GWT: PL catch-up to MW 35 & 36

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The rule needs to be changed to account for whether or not the keeper can actually save the ball, and now that there's VAR they can tell. But until they do this is clearly offside as the rules dictate:

He obviously can't see the ball.

See, I don't agree that he was clearly obstructing his vision. It's debatable he was even in a direct line with the header, and the ball was high enough he could probably see it. It was very harsh to disallow that goal.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The rule needs to be changed to account for whether or not the keeper can actually save the ball, and now that there's VAR they can tell. But until they do this is clearly offside as the rules dictate:

Yea that’s clearly offside under how the rules are written and implemented currently. I agree they should change it because those goals “should” count under “reasonable” offside rules.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
See, I don't agree that he was clearly obstructing his vision. It's debatable he was even in a direct line with the header, and the ball was high enough he could probably see it. It was very harsh to disallow that goal.
He definitely saw it. Alisson is like 4 inches taller than Bartley and the ball was contacted like a foot over his head.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

That should be a goal since Alisson didn't see the initial header but that shot wasn't the scored strike.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
There is offside when the goalie can't see the ball that was struck to get in.
Here it's just as if he didn't see a cross or pass.
Not offside under any rule.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
As I said at the time, I was surprised that it didn’t count. That’s whole indirect offsides thing....I don’t understand it but it is what it is.

Liverpool won on the last play of the game on a
Goalie header. That’s the beautiful game.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Joke of a goal disallowed. Would have never saved it and it's not like WBA player is 5 meter wide. Just a shit call like most of those offside goals are.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The FA’s website says some things that are different than the rule anywhere else. I think we all agree it should be a goal though.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You know, I go back to when Allardyce was managing Everton and they got a very lousy PK off Dejan Lovren. Allardyce says something along the lines of don’t touch someone in the box if you don’t want a penalty called.

How about don’t park your player in front of the goalie if you don’t want obstruction called? It kind of goes both way when you want to play on the margins of the rule book. I see arguments for it both way. I honestly would have gone with the call on the field but whether Alisson saw the ball or not, the WBA player knows what his job is on that set piece. He is there to screen Alisson. He is offsides, making no effort to get on because he is there to screen.

but again it’s thin margins for a reason and plenty has gone wrong for Liverpool this season so maybe it’s finally going to even out?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You know, I go back to when Allardyce was managing Everton and they got a very lousy PK off Dejan Lovren. Allardyce says something along the lines of don’t touch someone in the box if you don’t want a penalty called.

How about don’t park your player in front of the goalie if you don’t want obstruction called? It kind of goes both way when you want to play on the margins of the rule book. I see arguments for it both way. I honestly would have gone with the call on the field but whether Alisson saw the ball or not, the WBA player knows what his job is on that set piece. He is there to screen Alisson. He is offsides, making no effort to get on because he is there to screen.

but again it’s thin margins for a reason and plenty has gone wrong for Liverpool this season so maybe it’s finally going to even out?
No, it's just not against the rules. If the header had gone in, THEN Allison would have been screened. But since it was a pass, there isn't a single thing in the rulebook that says you can't screen a goalie on a PASS.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No, it's just not against the rules. If the header had gone in, THEN Allison would have been screened. But since it was a pass, there isn't a single thing in the rulebook that says you can't screen a goalie on a PASS.
I mean only hatterson knows what’s in the rule book.

Reactions: Evilo

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't think it should have been called off. Looked legit to me. Happy for Alisson though...he needed that.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
A magical moment from Allison. His post-match pres conference almost made me fell good about Liverpool winning ;)

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I mean only hatterson knows what’s in the rule book.

I have the ability to google things and a good memory for things like that. I don’t have some mystical secret rule book ability. It’s really not that hard.

The offside rule applies to passes just as much as goals and the PL, more than other leagues, always heavily leans towards keepers on plays like that.

The WBA player was in an offside position and impacted (by the PL implementation) Allison’s ability to react to the play thus it counts as an offside offense.

Realistically, Allison would never be a professional keeper if that amount of “obstruction” actually had an impact on him, but that’s pretty consistent with how the PL calls those.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
When you realize that Gareth Bale has 9 goals and 2 assists in 883 minutes for Spurs this season. I haven't been following them closely this year is there a reason he hasn't played more? Was he injured?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I have the ability to google things and a good memory for things like that. I don’t have some mystical secret rule book ability. It’s really not that hard.

The offside rule applies to passes just as much as goals and the PL, more than other leagues, always heavily leans towards keepers on plays like that.

The WBA player was in an offside position and impacted (by the PL implementation) Allison’s ability to react to the play thus it counts as an offside offense.

Realistically, Allison would never be a professional keeper if that amount of “obstruction” actually had an impact on him, but that’s pretty consistent with how the PL calls those.
The offside rule applies, but not the screening since he didn't screen THE SHOT.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
When you realize that Gareth Bale has 9 goals and 2 assists in 883 minutes for Spurs this season. I haven't been following them closely this year is there a reason he hasn't played more? Was he injured?
Looked into this a bit ago. He feasted on the relegation teams. His usage has been very specific.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The offside rule applies, but not the screening since he didn't screen THE SHOT.

In England they have a much more stupid interpretation, which also doesn't say if it's the shot or not:

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

In situations where:
  • a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball; if the player moves into the way of an opponent and impedes the opponent's progress (e.g blocks the opponent) the offence should be penalised under Law 12

Like I said, pretty stupid.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s all dumb, but I will say, let’s not go to a decision that could add more discretion from the ref. We are already there for regular offside and handballs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad