Pre-Game Talk: Pittsburgh vs Toronto, Saturday Feb 17th, 7pmET

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Another measuring stick game. Even though the Leafs are several points up on the Pens, they are the reigning cup champs and have been on a roll lately pulling themselves up to 2nd in the Metro division. Definitely one of the better teams around these days.

Reactions: RedRenegade

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Another measuring stick game. Even though the Leafs are several points up on the Pens, they are the reigning cup champs and have been on a roll lately pulling themselves up to 2nd in the Metro division. Definitely one of the better teams around these days.

If we want to win this one actually trying to defend once and awhile wouldn't go amiss, the Penguins score in bunches and can play pond hockey just as well as us if there on

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Great home stand by the boys.

I'm happy this game is on the road it'll be a good test for the Leafs facing a hot Penguins team at home.

With a kind of quiet effort by the Matthews line against Columbus I'm looking for him to go head-to-head with Sidney on Saturday and do his best to neutralize him.

Realistically, we had a great segment so these are free points for the taking. I'd be happy with 3 of 4 points.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Matt Murray has some very pedestrian numbers this season in 37 games. 2.91 GAA with a .906 SV % so it's surprising to me where PIT is in the standings right now.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Matt Murray has some very pedestrian numbers this season in 37 games. 2.91 GAA with a .906 SV % so it's surprising to me where PIT is in the standings right now.
they don't rely on their goalie as much as we do. where they are is where they should be based on their play

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Its so hard to get excited for games when we basically clinched a playoffs spot mid way through the season. LOL

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
we could still collapse and miss the playoffs ala 2012 and 2014.

excited yet?

Not gonna happen this time. Even if we collapse, we would still end up in the high 80s in points. Those teams behind us will have to play insane hockey to catch us. Your comment would make sense if we had any good teams behind us, but we don't. So...

Reactions: bax

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Not me. I've been waiting too long to be in this position. Each game is really fun to watch.
I love watching them. But there is no win or lose excitement unless it’s TB or BOS. The rest of the games ... as long as the kids play good I guess

Reactions: bax

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Its so hard to get excited for games when we basically clinched a playoffs spot mid way through the season. LOL

I know the odds are in our favour... But there is a reason why they teach you the fable "The Tortoise and the Hare" in grade school. It applies to this liberally.

Not me. I've been waiting too long to be in this position. Each game is really fun to watch.

I'm on the same boat as bax. To have that talent depth and the right team chemistry to be 4th in the east all season long thus far. Is priceless.
We are a streak and a few losses from TB and Bos to be # 1 in the East.

Imagine that... 2nd year rebuild still not totally refined and lined with rookies and sophs. # 1 East heading into playoffs 2018.
This is History

Reactions: iceblue and bax

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I love watching them. But there is no win or lose excitement unless it’s TB or BOS. The rest of the games ... as long as the kids play good I guess

Fair point. I look at it as when they're on it's great to watch and if they lose a couple of games here and there I'm not losing my mind lol

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I see your point BUT it would be very beneficial for the Leafs to have home ice in the first round. I hope the players are not as complacent as you lol. Since 2001, Leafs have won only 1 series where they did not have home ice advantage. Say what you want, but it is important. Lots to play for. Teams win more series when they have home ice. Fact.

Reactions: Clark4Ever and bax

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We got this. We genuinely believe that we can crush any team now. Yeah they have been saying that for years, but it’s actually true now. When this team skates and plays with swag they are nearly impossible to beat, all it took was realizing that this current team never was going to be a 2 -1 chip and grind team.

When Freddy's on his game, we can beat any team in the league on any given night.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Really? After the long hard years of being a fan of this train wreak, I'm as excited as I've ever been and it feels a little strange.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This winning thing feels too new still, I haven't even thought of playoffs.

I know it's wrong, but after 50+ years of being a Leaf fan, I am still waiting for the "other shoe to drop".

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This winning thing feels too new still, I haven't even thought of playoffs.

Yeah we're still a little far away from April to get excited about the playoffs, but it's really nice not having to stress out about each game and the results in the standings. It's been a much more relaxing stretch run that has been enjoyable to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->