Pittsburgh's Newest Rival = Jacksonville?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Steelers destroyed Jags in wk 5
Jags then upset Steelers in playoffs

That is hardly a rivalry

It will take a few more playoff games for these non-divisional teams to build up anything resembling rivalry

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Early on in Jacksonville's existence (until The Texans came into the League) they were in the same division & The Stillers had trouble with them back then, too. So, there is a bit of history there.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
No, not at all.

For the Steelers, the Ravens & Bengals are ahead for sure. They would probably consider the Patriots a rival over the Jags as well, though they've nothing to earn it.

The only other history of note between Jags/Steelers is the playoff win for the Jags a long time ago. Nice comeback win for the Jags, despite James Harrison being held on a key play near the end.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Not to mention the 2007 Wild Card game. Probably the best performance of David Garrard's short, but relatively solid career.

The Jags have historically been a pain in the steelers' asses.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Your right

I had it flipped and thought Steelers won

Also playoff game from nearly a decade ago or playing in same division nearly two decades ago is hardly going to strengthen claim of rivalry.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Depending on how the Jags do going forward I can see it becoming somewhat of a rivalry in the race for the #2 team in the AFC.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
We’ll get to see Steelers and Jaguars in prime time this year. Depending on how the seasons for both teams go, it could develop.

Here’s hoping the game goes the same way as last year :D

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Not so much a rival as it is the feeling of aw "****, not you again."

It's like when the Hurricanes were a brief, but really ****ing big pain in the ass for the Bruins in the later part of the 2000's. The Canes could be god awful yet they'd always find a way to drive Bruins fans up the wall.

The Jags are the same way. The Steelers don't see them when it matters a whole lot, but when they do it never seems to end well.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
No. I'm not convinced Jacksonville gets back there. Pitt should with or without Bell. They played good against them but their offense was mostly a joke. They don't even get to that game if Taylor isn't the Bills QB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad