Proposal: PK Subban to Toronto

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
would have probably done it a year ago but subban is already 30 and just had the worst season of his career.
9 million for a guy who was probably the preds 4th best dman this year? meh

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
The only subban deal I would be ok with (and still not thrilled) is subban at $4.5 million for one of kadri or nylander. If that gets scoffed at that's fine by me.
At $9 million I don't think he holds any value at all.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Funny how many people in this thread calling Subban high risk. Keep drinking the media Kool Aid. I’ve watched him a ton and that’s inaccurate. People are still painting him with the brush of his 21 year old self.

Reactions: Tex76 and FerrisRox

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Ellis for zaitsev and kapenen? Would anyone be up for that? Nashville takes on some additional salary. I think zaitsev sucks less when he can be sheltered more and kapenen can replace smith once we trade him at the deadline or let him walk into ufa

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Toronto would be foolish to give up that many pieces for 1 very high paid defenseman.

member 290103

Not sure Subban is worth his contract any more. Value has certainly diminished after a very poor season, coupled with a host of questions about his character.

Actually, hopefully the Leafs do get him.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The only subban deal I would be ok with (and still not thrilled) is subban at $4.5 million for one of kadri or nylander. If that gets scoffed at that's fine by me.
At $9 million I don't think he holds any value at all.
Subban is worth more than either of them at full cap hit. At $4.5m, he's worth far more.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I dunno...I get the age concern but Tavares is right in that range. The idea is to win now and I think Subban would be a great fit with that offensive core. Plus the guy appears to have some passion in these big games and I'm sure that getting to play in Toronto could amp that up even further.

Toronto should continue to build toward this offensive juggernaut status, IMO. Subban would be a great add.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Not sure Subban is worth his contract any more. Value has certainly diminished after a very poor season, coupled with a host of questions about his character.

Actually, hopefully the Leafs do get him.

One bad season won't have much impact on his value. A lot of people are ignoring the fact players of Subban's caliber aren't usually available. If he was coming off a stellar season, you'd be paying an insane price tag compared to say, just Nylander. The whole idea is buying when the value is lower than it would be otherwise. I'd be very surprised if Subban didn't rebound. He's far from old.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
One bad season won't have much impact on his value. A lot of people are ignoring the fact players of Subban's caliber aren't usually available. If he was coming off a stellar season, you'd be paying an insane price tag compared to say, just Nylander. The whole idea is buying when the value is lower than it would be otherwise. I'd be very surprised if Subban didn't rebound. He's far from old.
He is averaging 43 points over his last three seasons.
That's not very good for an offensive dman making $9 million.
At full cap hit, he does not hold much value.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
He is averaging 43 points over his last three seasons.
That's not very good for an offensive dman making $9 million.
At full cap hit, he does not hold much value.
Matthews is only averaging 69 points last 3 years and he's making almost 12. "Oh wait a minute Matthews didn't play all 82 games so those numbers are askew" yea kinda like subban because he didn't play all 82 games either and this year played with a nagging injury that made his numbers slightly dip this year. Would be curious how you felt about Doughty? He played a whole 82 games and only had 14 more point in 20 more games and was a minus 34 while subban was a +8. And doughty makes 11 million a year. Is doughty not a top defenseman anymore either?

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Matthews is only averaging 69 points last 3 years and he's making almost 12. "Oh wait a minute Matthews didn't play all 82 games so those numbers are askew" yea kinda like subban because he didn't play all 82 games either and this year played with a nagging injury that made his numbers slightly dip this year. Would be curious how you felt about Doughty? He played a whole 82 games and only had 14 more point in 20 more games and was a minus 34 while subban was a +8. And doughty makes 11 million a year. Is doughty not a top defenseman anymore either?
Sorry.
Let me be more precise with the stats.
Pk Subban has 130 points over his last 211 games over the past 3 seasons.
These are not good statistics for an offensive defenceman making $9 million.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Ellis for zaitsev and kapenen? Would anyone be up for that? Nashville takes on some additional salary. I think zaitsev sucks less when he can be sheltered more and kapenen can replace smith once we trade him at the deadline or let him walk into ufa
Tempting. Maybe if Toronto adds a third or second round pick to make up for zaitsevs contract

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Sorry.
Let me be more precise with the stats.
Pk Subban has 130 points over his last 211 games over the past 3 seasons.
These are not good statistics for an offensive defenceman making $9 million.
Pk and Ekholm is our more defensive pairing so i would call pk more a 2 way defenseman with a better offensive upside. And even with pk having a down year he still has a slightly better ppg average than doughty( which is praised on these boards) in those 3 years youre talking about and he makes 11 million a year. Pk is still a top defenseman and he has plenty value. He's not getting traded for cap dumps picks and prospects.

Reactions: Tex76

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad