, he's certainly not world class or deserving of starting for a best of the best club.
wasn't the option him or one of the overrated English keepers (Butland, Pickford)?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
wasn't the option him or one of the overrated English keepers (Butland, Pickford)?
I wasn't criticizing the buy, he's a fine keeper and has done an adequate job. We paid too much, but what are you going to do in today's market? I was refuting the opinion that he is somehow too good for the club despite never showing that ability on a consistent basis.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Michael Owen with the useful point that Chelsea played 120 minutes a few days ago. Accounts for a lot of the tired legs in the second half. We're definitely lucky to get away with a point, but Leicester has been a bogey side for us for years.

That’s true, but the second half issue wasn’t just this game. Happened in the previous two games as well.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I wasn't criticizing the buy, he's a fine keeper and has done an adequate job. We paid too much, but what are you going to do in today's market? I was refuting the opinion that he is somehow too good for the club despite never showing that ability on a consistent basis.
Yeah not sure how Kepa is better than a club that finished 3rd and won the Europa League. That's probably his level at his peak.

Reactions: Blender

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It’s really sad that I watch games to figure out who I want at United next season. So far I’ve determined Maddison, Rice, and Sancho would be a great summer considering needs and English.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Leicester definitely dropped points there, besides 20 minutes of action and one disaster of a play by Ndidi who dropped the soap, they were the better team. I thought Pedro looked good everywhere except where it matters...putting the ball in the back of the net.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Chelsea, Wolves and Leicester will be interesting to follow throughout the season.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Some of the Chelsea takes have been over the top here, but there’s one thing that I would definitely worry about if I were a fan. 3 straight games where they started well, but opponents made halftime adjustments and they had no answers. Opposing managers are clearly adjusting and in the 2nd half, Chelsea get ran.
I mean, Lampard is learning on the job. He has minimal experience and were he not a legend, he would not have Chelsea’s job. He’s objectively one of the least proven managers with probably the hardest task. No one knows expectations, but if they want top 6 it might be too much

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The issue with Chelsea is that they don't have a talent advantage over a team like Leicester. They have greater strength in depth, which has an impact over the course of the season, but the starting lineups they're fielding aren't much different.
Spot on, I don't think it would be controversial to take Leicester's starting XI over Chelsea's.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, I would take Kante and whomever over Leicester’s.

He’s the one truly world class player on that pitch. I think some of Chelsea’s young players have talent, I’m just concerned they don’t have the patience to let them develop

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

He’s the one truly world class player on that pitch. I think some of Chelsea’s young players have talent, I’m just concerned they don’t have the patience to let them develop

The trap they could fall into is finishing a distant 6th (or lower) this year and deciding they need to splash the cash to get back into the top 4. In doing so they’d replace a bunch of their youngsters with players who are better now, but don’t have remotely close to the ceiling.

Then the youngsters get pissed off and leave because they’re not seeing first team football.

Similar spot United are in, although their youngsters are a couple years further away so there’s less chance of it happening.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The trap they could fall into is finishing a distant 6th (or lower) this year and deciding they need to splash the cash to get back into the top 4. In doing so they’d replace a bunch of their youngsters with players who are better now, but don’t have remotely close to the ceiling.

Then the youngsters get pissed off and leave because they’re not seeing first team football.

Similar spot United are in, although their youngsters are a couple years further away so there’s less chance of it happening.
I seriously doubt United will splash cash on big names at the expense of the youngsters. Ole knows what the club is about.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

He’s the one truly world class player on that pitch.
Sure, but how many world class CDM's honestly win games for clubs? Sure they impact the play greatly which cannot be justified by analytics or numbers, but I suggest that CDM is also a position where you truly don't need an amazing player in it to win championships either. I think the most important world class positions on the pitch is a combination between #9, #10, #4, #11, or #7 and perhaps a #8.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I seriously doubt United will splash cash on big names at the expense of the youngsters. Ole knows what the club is about.

Sure, if Ole is there. But if they finish poorly, how long does he have?

If you decide to commit to youth you either have to time it perfectly or be willing to sit on a couple rough years. I’d be surprised if ownership at either club is willing to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad