GWT: PL catch-up to MW 35 & 36

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL how often does that even happen?! I know goalies like Chilavert and Campos used to score on free kicks but a technical header in that big a spot?!

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
LOL how often does that even happen?! I know goalies like Chilavert and Campos used to score on free kicks but a technical header in that big a spot?!

Yeah that wasn't some easy power header. Gonna be completely honest I totally lost my head there. I cannot believe that just happened.

Reactions: trostol

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah that wasn't some easy power header. Gonna be completely honest I totally lost my head there. I cannot believe that just happened.

The first time I saw it I thought it was the guy next to the keeper, I was beside myself when the announcers were going nuts over the keeper scoring waiting for a replay to see it.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Savant doesn't know whether to celebrate or cry over the shattered illusion of anti-Liverpool officiating bias.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Alisson has made some blunders, but he has saved LFC's season on multiple occasions as well. Guy is a legend

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
- preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision

There is definitely a case for it, was it correct though? Don't think it would have been overturned if the assistant didn't put his flag up

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
- preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision

There is definitely a case for it, was it correct though? Don't think it would have been overturned if the assistant didn't put his flag up
This was discussion I saw brought up for qualifying for the world cup in Brazil. I think the goal should have counted but I can understand why they ruled it out.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

It was a correct decision but he wouldn’t have saved it, which apparently doesn’t factor into the rule even though it should. The player standing there really messed up as well.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I remember a goal against De Gea that was overturned because of obstruction on his view and I thought it was bullshit too.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL at two of the six goalies to score goals in the PL being Friedel and Howard. Our forwards can’t score for crap but our goalies do.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I missed everything but the Allison goal (saw a replay). Why are people saying Liverpool got good officiating?

I guess it had to do with that offsides goal where one West Brom player maybe screened the goalie but otherwise had nothing to do with the goal, he was just standing (stupidly) passively offside but it still didn’t count.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I guess it had to do with that offsides goal where one West Brom player maybe screened the goalie but otherwise had nothing to do with the goal, he was just standing (stupidly) passively offside but it still didn’t count.

Oh. Well I'd have to see it to say for sure, but in general the PL is extremely deferential to keepers on those plays. It doesn't really matter if the keeper had a chance or not, if someone is in his general line of sight they'll almost always give it as offside.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Oh. Well I'd have to see it to say for sure, but in general the PL is extremely deferential to keepers on those plays. It doesn't really matter if the keeper had a chance or not, if someone is in his general line of sight they'll almost always give it as offside.

The rule needs to be changed to account for whether or not the keeper can actually save the ball, and now that there's VAR they can tell. But until they do this is clearly offside as the rules dictate:

He obviously can't see the ball.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, they let it slide when there’s a mass of players in the box actively going for the ball.

Here, it’s a player with no desire or ability to play the ball, who is just running a screen on the goalie. I don’t know if it’s intention that gets the WBA player there, but he’s setting a hockey screen. You can’t let that become accepted, or every free kick, we’d see players shading the goalies.

I don’t think Alisson gets to it, and it looked like you could argue he still could’ve made an effort for it, but I see why it was called off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad