PK Subban vs Sergei Zubov

PK Subban vs Sergei Zubov

• Total voters

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I still think Zubov gets in the hall eventually.

Had he not played in the shadow of Lidstrom and Niedermayer, he'd have won a Norris for sure IMO.

Still the only defenceman in NHL history to lead a Presidents' Trophy-winning team in scoring.

Hell, had he not been shuffled out of Pittsburgh by Lemieux, maybe they would have another Cup under their belt as well.

I"m just happy he finally ended up in Dallas for as long as he was there. :yo:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I still think Zubov gets in the hall eventually.

Had he not played in the shadow of Lidstrom and Niedermayer, he'd have won a Norris for sure IMO.

Still the only defenceman in NHL history to lead a Presidents' Trophy-winning team in scoring.

Hell, had he not been shuffled out of Pittsburgh by Lemieux, maybe they would have another Cup under their belt as well.

I"m just happy he finally ended up in Dallas for as long as he was there. :yo:

I mean, most top 5 dmen in the league would also win another Norris or two if you took out the top 2 guys. Not really a good excuse.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I mean, most top 5 dmen in the league would also win another Norris or two if you took out the top 2 guys. Not really a good excuse.
While true, in most years Zubov was on par with both, but got 0 recognition because he didn't play in a market, and NHL awards are as much a popularity contest as anything

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
While true, in most years Zubov was on par with both, but got 0 recognition because he didn't play in a market, and NHL awards are as much a popularity contest as anything

He wasn’t on par with Lidstrom. He was closer to Niedermeyer but let’s not make things up. Lidstrom’s popularity helped him at the end of his career but it took a bit for people to recognize how perfect he was.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
He wasn’t on par with Lidstrom. He was closer to Niedermeyer but let’s not make things up. Lidstrom’s popularity helped him at the end of his career but it took a bit for people to recognize how perfect he was.
Then you clearly never watched him. (Zubov)

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Even if it was Zubov, which I'm not convinced it is. Screw that team, Turco and Hatcher...so glad when Marchant iced them...man!

Voting subban because I think hes better and out of spite.

#Dont@Me

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I feel like Zubov was like the 5th-8th defenseman for most of his prime and Subban has been the 3rd-5th best defenseman for his prime so PK

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I feel like Zubov was like the 5th-8th defenseman for most of his prime and Subban has been the 3rd-5th best defenseman for his prime so PK

That might be fair but I think you could argue Zubey's peers were better. So you have to weigh that as well. Very close between those 2, but I'd lean Subban too. Tied poll so I guess it's a decent comp.

Reactions: Silky mitts

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Yes but the top x you're competing against can vary in quality between different generations. In this case its:

Doughty, Keith, Karlsson, Burns, Weber, Suter, Chara, Hedman

vs

Lidstrom, Bourque, Pronger, MacInnis, Leetch, Stevens, Niedermayer

When discussing the history of hockey I've always said it's much harder to stand out in a 30 team league than a 6 team league, and for me Zubov would be a prime example of this.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Zubov but it's close, tough, great poll.

Could be Subban depending on how he ages. We have Zubov's full body of work.

We actually just had a good conversation elsewhere re: Leetch and Zubov and how they just toyed with people.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Remember when the Rangers had Zubov and they also had Leetch, and they traded Zubov to get tougher?

Man, f***ing good times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad