OT: Depends Who You Ask Apocalypse - Off Topic Thread of Summer

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
I watched the first season of survivor. Thrown on an island, no food no shelter, go at it. It was good. Stopped watching after season 2. Saw 5 minutes last night when I turned on the TV, channel was already on CBS. And I see quite a nice shelter with floor boards and a thatched roof strung together with plastic rope, and contestants that look like they’ve been eating well enough. I’m fairly certain a small group of people with close to zero experience building stuff did not put this together.

what kind of survivor is this?

Except that wasn't where they were staying the entire season. That was for the last day or two.

Reactions: SteveH124

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Did they get a spa treatment at the Last Day Resort, too? :D

Come on, you know that's saved for the Ponderosa ;)

This season was absolutely brutal. A pretty unlikable cast. The whole mess with the guy who was inappropriately touching a bunch of the women and the producers botching the response to it.

Reactions: SteveH124

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Come on, you know that's saved for the Ponderosa ;)

This season was absolutely brutal. A pretty unlikable cast. The whole mess with the guy who was inappropriately touching a bunch of the women and the producers botching the response to it.

Agreed. Season sucked. I watch every season bc my wife loves it so its "our thing".

They couldnt have handled the sexual harassment any worse.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just saw Uncut Gems with my wife, it's pretty damn good. Sandler is really strong when he does serious roles, but if you only like straightforward conventional films you may not like it.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Looks like we also need to start a horrible TV show thread.

I want some pizza.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Anyone see Miracle Workers on TBS? Pretty funny. On demand, it’s only like (7)-22 minute episodes. Starring Steve Buschemi and Daniel Ratcliffe. season 2 coming out soon.

season 1 trailer-

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Anyone see Miracle Workers on TBS? Pretty funny. On demand, it’s only like (7)-22 minute episodes. Starring Steve Buschemi and Daniel Ratcliffe. season 2 coming out soon.

season 1 trailer-

Never heard of it but I really like Buschemi so I'll give it a watch.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Just saw Uncut Gems with my wife, it's pretty damn good. Sandler is really strong when he does serious roles, but if you only like straightforward conventional films you may not like it.

I can't get past Sandler. He's just such a turd.

I'm waiting for 1917 to play somewhere near me. I'm a huge WWI buff, so I'm really looking forward to it. May even take my daughter, just from a historical/learning perspective.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I can't get past Sandler. He's just such a turd.

I'm waiting for 1917 to play somewhere near me. I'm a huge WWI buff, so I'm really looking forward to it. May even take my daughter, just from a historical/learning perspective.

I'm a big Sandler fan, at least the earlier days. His serious roles have always been good, I'd give it a shot.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Saw it Fri night with my wife and older son - it was really good. Although I was probably biased towards liking it. Great story and acting, but it was really all about the cinematography and the "single take" look.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I saw it on Saturday and was blown away. Just an amazing piece of cinema. Some boob on Salon said it was dangerous because it didn't address nationalism and therefore it's a Trump movie. God f*** off.

Reactions: doublechili

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Some boob on Salon said it was dangerous because it didn't address nationalism
That should be somewhere around number 2,347,976 on any sane person's list of "takes" on that film. Seriously - that's what someone had to say after watching a freaking masterpiece? Oy. And that person probably considers him/herself "tolerant" and "open-minded". On behalf of art, I am offended.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Yeah I definitely want to check out 1917. I read A World Undone by GJ Meyer recently which was fantastic.

My grandfather was a soldier in WWI for Austria-Hungary. I think he was 16. Was captured by the Russians and sent to a POW camp where he escaped. He walked back home to Czech with a two month pit stop in the Ukraine where he worked as a nurse at a hospital near the Black Sea. Wrote a letter to his mother from that seaside town (which I've read) where he describes his ordeal. Most of his fellow prisoners died (no clothes, no food, 30 below temps) in Siberia. He said he wasn't in a huge rush to get home as he's enjoying hanging out on the beach for a while. LOL. Eventually made it home, married, had a family and lived a nice long life.

Remarkable.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah I definitely want to check out 1917. I read A World Undone by GJ Meyer recently which was fantastic.

My grandfather was a soldier in WWI for Austria-Hungary. I think he was 16. Was captured by the Russians and sent to a POW camp where he escaped. He walked back home to Czech with a two month pit stop in the Ukraine where he worked as a nurse at a hospital near the Black Sea. Wrote a letter to his mother from that seaside town (which I've read) where he describes his ordeal. Most of his fellow prisoners died (no clothes, no food, 30 below temps) in Siberia. He said he wasn't in a huge rush to get home as he's enjoying hanging out on the beach for a while. LOL. Eventually made it home, married, had a family and lived a nice long life.

Remarkable.

They could make that a movie.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Looking for a new series to start with the lady friend, especially with the week and a half Isles layoff.

Any suggestions? Past few we've watched had been all HBO (Leftovers, Big Little Lies, Succession, Watchmen) but have access to basically all of the streaming services.

Hit me!

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Just like a six pack...

12 pack

Looking for a new series to start with the lady friend, especially with the week and a half Isles layoff.

Any suggestions? Past few we've watched had been all HBO (Leftovers, Big Little Lies, Succession, Watchmen) but have access to basically all of the streaming services.

Hit me!

Jack Ryan
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Lost in Space
The Expanse
The Outsider (just started)
His Dark Materials

These are all good shows in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Anyone else watch the Netflix miniseries about Aaron Hernandez? I gotta admit I didn’t follow the case at all while it was going on. Some crazy shit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad