Proposal: PK Subban to Toronto

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

I'll tutor you...

Tavares 11m
Matthews 11.5m
Nylander 6.9m
Marner 10m (?)
- that's half your payroll on 4 players.
I assume Nylander is the weak link here, but if you think one of the others are going first I'd be interested to hear your rationale

Last edited:
Reactions: Feniggles

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I mean he is the type Toronto is looking for unless you are referring to his age/contract. Dubas stated that they would be looking to add guys that can move the puck, not defensive dmen that everyone seems to think it what is need.

Yeah I could see us going after Subban if actually available, but we don't have the cap space next season unless we can find a way to dump both Marleau + Zaitsev.

And I doubt Nashville goes for a package headlined by Kapanen/Johnsson. Just too many things that are in the way of a defenseman like Subban coming to the Leafs.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'll tutor you...

Tavares 11m
Matthews 11.5m
Nylander 6.9m
Marner 10m (?)
- that's half your payroll on 4 players.
I assume Nylander is the weak link here, but if you think one of the others are going first is be interested to hear your rationale

Lol our cap situation is fine barring any major adds, thanks for worrying about it though.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Zaitsev (cap offset)
Brown (cap offset)
1st in 2020
1st in 2021
2nd in 2022
prospect or two not named Sandin or Liljegren.

Nashville takes on some offsetting salary and get a bunch of assets in return.

So the equivalent of 3 firsts, a 2nd, Brown and admittedly a cap dump? PK subban is 30 and definitely not worth his 9 mil hit. And he ain’t worth 3 1sts and a 2nd either, lol.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
nylander is such a floating cream puff, don't know the love affair with that kid. he cares more about his hair than going to the dirty areas. pure diva. not a playoff guy.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
nylander is such a floating cream puff, don't know the love affair with that kid. he cares more about his hair than going to the dirty areas. pure diva. not a playoff guy.
I thought he looked fantastic last night. Won nearly every puck battle and played most of the game in bostons end.
He has looked great since moving to center. His line mates (Marleau and brow) however.....

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
So the equivalent of 3 firsts, a 2nd, Brown and admittedly a cap dump? PK subban is 30 and definitely not worth his 9 mil hit. And he ain’t worth 3 1sts and a 2nd either, lol.
No, it's 2 1sts and a 2nd.

Adding Brown and Zaitsev only drops Nashvilles cap by about $2.5M per season and so they're giving up a top pair right shot (on most teams), and paying really expensive depth players just to give Fabbro a top 4 spot, I'd say 2 1sts, a 2nd and a couple prospects would be fair for Nash.

if the cap wasn't involved maybe just the 2 1sts.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Not a huge fan of Subban. More novelty than substance. We don't really need that type of polarity in our back-end. We really need to be targeting more cost-efficient, defensively adept d-men.

Would prefer Ellis, but not sure we could work something out with the Preds. Don't think we are good trade partners.

Also I'd rather keep Nylander. His value is clearly not at his highest, yet I'm still as high on him as I've ever been. We are seeing how much more effective he is up the middle of the ice, with more responsibility and space....something I've been chiming for a while..as soon as he moves permanently to middle of the ice and continues to get comfortable, his value will only continue to increase. I put this at +/- ~1.5 years....but it's fast-tracking quicker then expected.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
As a neutral observer, I think Subban would be perfect for Toronto. He would flourish in Toronto's "run and gun" offensive style. The Toronto media would also adore him, and he would bask in the attention. He is also a big city guy. I think he would love Toronto.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
So; a liability, a Cap Dump, and a Late 1st. Somehow I doubt Nashville is interested.

Kadri is not just a liability. But I agree - value is low.

Zaitsev is having a very good post season though alongside Muzzin and Sandin and Liljejren are both looking very good for the Marlies. To be honest I don't think we would entertain a Subban trade unless Zaitsev went the other way.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Do you want to trade Matthews, Rielly or Marner?

I'm not sure that's a good idea.

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Nylander has been invisible in the playoffs so far .He is too soft , plays the perimeter all the time and has no grit to his game . I would take Subban any day of the week over Nylander .

Reactions: thepuckguru

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
For Subban he might be, I wouldn't necessarily like it because of the age difference but Subban would solve A LOT

I don’t think he does.

A top pairing defensive D with good offence would solve a lot. Subban is very high risk. Definitely wouldn’t do it for Nylander. Not interested at all knowing he carries a 9 mill price tag. I was a fan of his before. Not really anymore

Exactly this.

Zaitsev (cap offset)
Brown (cap offset)
1st in 2020
1st in 2021
2nd in 2022
prospect or two not named Sandin or Liljegren.

Nashville takes on some offsetting salary and get a bunch of assets in return.

I don’t think Nash is interested in picks and cap dump.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
As a neutral observer, I think Subban would be perfect for Toronto. He would flourish in Toronto's "run and gun" offensive style. The Toronto media would also adore him, and he would bask in the attention. He is also a big city guy. I think he would love Toronto.

Yeah, 2 years ago he would've been great.

They can't afford him with Marleau/Zaitsev making 10.75 million next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad