GWT: PL FINALE - Matchweek 38

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I haven't read anything in this thread that is as snobbish as this:
If you support a small club, more power to you.

It's the notion that you're somehow less than for supporting a larger club. Even though I can count the people here on one hand who support a club that isn't huge.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Idk HFBoards is a pretty young site. I'd guess most of the soccer fans who post in this forum are under 40.
Whatever it is, it's always a bunch of supporters of massive clubs marking their territory over loyalty.

I'm not ok with having my loyalty questioned. I absolutely sold my soul to this season. I'm exhausted.

And I'm sorry I maybe wasn't as spent when we were in 8th. I'm only human after all.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
If you support a small club, more power to you.

It's the notion that you're somehow less than for supporting a larger club. Even though I can count the people here on one hand who support a club that isn't huge.

No, when you make conceited statements such as "people should support big clubs", or obtuse declarations such as "big clubs make the game interesting", you're the one implying that smaller clubs seemingly aren't worth supporting, and when this is in response to accusations of glory hunting, it adds a veneer of arrogance to your argument. Oh, of course I support a big club, why would I waste my time supporting irrelevant clubs like you? That's pretty much how that reads. So when these older, to the manner born European supporters of less extravagant clubs like Ceremony tell you off, you shouldn't be surprised, and it's not because they're threatened by the arrival of American fandom.

Reactions: Evilo

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
However, Salah has now hinted he will stay at Liverpool by vowing to fight for the title again next season.

"We only lost one game all season,” the Egypt international said.
“We gave everything. We got 97 points.
“We will fight next season for the title."

Didn't see him leaving anyway, but that's nice.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No, when you make conceited statements such as "people should support big clubs", or obtuse declarations such as "big clubs make the game interesting", you're the one implying that smaller clubs seemingly aren't worth supporting, and when this is in response to accusations of glory hunting, it adds a veneer of arrogance to your argument. Oh, of course I support a big club, why would I waste my time supporting irrelevant clubs like you? That's pretty much how that reads. So when these older, to the manner born European supporters of less extravagant clubs like Ceremony tell you off, you shouldn't be surprised, and it's not because they're threatened by the arrival of American fandom.
Without big clubs, we have the NHL.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
Whatever it is, it's always a bunch of supporters of massive clubs marking their territory over loyalty. ...
Idk. In 74 when I jumped on the Chelsea bandwagon they were coming off a 17th place finish and were one of the poorest teams. I think I'm a little bit loyal. I don't think I know more than any other poster in here about any aspect of football.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Without big clubs, we have the NHL.

But how do we define these 'big clubs' that people 'should support'? Football operates now on the notion that some clubs are inherently big. Historically, this isn't necessarily the case (who knows, for all their self-aggrandisement maybe that's exactly why the big clubs have been so keen on skewing the financial side of the game to hamstring their opponents for so long).

From 1954 to 1962 Liverpool were in the second tier of English football. By your own definition, you presumably wouldn't have supported them at that time.

Indeed, while we pile a lot of emotion into football, sometimes the ties we build have an arbitrary element to them. I'm a Newcastle United fan because my father was a Newcastle United fan, and his natural father before him. But my paternal grandfather died when my dad was very young, and exerted no footballing influence over him. It so happened the first game my father saw live was a sunderland top flight game at Joker Park. (In those days - before every household had a TV and a car - quite a few people went to watch Newcastle and sunderland alternate weekends). The next weekend he went to see second tier Newcastle play at home and something about the place captured his heart.

But supposing his passions had been stirred by his visit to Wearside - why, he might have raised me as a fan of sunder... (vomits).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Indeed, while we pile a lot of emotion into football, sometimes the ties we build have an arbitrary element to them. I'm a Newcastle United fan because my father was a Newcastle United fan, and his natural father before him. But my paternal grandfather died when my dad was very young, and exerted no footballing influence over him. It so happened the first game my father saw live was a sunderland top flight game at Joker Park. (In those days - before every household had a TV and a car - quite a few people went to watch Newcastle and sunderland alternate weekends). The next weekend he went to see second tier Newcastle play at home and something about the place captured his heart.

I love these kind of stories! All about the family ties. Do you reside in New Castle at this point?

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
That would be peak stupid, the dumbest transfer I could ever imagine. But if they have a 100m transfer budget with what they need, they could use 150m more. Arguably need that much more.
They should get a bit more back, but it's a move ManU should do. Pogba's value staying in the club is negative. Getting a motivated Bale and 50 million would be godsent. You need to understand, that Bale never really felt at home in Madrid.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They should get a bit more back, but it's a move ManU should do. Pogba's value staying in the club is negative. Getting a motivated Bale and 50 million would be godsent. You need to understand, that Bale never really felt at home in Madrid.

United signing more 30 year olds is the dumbest thing they could ever do. They keep doing it, it keeps failing. Over and over and over.

If they did it that would be great, but people should understand they need a mandate to sign players only under 25 years old. They need all that money from a Pogba fee to revamp the squad. 50 million doesn't buy shit anymore.

Reactions: Gecklund

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
United signing more 30 year olds is the dumbest thing they could ever do. They keep doing it, it keeps failing. Over and over and over.

If they did it that would be great, but people should understand they need a mandate to sign players only under 25 years old. They need all that money from a Pogba fee to revamp the squad. 50 million doesn't buy **** anymore.

Bale isn't 30 yet, barely. He could have a new spring in PL where he can speak english and doesn't feel left out. Pogba played well after Mou was sacked and the Norwegian was interim manager, but the whole house of cards came tumbling when Ole Gunnar got a contract. Pogba will only ever shine with a compatible manager, and I don't think there are that many, but Zizou is a good bet.

Idealistic youth campaigns won't work in United. They don't really work in any premier league teams. It's not like American pro leagues where you tank on purpose. United needs to be a contender every year, more or less realistically or they will lose their value that has been trickling a bit already.

They need to publicly challenge City, even if the realistic goal is a CL slot.

Last edited:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
United are in for a long rebuild imo. They don't have the correct manager which will further delay things. If Pogba is gone there are very few players they should keep and build around.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I feel like at the end of each season there is talk of a Man U rebuild

Last year they were supposed to strengthen and add some older players who, if I was a United supporter, it would have made me a little angry to add. Some of them were good and some weren't. No talk of a rebuild project though.

If they had signed Alderweireld and/or Maguire they may have finished top four.

Idealistic youth campaigns won't work in United. They don't really work in any premier league teams. It's not like American pro leagues where you tank on purpose. United needs to be a contender every year, more or less realistically or they will lose their value that has been trickling a bit already.

Liverpool signed 0 key players over 26 years old in the last three seasons. Not a single one. They absolutely do work. Nobody is talking about "tanking"

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s not like they’re going to go out and sign kids who’ve never played if they went for youth.

They could go get Sancho tomorrow and have him for a decade. Go see if Barca want to move on from Dembele. Go raid three or four parts from Ajax.

They have the money. Get players who are hungry, improve and surround them with other talented players who aren’t over the hill.

Then you won’t have them quit on the manager (well two managers).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Last year they were supposed to strengthen and add some older players who, if I was a United supporter, it would have made me a little angry to add. Some of them were good and some weren't. No talk of a rebuild project though.

I cannot picture Man U ever really committing to a full rebuild project. They strike me as a board that will try to fix issues with a band aid purchase of a player on the older side of things.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

If they did it that would be great, but people should understand they need a mandate to sign players only under 25 years old. They need all that money from a Pogba fee to revamp the squad. 50 million doesn't buy **** anymore.
I think under 28 would be better but it has to be the right fit. It’s more important to get the right fit player than anything else.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
So that penalty miss by Auba against Spurs cost Arsenal top 4 and St. Totteringham's Day and a golden boot for Auba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad