Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part VII (MOD WARNING post #275)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Y'all left out Jágr watch and turtles on the runway :laugh:

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Can't believe Rob Rossi is no longer on the Penguins' beat... ugh. I feel like you guys hated on him a lot, and I NEVER understood the hate. As a Flyers fan living in Pittsburgh, I thoroughly enjoyed his write-ups.
Consummate professional. Just like our Sam Carchidi.

Those last two sentences strongly suggest this Flyers fan is messing with y'all.

For those who don't know him, Carchidi is known for printing innuendo (drinking, I think some stuff about Hartnell's wife), insulting players within earshot of them ("that guy has no balls," etc) and once tried to fist fight Mike Richards during a press scrum. He's the exact opposite of a professional.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Does Steigerwald count for this thread? Last night he had a couple of doozies.

First was when he described the line of Kapanen, Sundqvist and Hornqvist as being "all Swedes".
Second was when he talked about "Brian Suter".

Bonus points to Root sports for spelling Kapanen's name as "Kapenen" in a graphic.

:facepalm:

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Does Steigerwald count for this thread? Last night he had a couple of doozies.

First was when he described the line of Kapanen, Sundqvist and Hornqvist as being "all Swedes".
Second was when he talked about "Brian Suter".

Bonus points to Root sports for spelling Kapanen's name as "Kapenen" in a graphic.

:facepalm:

The penguins-twitter account spelled Crosby wrong, and called Kapanen "Kasper". Words are hard, apparently.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
i wonder if steigy isnt a prominent part of the transmission mechanism for the penguins perceived arrogance. he seems like someone who thinks things he doesnt know are inherently not worth knowing

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
They're all literally employed to play hockey, not talk to the media. They're expected to do it, but again, it's not their job. Having a letter is a team thing, leadership and talking to the officials, it's not a promise to give soundbites. If they don't want to sit there and answer the same questions in the same way they don't have to.

It's easier for everyone if they do because the members of the media are generally sensitive to any slight. Sid always being willing to sit there and read from his script probably lets the rest of them off easier, tbh.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Kunitz made a smart remark to them about having better things to do than talk to them.

And yes, he needs a reality check.

I don't blame him for not wanting to talk to the pgh media. They've proven time and time again they are complete idiots. Rob Rossi in particular.

Pittsburgh has the distinction of being a market that gets a lot of attention outside of Pittsburgh, yet doesn't have a good local media presence. Just a bunch of clowns who are prone to inventing drama when they can't coax it out of the players. Just look at what they did with a simple, meaningless statement like that.

Michael8771*

Kunitz has been around long enough to know what is expected of him regarding availability in doing interviews and such. To me such behavior is arrogant, condescending and completely unprofessional. You make big money, just do as you're told and talk to the media. You don't like it, tough!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm not sure why people would rake Kunitz over the coals for apparently cutting question period short when we haven't heard boo from Malkin, our 9.5 mil per assistant captain who has a lot more time on his hands than Kunitz these days.

Not that I have a problem with either.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Listening to MM today. He was going off on some of the vets (without naming names). Said that there are guys on the team that are still moaning that their boy and babysitter Dan Bylsma got fired.

And that Kunitz was whining about having to stay after practice to talk to the media. MM: "You work 4 hours a day, and you are complaining that you don't see your family enough. You think you are the only one with a life outside of work. The problem with the Penguins is that they still have too many whiney, entitled *****es. (rhymes with witches). Too many that I don't see themselves digging themselves out of that mentality." If true, the Pen's still have a country club lockeroom culture on the team that was fostered by the previous regime. Hopefully the new FO and staff can eliminate it.
Yeah, I'm actually inclined to believe him on this. I've been worried about it since the Boston series, so there may be some confirmation bias there. On the other hand, it is obvious that some of the players weren't happy that they were losing their buddy.

IMO, basically, if any of them are pouting about it they can go f themselves :nopity:

ETA http://www.1059thex.com/media/podcast-mark-madden-MarkMadden/madden-september-30-hour-1-seg-25364229/

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about Malkin.

Also, can someone provide some evidence of Kunitz' supposed comments? Other than Madden whining because Kunitz wouldn't talk to him.

Would you like a tape recording? :laugh:

Madden doesn't do interviews at practices. He was told by a colleague that someone was complaining about having to talk to the media after practice. Madden was going to leave the identity a mystery, but then basically said **** it and called out Kunitz. That was followed by a small tirade against players in the room who are complaining DB was fired.

I understand it's the hip thing to do on here to call Madden fat and a liar. I guess Kunitz didn't say anything, and Madden should diet.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'm not sure why people would rake Kunitz over the coals for apparently cutting question period short when we haven't heard boo from Malkin, our 9.5 mil per assistant captain who has a lot more time on his hands than Kunitz these days.

Not that I have a problem with either.

I'm not real happy about Geno's disappearing act. It wouldn't kill him to give his fans a minute or 2 after several months of silence.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
So I listened to the MM segment and frankly the only person who came across as a "whiny entitled *****" was MM himself... which is fine because that is his job as a shock jock. Take the story about the supposed comment with a grain of salt... remember MM didn't hear it from Kunitz himself, just from some secondhand (or maybe even third or fourth hand... who knows) source.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I'm assuming its guys like Scuds and Adams, not the actual good players who can earn their spots under a real coach. Has Kunitz ever given anyone any reason to question his character at all?

Also, Mark Madden is a blubbering buffoon and his comments should be taken with a massive pile of salt almost as big as he is. He knows hockey when he decides to act like a real human being, but his primary goal is to play a shock jock character to stir up controversy.

:laugh: classic Pghkev

Thanks!!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Gotta love people. Because they are athletes and paid well they should just have to do everything, shut up, and be happy. :biglaugh: Yeah ... okay. How many of us work for a living? There is AT LEAST one thing a week that we say "I HATE doing that... I don't want to do it." It happens at every single job. Some people don't like meetings, some don't like delivering presentations, some don't like one aspect of their job. IT HAPPENS.

Good lord. Let it go. :laugh: Would you want to answer Rob ****ing Rossi questions every day? As for the locker room - it does need to shake up. It's time to focus on hockey and not **** like Dan Bylsma or the country club atmosphere.

Hydro

Apr 29, 2013
Windsor
Guys, it's alternate captain, not assistant. Just thought I'd throw that out there as the more it gets said the more it irks me

Michael8771*

Yes, because answering questions from the media is such a long, arduous, torture filled, inhumane process. Those media types should be put in jail.:shakehead

Maybe the athletes should get over it. It's called ''cost of doing business''.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
You would think that this discussion could take place between Maple Leafs/San Jose Sharks fans.

What Kunitz, etc. do on the ice will be more interesting than what MM has heard they do in the locker room or to the media. Why get angry/excited over this?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yes, because answering questions from the media is such a long, arduous, torture filled, inhumane process. Those media types should be put in jail.:shakehead

Yes.. because that was said by everyone. Nobody said that. :laugh: So far you've made huge deals about this and Sill on ONE mic'd up segment. Is this really how you go about liking players? :biglaugh: Great stuff as usual, Michael.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
**** that. It's not the Captain's job to be the only guy that speaks for the team. It is especially not the Captain's job to be the only player available to the media when he's not even in the same country as them.

I can't stand Orpik, but at least he took his letter seriously. He may have said things I don't like, but I'd be lying if I said he shirked the duties that came with being an assistant captain.

If Kunitz isn't going to talk to the refs and doesn't want to talk to the media, give his A to Letang.

Exactly. When your captain is carrying you + Dupuis on his back every night that least you could do is lighten the load a little bit by taking on some of the media duties.

Michael8771*

Exactly. When your captain is carrying you + Dupuis on his back every night that least you could do is lighten the load a little bit by taking on some of the media duties.
Couldn't agree more. Rather bizarre that common sense on such matters isn't something everyone can grasp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->