Rumor: Pittsburgh's Jim Rutherford out as GM when season ends

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Hadn't seen anything confirming this to be true. The link you provided claims to get its info from a blog, which (in turn) doesn't cite any sources. The same blog also claims that Rutherford's "mishandling of the cap" is one of the reasons for his supposed firing, when all indications are that Pittsburgh's assistant GM (co-GM? What's the system they use there?) is the cap guru for the organization.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I don't think that's fair to JR. Or rather, to blame this mess on JR.

If he were brought in to exact change, he certainly tried. He traded Neal for Hornqvist, acquired David Perron and Ben Lovejoy, signed Erhoff in free agency.

Realistically speaking, he did the best he could. It's not as if he could wave his fingers and magically replicate Pascal Dupuis and Kris Letang.

I will say this though; I laughed at Pens fans who were insisting that all of their problems began with Dan Bylsma. They bring in a new coach and everything falls apart. That team has issues beyond coaching.

They really need to start drafting wingers. That would fix a lot of their problems- young, cheap, talented wingers for Crosby to play with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad