Confirmed with Link: PK Subban makes NHL first-team all-stars

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
This is a big honour and will go a long way to making his statement for the HoF when his career winds down. Congrats PK!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=676355&navid=DL|NHL|home

Joining Ovechkin and Crosby on the First All-Star team are four first-timers -- Penguins left wing Chris Kunitz, defensemen P.K. Subban of the Montreal Canadiens and Ryan Suter of the Minnesota Wild, and Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky.

Kunitz led all left wings with 22 goals and 52 points. Subban tied for the lead among all NHL defensemen with 38 points, was second with 11 goals, and won his first Norris Trophy. Suter played more minutes than any player in the League, was third among blueliners with 32 points and was a Norris finalist.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Sadly, I think the PHWA voting shows that Subban was probably the right choice for the Norris which may have been made for entirely wrong reasons.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
The same guys who vote for the Norris vote for the all-star teams.

So then all the awards are invalid? Is this what you're saying here?

Yes, some writers made a glaring mistake in the all-star voting, no need to make a bigger deal out of this than it really is.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
So then all the awards are invalid? Is this what you're saying here?

Yes, some writers made a glaring mistake in the all-star voting, no need to make a bigger deal out of this than it really is.

I think that there are a number of incompetents in the PHWA's voters which drags down the legitimacy of the awards.

That's said, I think Subban deserved the Norris. I just think there would have been a number of people voting for him for the wrong reasons. But there are also a number of people who voted for Suter for the wrong reasons as well, way to much weight got put on ice-time per game this year.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
I think that there are a number of incompetents in the PHWA's voters which drags down the legitimacy of the awards.

That's said, I think Subban deserved the Norris. I just think there would have been a number of people voting for him for the wrong reasons. But there are also a number of people who voted for Suter for the wrong reasons as well, way to much weight got put on ice-time per game this year.

I don't doubt that you thought Subban deserved the Norris, I just wanted to challenge the notion that the AS selection fiasco should cast a shadow on the voting process as a whole.

Here is something worth considering, quoted from main board:

The info coming out about the voting process is pretty funny and sad. This is based on the digging @mc79hockey did.

Voting starts April 20th before the season is over. Of course we all knew already the NHL doesn't care about the last week or so of one of the most competitive seasons ever coming down to the wire for many teams to make the playoffs.

The NHL tells voters to use nhl.com to determine player positions, and even now, OV is listed as a LW on the site.

And, the memo to consider OV a RW doesn't come out until the 22nd after many have voted.

This doesn't completely excuse people that voted OV as LW without first questioning why the NHL had him listed as LW, but it certainly shows the NHL is partially to blame for this embarrassment. This is also likely why they don't change the results. They know they messed up and just have to leave it as is.

So in reality, its not all on the PHWA, and it has nothing to do with the Norris.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
I don't doubt that you thought Subban deserved the Norris, I just wanted to challenge the notion that the AS selection fiasco should cast a shadow on the voting process as a whole.

Here is something worth considering, quoted from main board:

So in reality, its not all on the PHWA, and it has nothing to do with the Norris.

If it was an isolated incident sure.

But its not. There is a persistent tendency towards silliness in PHWA voting. Like guys getting votes for numbers earned by being supporting cast to superstars (Dupuis and Kunitz this year). Or Norris and Selke votes based on context free use of +/- which happens every season. There seems to be enough incompetents who phone in their votes that the process is somewhat tainted.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
If it was an isolated incident sure.

But its not. There is a persistent tendency towards silliness in PHWA voting. Like guys getting votes for numbers earned by being supporting cast to superstars (Dupuis and Kunitz this year). Or Norris and Selke votes based on context free use of +/- which happens every season. There seems to be enough incompetents who phone in their votes that the process is somewhat tainted.

No doubt you are right.

They aren't all bad though one has to hope, at least not the majority of them.

It's a shame this had to happen.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Congratulations PK!

I'd guess PK's agent is delighted and Bergevin has mixed feelings re the next contract.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Uhh P.k has the talent to be a HOF player, if his career isn't derailed he will get ino the HOF.

No doubt hes an inspiration for young kids specially those less fortunate.

Bold statement: P.K. Subban will have a trophy named after him one day.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
No doubt you are right.

They aren't all bad though one has to hope, at least not the majority of them.

It's a shame this had to happen.

Seeing how the voting breaks down each year, I'd say at least about half of them are pretty good. They can at least parrot back the consensus, which tend to be fairly reasonable, if still somewhat flawed.

There seems to be a solid fringe group of idiots with a ballot though. Which is why I think the process needs to become transparent so their will be efforts to weed them out.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Congratulations PK!

I'd guess PK's agent is delighted and Bergevin has mixed feelings re the next contract.

Id easily give 12 millions/year and the C to P.K. and trade Price while he has value to save on the cap.

A franchise player is a franchise player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad