GWT: PL Match Week 13

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
His sleeve on the upper right arm is loose (from not being compressed by the ball hitting it) and there is space between his arm and the ball. That's shoulder and the side of his chest, not his arm. Would have been a disgrace to take this goal away.

XbDDCan.png

You can see that the ball isn’t a perfect circle because it’s being absorbed into the jersey. The ball also looked like it came down slightly faster than it should have on the video.

Again, I’m not remotely upset it wasn’t called back because I dislike the new rule, but it seems pretty obvious to me from that still and the video that it contacted his arm.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You can see that the ball isn’t a perfect circle because it’s being absorbed into the jersey. The ball also looked like it came down slightly faster than it should have on the video.

Again, I’m not remotely upset it wasn’t called back because I dislike the new rule, but it seems pretty obvious to me from that still and the video that it contacted his arm.
The ball is compressed because it is hitting the side of his chest and shoulder. That isn't against the rules. McBurnie did a great job turning his torso to make sure it didn't hit his arm.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Amazing second half. Fair result, but United should have killed it off. James worked his socks off trying to defend (unlike Greenwood) towards the end but missed the ball on that goal.

James and Rashford really are key players for United right now. They need a striker though. Like I've said, I understand selling Lukaku for the money on the table, but what doesn't make sense is not bringing anyone else in. Also not sure why they'd loan Smalling out when they're left with Jones. They just need to get Pogba back (even though this season's result don't suggest it'd matter) and McTominay and Solskjaer needs to stop tinkering with the formation.

His sleeve on the upper right arm is loose (from not being compressed by the ball hitting it) and there is space between his arm and the ball. That's shoulder and the side of his chest, not his arm. Would have been a disgrace to take this goal away.

Actually it looks like all three, but I'd have given it.

That's not happening anytime soon. He said in an interview with Gary Neville before the international break, maybe 3 weeks ago, that Woodward has given the message that Ole will get time to complete the rebuild. Even two defeats in a row would not danger his job.

That may be the case, but at some point results matter. Nothing to do with today, but if they go through a rough enough run of results he'll be sacked.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well United last 11 games: 6 wins 3 draws, 2 defeats.

Right, but reverse that in their next 11 matches and he's likely gone. Not that it will happen, but the point is results have to be at a certain level for any manager to be safe.

Curious if Solskjaer survives long enough to next season and can bring in some good players where this team can go. If they can add Sancho and Haaland to James and Rashford that's a lot of young attacking talent. They still need to bolster the midfield and the back line though.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Right, but reverse that in there next 11 matches and he's likely gone. Not that it will happen, but the point is results have to be at a certain level for any manager to be safe.

Curious if Solskjaer survives long enough to next season and can bring in some good players where this team can go. If they can add Sancho and Haaland to James and Rashford that's a lot of young attacking talent. They still need to bolster the midfield and the back line though.

They have the resources to possibly buy enough talent to make a run to a CL spot, but unless OGS magically develops tactical skills, they’re not going to compete for anything of meaning under him, he’s not a good manager at all.

Almost every time he tinkers with the formation it backfires and his subs, when they’re not forced like today, are usually poorly timed and don’t do much from a tactical standpoint.

I’ve also seen virtually no evidence that he’s capable of instilling good tactics into the team, and most of their chances come off players making individual plays instead of systemically created. Defensively they also give up many of the same goals over and over and there no visible adjustments to account for it.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
They have the resources to possibly buy enough talent to make a run to a CL spot, but unless OGS magically develops tactical skills, they’re not going to compete for anything of meaning under him, he’s not a good manager at all.

Almost every time he tinkers with the formation it backfires and his subs, when they’re not forced like today, are usually poorly timed and don’t do much from a tactical standpoint.

I’ve also seen virtually no evidence that he’s capable of instilling good tactics into the team, and most of their chances come off players making individual plays instead of systemically created. Defensively they also give up many of the same goals over and over and there no visible adjustments to account for it.

I don't disagree for the most part, but I do think there's a lot of context that can be added. I think he got it right against Liverpool and today's changes clearly had an impact, but then in both instances I'd also cite players making individual plays. He's definitely not the long terms solution which takes away from the story.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Clearly Utd should fire OGS and hire Pochettino.

OGS was never even considered the best Norwegian manager. He is a good learner, but I doubt he'll ever be good enough for a top PL team.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Right, but reverse that in their next 11 matches and he's likely gone. Not that it will happen, but the point is results have to be at a certain level for any manager to be safe.

In all honesty, why would either of those players come? Dortmund is competing for the title (in 6th but 4 points behind) and in the CL. Haaland can go to Leipzig who is again competing for the title and in the CL. Manchester United is no where near competing for the title and is looking like they’ll miss the CL again unless they win the Europa. Money talks but is it really THAT convincing?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Clearly Utd should fire OGS and hire Pochettino.

OGS was never even considered the best Norwegian manager. He is a good learner, but I doubt he'll ever be good enough for a top PL team.

Poch would be/is a better manager, but the issue is far larger than the manager.

Poch would improve them, but the issues are systemic and won’t stop as long as Woodward has input into football decisions.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Poch would be/is a better manager, but the issue is far larger than the manager.

Poch would improve them, but the issues are systemic and won’t stop as long as Woodward has input into football decisions.
Are we sure Maguire and AWB fit in a Poch system?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Absolutely. But I still think they should go for the better manager.

I get giving people time, but....

Not that I think Pochettino is the managerial god he is made out to be.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
In all honesty, why would either of those players come? Dortmund is competing for the title (in 6th but 4 points behind) and in the CL. Haaland can go to Leipzig who is again competing for the title and in the CL. Manchester United is no where near competing for the title and is looking like they’ll miss the CL again unless they win the Europa. Money talks but is it really THAT convincing?

I don't disagree, but money and playing in the top league for one of the biggest clubs in the World are big factors. As for the BL title, we'll see. Early days and the title is indeed up for grabs this season more than most, but not sure I'd bet on either side winning it, especially BVB.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What a weird game... Watched the first 50 minutes and then left for lunch as I felt there was no point in watching the rest of the game. Get to the restaurant and were up 1, but then subsequently give up the tying goal.

Maybe I'll stop watching the games for a little?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't disagree, but money and playing in the top league for one of the biggest clubs in the World are big factors. As for the BL title, we'll see. Early days and the title is indeed up for grabs this season more than most, but not sure I'd bet on either side winning it, especially BVB.
Money is a big deal. I think they have a shot at one of the two. But if I'm Sancho, do I really want the cash of United, and the odds on chance that there might be a new manager in another window?

I think the struggle is going to be if City, Liverpool or say Real/Barca come calling for either of those players. Do I want to play for Pep or Klopp, or go to United and make a little more money, but potentially not see my trade develop?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad