GWT: PL Matchbox 20

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Unai Emery was holding their top 3 squad back!

I don’t think even Klopp or Pep could get that squad into sixth place this season. Their team sucks ass.

Jorginho should have received a second yellow, but in the grand scheme of things that would just enable people to think everything is fine.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don’t think even Klopp or Pep could get that squad into sixth place this season. Their team sucks ass.

The wholes are definitely being exposed more this year. I still think today was a solid effort, obviously the Leno error was deflating. It is hard to believe that 6th is now 6 points up on Arsenal, with the away form that will be extremely hard to make up. At this point we only really got the Europa League to play for, but that could be over pretty quick if we have another horror show away game.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The ref not giving Aguero a yellow for time wasting as he went off was a disgrace.

Told him multiple times to go off on the close side, Aguero repeatedly ignored him, and then once he started to listen he stopped to shake the refs hand.

Reactions: Blender

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Spot on with everything,

- Lacazette should be the one benched, not Pepe.
- Ozil was very good.
- Arteta needed to make more subs and much earlier, the team needed something fresh to match Lampard's subs. Nelson was useless in the second half, it needed some more danger from that side.
- I would add that Torriera was MTOM for either side.
- I would rather play a 15 year old centreback than Mustafi.

I forgot to mention Torreira, very good game, and agreed on his performance.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The holes are definitely being exposed more this year. I still think today was a solid effort, obviously the Leno error was deflating. It is hard to believe that 6th is now 6 points up on Arsenal, with the away form that will be extremely hard to make up. At this point we only really got the Europa League to play for, but that could be over pretty quick if we have another horror show away game.
If Arsenal played like that against Chelsea for the rest of the season, we'll make the top 8 easily and have a positive GD. We have one of the easier schedules to close out this terrible campaign. However, seeing Chambers get injured throws everything up in the air now [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

Jorginho should have received a second yellow, but in the grand scheme of things that would just enable people to think everything is fine.
Won’t happen, but I think Klopp with a window and a decent scouting team could get the bulk of that team top 6. But this season? Eh. It’s going to take other teams being just as crap.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Just finished watching Chelsea - Arsenal.

Wow, the first thirty minutes were terrible. Arsenal should be pissed they didn't kill the game there as we couldn't hold onto the ball and every time we gave it up, it seemed as if Arsenal were running at us 4 on 4.

We controlled the last 60 of the match.

There can't be any complaints about Jorginho if there weren't any about Guendouzi. Both should have been off, really.

Emerson sucked so hard it hurt to watch. Desperately in need of a left back and desperately in need of someone who can drive the ball at defenders consistently because we can't create offense.

London is blue!

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Such a bull**** loss, Jorginho should've gotten a red card. Not sure what Wenger saw in Mustafi either...

Also, LOL at Wolves goal at being offside, but FA doing all they can to make sure Liverpool wins every game so nothing new to see here.
Guendouzi was also on a yellow and should have been sent off, even if the foul was outside the box. I think it was in the box, though.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Guendouzi was also on a yellow and should have been sent off, even if the foul was outside the box. I think it was in the box, though.

I actually didn’t realize he was already on a yellow. That makes it even worse.

Should have been penalty to level it and Arsenal at 10 men.

The contact started outside the box but continued until at least the line and the line is part of the box so it was a pen.

Makes more sense why VAR didn’t do anything though, they didn’t want to see him sent off, and if they call a penalty the ref basically has to give a yellow.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Chelsea were controlling the game but had created literally nothing before what should have been the sending off. Then he throws Torreira down to get free to score the goal which also went uncalled. I fast forwarded the stoppage time in disgust so maybe I missed one late on but the second Chelsea goal is the only good chance I remember they had the entire game.

What is the rule about those fouls that start outside the box but continue in? Am I the only one who would love to see a rule change regarding not all fouls in the box being penalties in situations like that where it's away from the ball and has no bearing on the play? I would have no problem with Chelsea getting a free kick on that play but a penalty is just dumb. I'm sure that opens another can of worms giving incompetent refs and var officials more chances the screw those judgment calls up but I prefer that to incidental fouls that didn't stop a scoring chance leading to penalties in a sport with so few goals.

Reactions: AB13 and S E P H

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

Most managers would, and Arteta will finish in the top 7 at the very worst. I will remember this comment and remind you when I am proved right. Arsenal have 8 injuries, most of which are key.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Most managers would, and Arteta will finish in the top 7 at the very worst. I will remember this comment and remind you when I am proved right. Arsenal have 8 injuries, most of which are key.
That’s pretty optimistic. They’re going to be hard pressed to catch any of Leicester, Wolves, United, Spurs and Chelsea. Who are they passing for a top 7 spot at the worst?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So I just saw a replay of the Mane goal and honestly it shouldn’t have counted. The rule is that it can’t touch a hand in the buildup of the goal. VvD handled the ball right before sending the ball to Lallana. I don’t agree with the rule but according to the rule that shouldn’t have been a goal.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So I just saw a replay of the Mane goal and honestly it shouldn’t have counted. The rule is that it can’t touch a hand in the buildup of the goal. VvD handled the ball right before sending the ball to Lallana. I don’t agree with the rule but according to the rule that shouldn’t have been a goal.
They showed multiple angles of the van Dijk part and it doesn’t look like it hits his arm at all, at worst inconclusive. Unless they’ve shown something different than what they were discussing at half.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad