OT: Depends Who You Ask Apocalypse - Off Topic Thread of Summer

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
For anyone interested, Treadstone premieres tonight on USA at 10pm. The girl in my avatar, Han Hyo Joo, is one of the stars. I am a fan of the Jason Bourne saga so excited for this.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If you have some time to spare (and better yet, a lot of cash in the mattress), this is kind of fun to check out:

149 Lots | U.S. Marshals *Live | Online Webcast* Auction 10/26/2019

I want lot #218. A massive fully-restored, squared-off 2-door with a Hemi and a cue ball shifter coming up out of the floor. Pretty much perfect, unless you plan on going around corners....

Ironically, these are seized assets from people who started a "green" solar power company (that was apparently a ponzi scheme) and they obviously had a weakness for muscle cars, etc.. They were probably planning to convert them to run on solar batteries....

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Anyone been to Gingerbites? I am starving and might try this place for lunch. Coworker recommended it but he's into crazy stuff.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Update now entering 3rd day and you still can’t get near the White Castle in Scottsdale. Lines yesterday where still 4+ hours and they have decided to close at 1am for the foreseeable future even though the location is 24 hours.

They had to implement a 60 slider limit per order because morons were attempting to order 100’s at a time. Further complicating issues is this is the only location that does NOT use frozen patties and serves an original 1921 fresh beef slider. I’m guessing it has more to do with supply chain then them wanting to not utilize frozen beef.

Reactions: doublechili

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Update now entering 3rd day and you still can’t get near the White Castle in Scottsdale. Lines yesterday where still 4+ hours and they have decided to close at 1am for the foreseeable future even though the location is 24 hours.

They had to implement a 60 slider limit per order because morons were attempting to order 100’s at a time. Further complicating issues is this is the only location that does NOT use frozen patties and serves an original 1921 fresh beef slider. I’m guessing it has more to do with supply chain then them wanting to not utilize frozen beef.
I saw a story about that. What's the explanation for the fanatical popularity? Displaced northerners revisiting an old addiction? I mean, I haven't had a White Castle burger in easily 20 years and would love to have one, but if a WC opened near me I wouldn't go there every day and order 100 of them....

Reactions: beach

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
For some reason, I've been watching a lot of TV. I guess it's part of my life-long project of becoming a human slug.

The Boys - Awesome. Best show I've seen in a long while. Nuanced and full of interesting contradictions. Also, wickedly funny.
Another Life - Ok. Uses too many tropes as its foundation. Some bad acting. The last couple of episodes set up something that could be interesting, though.
After Life - Ok. A little schmaltzy and everything wrapped up too neatly, but Gervais makes it worth watching.

I'm on episode 6 of The Boys, it gets a strong 7/10 from me. There are points where it's pretty bad and cheesy, and others where it gets interesting (and funny). I do get a Watchmen vibe from it, just with added layers.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I'm on episode 6 of The Boys, it gets a strong 7/10 from me. There are points where it's pretty bad and cheesy, and others where it gets interesting (and funny). I do get a Watchmen vibe from it, just with added layers.

Thats next up on my list. Now that im fully caught up on the arrowverse and i finished Gotham.

Yea....i like superhero nonsense.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Thats next up on my list. Now that im fully caught up on the arrowverse and i finished Gotham.

Yea....i like superhero nonsense.
I don't, but was assured this would be great. It's not great, but good, so someone who looked super hero stuff will probably love it.

Reactions: SteveH124

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I saw a story about that. What's the explanation for the fanatical popularity? Displaced northerners revisiting an old addiction? I mean, I haven't had a White Castle burger in easily 20 years and would love to have one, but if a WC opened near me I wouldn't go there every day and order 100 of them....
I usually eat pretty healthy, but if I still lived near a WC, I might be in trouble. Something about the grease soaked mini bun and the diced onions is totally addictive.

Reactions: doublechili

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
:laugh: I know. Not sure why they decided to take the angle of making the hunter Scrooge and the kid Tiny Tim.

Everything is filtered through an oppression/victim lens these days. It's what people are taught in college now. If a kid is crying, he's a victim (despite being a vulgar mouthed, entitled little snot) and the other dude is an oppressor (despite just going about his business in a calm, normal manner).

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
On the pizza topic... this is easily one of the most overlooked places in all five boroughs.

https://www.lazzaraspizza.com/ It's not your conventional round pie. It's baked in a try, the crust is perfect and the ingredients are always fresh and delicious.

I think it blows away Totino's , which gets a lot of hype but I found to be a bit too doughy and overall underwhelming.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
On the pizza topic... this is easily one of the most overlooked places in all five boroughs.

https://www.lazzaraspizza.com/ It's not your conventional round pie. It's baked in a try, the crust is perfect and the ingredients are always fresh and delicious.

I think it blows away Totino's , which gets a lot of hype but I found to be a bit too doughy and overall underwhelming.
There's a pizza place near me here in the Philly burbs that serves a pie that looks exactly like this one (from the site linked above), square thin crust and all:

home-page-image-3.jpg

They call it "Trenton Style". We had trouble finding a pizza place we liked, but not anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad