Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part VII (MOD WARNING post #275)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
holy **** guys Kunitz cut one media session short on a Tuesday practice day before the season started. This may literally be the biggest overreaction I've ever seen on this board. Sure, he should talk to the media. But is it a problem if on rare occasions he just tells them he can't today or he cuts a question session short? No. Especially on a day where there is nothing specific to talk about.

And can we change the name of this thread? The name starts with "Rossi, Yohe" I think its reasonable that some of us got confused :laugh:

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Would you like a tape recording? :laugh:

Madden doesn't do interviews at practices. He was told by a colleague that someone was complaining about having to talk to the media after practice. Madden was going to leave the identity a mystery, but then basically said **** it and called out Kunitz. That was followed by a small tirade against players in the room who are complaining DB was fired.

I understand it's the hip thing to do on here to call Madden fat and a liar. I guess Kunitz didn't say anything, and Madden should diet.

Madden knows hockey better than most of the idiots that cover the team, but he's a shock jock that goes overboard for effect and ratings. The whole "I don't want to tell you who, **** it, it was Kunitz" followed by tirade is the perfect way to rile up the masses and bring attention to his show. I don't doubt that Kunitz complained, but I believe MM blew it was out of proportion.

My bad. I thought this was the media thread as well.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Gotta love people. Because they are athletes and paid well they should just have to do everything, shut up, and be happy. :biglaugh: Yeah ... okay. How many of us work for a living? There is AT LEAST one thing a week that we say "I HATE doing that... I don't want to do it." It happens at every single job. Some people don't like meetings, some don't like delivering presentations, some don't like one aspect of their job. IT HAPPENS.

Good lord. Let it go. :laugh: Would you want to answer Rob ****ing Rossi questions every day? As for the locker room - it does need to shake up. It's time to focus on hockey and not **** like Dan Bylsma or the country club atmosphere.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

We all have aspects of our job that we don't love, but we still do them and don't ***** about it.

Talking to the media is a part of his job.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

We all have aspects of our job that we don't love, but we still do them and don't ***** about it.

Talking to the media is a part of his job.

have you ever actually had a job? Were there other people at this job? Because if you believe the bold, I don't think you have.

Part of my job as a teacher was the call parents. I hated it. I *****ed about it. I did it. But there were days when I just decided I wasn't doing it, or maybe that I'd just call a few. Kunitz didn't tell the media he'd never talk to them again. He just cut one media session short.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
How many Kunitz interview/media sessions do you guys actually listen to? Like what percentage of the hundreds of interviews he gives over the season do you actively listen to?

For me, it's slightly above zero percent. This is a non issue and could care less if Chris Kunitz ignores the media the rest of his career.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Plus... you know... it's Mark Madden.

Just because he understands the sport better than most in the area (not exactly a difficult feat) doesn't mean he isn't a ****-stirring blowhard.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
How many Kunitz interview/media sessions do you guys actually listen to? Like what percentage of the hundreds of interviews he gives over the season do you actively listen to?

For me, it's slightly above zero percent. This is a non issue and could care less if Chris Kunitz ignores the media the rest of his career.

:laugh: I agree. Some people just want to complain to complain. It drives me nuts. It's such a non-issue.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
have you ever actually had a job? Were there other people at this job? Because if you believe the bold, I don't think you have.

Part of my job as a teacher was the call parents. I hated it. I *****ed about it. I did it. But there were days when I just decided I wasn't doing it, or maybe that I'd just call a few. Kunitz didn't tell the media he'd never talk to them again. He just cut one media session short.

But by your comments earlier, you're a teacher and this paid to teach, not paid to talk to parents. Completely untrue, right? I know enough teachers to feel confident in saying that it's not in your contract to call parents so many times a year. Everyone has a right to ***** about ****** parts of their job, we all do it.

Look, if Kunitz cut a session short, no big deal, he's allowed. But, if he cut it short, as an alternate captain, on a team with entitlement issues, and then makes a comment about it, he has every right to be criticized. That's all there is to it, no ones saying he's a bad guy or should be kicked off the team or his a horrible human.

If you were to cut a parent teacher conference short and make a remark about it to the parent, and you were already irritating people by half-assing your lesson plans, would you not expect to hear from someone in administration? Let's keep the hyperbole down on both sides.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
:laugh: I agree. Some people just want to complain to complain. It drives me nuts. It's such a non-issue.

Skipping an interview is a complete non issue. Now if he's doing an interview and flings poo in Rossi's face hit me up.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
But by your comments earlier, you're a teacher and this paid to teach, not paid to talk to parents. Completely untrue, right? I know enough teachers to feel confident in saying that it's not in your contract to call parents so many times a year. Everyone has a right to ***** about ****** parts of their job, we all do it.

I had to call home every time I gave a student detention or an official office referral. I also had to call for any student in my homeroom who were failing a class before report cards went home. It was a part of my contract. Random calls just to keep parents updated or to let them know of potential issues was not technically required, but expected.

Look, if Kunitz cut a session short, no big deal, he's allowed. But, if he cut it short, as an alternate captain, on a team with entitlement issues, and then makes a comment about it, he has every right to be criticized. That's all there is to it, no ones saying he's a bad guy or should be kicked off the team or his a horrible human.

I don't think there is any reason to criticize that. If it becomes habit, then sure criticize away. He did it one time.

If you were to cut a parent teacher conference short and make a remark about it to the parent, and you were already irritating people by half-assing your lesson plans, would you not expect to hear from someone in administration? Let's keep the hyperbole down on both sides.

Obviously I wouldn't cut a scheduled parent teacher conference short. But that's a bad comparison. If a parent comes up to me while I'm on my way home then I wouldn't feel at all bad about telling them we need to talk another time.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The Player agrees to give his services and to play hockey in all NHL Games, All Star
Games, International Hockey Games and Exhibition Games to the best of his ability under the
direction and control of the Club in accordance with the provisions hereof.

The Player further agrees,

2d: to co-operate with the Club and participate in any and all reasonable promotional
activities of the Club which will in the opinion of the Club promote the welfare of the Club and
to cooperate in the promotion of the League and professional hockey generally,

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Kunitz signed this (and there's more in this document). Talking to the media after practice and games is as much his job as showing up to them. That letter on his jersey marks him as a designated team spokesman. If he doesn't want to do the duties of a team spokesman, he should ask for the letter to be removed.

I can't be the only one who heard the front office going on and on about how the team's leadership group needs to lighten the load on Sid. If Kunitz is complaining about having to perform some of these functions when Sid is at a funeral and can't, how, exactly, is that load supposed to get lighter?

Way I see it, this isn't about Rossi. It's about Sid. That guy sits there for 40 minutes every time he goes to work answering every stupid question from local and international media without complaining once. Malkin doesn't talk to the media (which I sort of understand with the language barrier and the fact that his so-called biographer has admitted to trying to trip him up and get him to say something dumb).

If Kunitz doesn't want to talk to them, and grumbles when he does, who the heck is helping take some of this off Sid's plate? It's a critical need. You'd need to be blind to not see that Sid already has too much weight on his shoulders.

If Kunitz thinks the duties of an A are too much for him, he needs to march into the coach's office and tell them that. Otherwise, he needs to bite his tongue, be there every time he's needed and answer all questions patiently and without complaint until the Penguins media director says "time's up."

Obviously I wouldn't cut a scheduled parent teacher conference short. But that's a bad comparison. If a parent comes up to me while I'm on my way home then I wouldn't feel at all bad about telling them we need to talk another time.

It's not a bad comparison, it's a relatively close comparison. Media time, like a parent-teacher conference, is scheduled in advance and a player obligation under the terms of the contract in which they are paid. Talking to a parent who stopped you in the parking lot is neither.

And even if it wasn't a good comparison, would you make a smart remark to a parent who did? Of course not. It would be completely unprofessional to do so. More so if you were the designated spokesperson of the science department.

Gotta love people. Because they are athletes and paid well they should just have to do everything, shut up, and be happy. :biglaugh: Yeah ... okay. How many of us work for a living? There is AT LEAST one thing a week that we say "I HATE doing that... I don't want to do it." It happens at every single job. Some people don't like meetings, some don't like delivering presentations, some don't like one aspect of their job. IT HAPPENS.

Good lord. Let it go. :laugh: Would you want to answer Rob ****ing Rossi questions every day? As for the locker room - it does need to shake up. It's time to focus on hockey and not **** like Dan Bylsma or the country club atmosphere.

No, you don't have to like everything you're asked to do. Yes, you have to do it anyway. If an Everyday Joe walks into a required meeting and says "Wow, it's so important to be here instead of home with my kids" that's a good way for him to get written up. If a company spokesman (which that letter says Kunitz is) in corporate society walks into a press conference and says that, he or she is likely to be suspended without pay, if not fired.

I'm not saying that should happen to Kunitz, but the idea that he can just not do something unpleasant or complain about it because he's just like John Q Public and that's what JQP would do is incorrect for a lot of reasons.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Frankly, considering I wouldn't want to talk to any of the media (and a good chunk of the fanbase) under any circumstances, I can't fault Kunitz for realizing that it's just a ****show, if it actually happened.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
How about this, Kunitz is a grown ***(Edit) adult and if he wants to cut a media session short or never give one again then who gives a flying *****. He has more important things to do. He doesn't owe reporters or fans anything including his time. As long as the team is ok with it that is his only concern because that is who he has to answer to.

I swear to god some people on here are so petty and myopic its a surprise you can get through day to day life.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Plus... you know... it's Mark Madden.

Just because he understands the sport better than most in the area (not exactly a difficult feat) doesn't mean he isn't a ****-stirring blowhard.

Can not be stated enough.

Being the most knowledgeable hockey voice here is like being the tallest midget.

I've never understood Madden's insistence on crowing about ratings etc. The majority of the consumers of his product are uneducated yinzers. So isn't being the best at attracting them actually a bad thing?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Can not be stated enough.

Being the most knowledgeable hockey voice here is like being the tallest midget.

I've never understood Madden's insistence on crowing about ratings etc. The majority of the consumers of his product are uneducated yinzers. So isn't being the best at attracting them actually a bad thing?

Not for his bank account.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't hate the guy. I understand what he's doing and he's pretty good at it. I doubt he even really believes half of crap he wheezes into the mic. But his act should be pretty clear, by now. Has he gotten some stuff right over the years? Yeah. Have I (an idiot fan with no inside sources) gotten some stuff right over the years? Yup.

The appeal is that he knows the game and acts like an awful human being on the air so you can flex your righteous indignation, call in and tell him why he's wrong only to get berated and hung up on. So then you can be even more angry about it and tune in next time to listen to what he's going to say next to make you furious. See?

So what have I missed from the last two months of hockey coverage?

Really nothing of note. Malkin has gone Yeti. Adams and Scuderi will still be around all this year. Johnston seems like he knows what he's doing. JR is still ancient and weird-looking.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

By "don't ***** about it" I mean don't ***** about it publicly for everyone to hear. Of course we ***** about things to our friends and families, but you don't do it where your boss/co-workers/parents can hear you.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
By "don't ***** about it" I mean don't ***** about it publicly for everyone to hear. Of course we ***** about things to our friends and families, but you don't do it where your boss/co-workers/parents can hear you.

I really am starting to think you've never worked with other people.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I mean as soon as I get to work on Monday I probably hear 10 people say "Ugh is it Friday yet. I just want to get out of here" and I work at a place people love to work. :laugh:

I think you are waaaaaaaaaaaaay out there in left field and cannot get your head wrapped around this because your blinded by the money he makes.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
You people who think a pro sports player is not paid to talk to the media need to get your heads out of the sand. It's part of the job, not their primary job, sure, but part of it.

I don't think this argument would have gone on for nearly this long, but people are just blindly defending Kunitz. This should have been a half page on this thread saying he shouldn't have done that and moved on. I'm going to be interested in how long some of you wait before talking about the "country club" after not caring if Kunitz can't spend some time to talk to reporters after a practice that's what, a few hours?

And for the record, everyone *****es to their coworkers, including me. But what I don't do is go *****ing to parents and families I work with, even though I work twice as long and hard as they do. It's unprofessional, and would absolutely cause problems.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought we were paying Kunitz to play hockey, not provide quotes for our terrible journalists and feed the media machine.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought we were paying Kunitz to play hockey, not provide quotes for our terrible journalists and feed the media machine.

You're right. Poor Kunitz just wants to play hockey with his friends but all these people keep showing up to watch and ask him questions.

I think the thing that bothers me so much about this is if Adams were to do this, every person on here would pile on with how he's acting like an entitled vet and he's part of the culture problem. I feel like this issue has been blown up by the people defending him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad