PK Subban

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Offer 5 yrs $4M...exact same as Cam Fowler compare their pts totals and they are the same

Pitkanen-Faulk
Gleason-Subban
Harrison-Sanguinetti
McBain-Corvo...trade assets for fwd depth

Murphy future

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
I'd probably give him what he wants (lots of years at $5 million or over per year). He's a 23 year old #1 defenseman, great in both ends.

If Bergevin lets him go to "look tough," he's really costing the Habs.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Am I the only one that finds pk to be overrated and with an excess amount of drama?

I just don't get the fuss with that guy.

We would likely new to move out similar salary as well.

I agree, and wouldn't pay him longer than a 2 year deal, or 2.5 million per. He's no Justin Faulk!

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I think this is exactly the bold move the Canes eventually *have* to make if they're going to be serious about having an NHL-level defense. However, I think you guys are seriously underestimating what it would take to get Montreal not to match. This is one of the reasons there's an unwritten "no offer sheets" rule. Because for the most part, it's a waste of time. Anything in the general vicinity of reasonable will be matched, and all we did was get a key player on a conference rival re-signed.

If you're going to do this, you need to make it hurt (i.e. Philly signing Weber) and even then it might not work (i.e. the Preds matching).

And with the new contract rules, I'm not even sure it's possible to "make it hurt" the way the Flyers did to the Predators. It's definitely not possible for us to give Subban 30 percent of the full value of the deal in the first 366 days, like Philly did to Nashville. So if it's a Benn-type deal, Montreal won't like it because they don't want to give the long-term deal, but they'll match and all we did was piss off a potential trade partner and -- as I said before -- make Montreal a better team.

Having said all that, it wouldn't bother me if we went nuts for Subban, and made Montreal squirm. I like the guy and his skillset. I like his speed, his youth and his charisma. I'd give three No. 1s.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Seriously a 1st round pick is a MAYBE if he is in the top 10...a 3rd round pick is less likely to make the NHL. If you have a sure fire NHL caliber right shot physical d man why not give up the picks???

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
You want to show a serious comittment to this year? To winning right now, while we have Semin on a 1-yr contract? Sign Subban.

If this is a serious push to win NOW, then you at least make the attempt. Stuff about holding back young players, etc goes out the window for now. Worry about that in the off-season.

We should take a run at him and make a real push this year. Next year is next year.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I agree with most of the sentiment here. Montréal would match probably just about any dollar value, but I wonder if length would make them a bit gun shy? See Scott Gomez.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I say offer him 5 years at 6m per front loaded.

Then the Habs can't match with out dropping some other players.

Not only do we NOT have the actual cash to frontload contracts, but the Habs DO. Frontloading wouldn't give us any sort of advantage, and they'd still have the cap room, unless I'm missing something this is a bad idea.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I say offer him 5 years at 6m per front loaded.

Then the Habs can't match with out dropping some other players.

Right now, if I read Capgeek correctly, the Habs can add an AAV of $6.56M..so I think that means they can match it. Also, since they have 23 on the roster right now (including 7 defensemen) without Subban, they have to drop out another player (likely a defenseman) when they add Subban anyhow, regardless of his cap hit. That would give them about another million to play with when that person is moved/demoted.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Right now, if I read Capgeek correctly, the Habs can add an AAV of $6.56M..so I think that means they can match it. Also, since they have 23 on the roster right now (including 7 defensemen) without Subban, they have to drop out another player (likely a defenseman) when they add Subban anyhow, regardless of his cap hit. That would give them about another million to play with when that person is moved/demoted.

I think I heard that Weber's on his way out, anyway. I may be making things up, but yeah, that'd be another $850,000 to play with.

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
I agree, and wouldn't pay him longer than a 2 year deal, or 2.5 million per. He's no Justin Faulk!

Subban is what the Canes want Faulk to become...Subban is used to to shut down the opponents' top lines and also is an excellent guy for the PP. In other words, he's an actual top pairing defenseman with all star talent and a real edge to his game.

I bet Detroit and Philly will be in on Subban big time. And we all know how bad the Penguins have been wanting to improve on D.

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
"Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

So P.K. Subban re-ups with MTL, two years, $2M in Year 1 and $3.75M in Year 2 for $2.875M AAV."

Brilliant by Bergevin. Perfect outcome for Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad