Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

rightwinglock

Feb 9, 2015
For all intents and purposes Staal was traded as if he was signed to a longterm deal, with Carolina knowing they will get the extension signed. That to me says that his value is more or less the same, but still don't want him cause there are similar and cheaper options around the league, mainly Hanzal, as well as in the organization (Sundqvist).

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
http://triblive.com/sports/robrossi/7818179-74/crosby-game-penguins#axzz3SXfu8x5t

It was an ok article until Rossi happened...

Right now, Crosby is dealing with the weakest supporting cast since he was a rookie, a coaching staff that increasingly appears unable to bring accountability, and a franchise overhaul that failed to temper unreasonable — if not crushing — Cup-or-bust expectations.

Ive never seen a more butt hurt reporter over the firing of a coach. This coach could lead us to 3 straight cups and he would still bash him and say Bylsma would have done it in less games played

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Madden thinks that hockey is boring. Too systematic, too defensive, etc., and THAT is why it's not popular in the States. Kolbe disagrees.

He apparently hasn't watched a single playoff series in the last 10 years. The NHL playoffs since the '05 lockout has kicked ass.

Madden's just a blowhard. As well spoken as he is (when he wants to be) his thinking is so simplistic he may as well be a toddler.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i dont think anything rossi said in that article is untrue. seems very accurate to me.

accountability absolutely seems to be a major issue with this team/coaching staff.

crosby is getting older, and has played much more hockey and been subject to much more abuse than the average 27 year old player. generational players peak earlier than your average player, as well, which people dont like to acknowledge.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
i dont think anything rossi said in that article is untrue. seems very accurate to me.

accountability absolutely seems to be a major issue with this team/coaching staff.

The part that everyone is groaning about is the irony in Rossi calling out the Johnston regime's "accountability" issues when he would never have done the same to Bylsma, despite the latter being even worse at holding players accountable for things.

Also. regardless of this team's foibles, I think it's pretty silly to say this is the worst supporting cast Sid has had. Hornqvist and Perron are easily better than Kunitz and Dupuis (or frickin Gibbons), and the overall depth of the team is markedly better than it was last season.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Madden thinks that hockey is boring. Too systematic, too defensive, etc., and THAT is why it's not popular in the States. Kolbe disagrees.

He apparently hasn't watched a single playoff series in the last 10 years. The NHL playoffs since the '05 lockout has kicked ass.

Madden's just a blowhard. As well spoken as he is (when he wants to be) his thinking is so simplistic he may as well be a toddler.

Some of the playoff series have been great but in general if you turned on a random game and made someone who never watched hockey watch it would probably come off rather boring. Just like soccer is to a lot of non soccer fans.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
worst supporting cast is an outright lie, everything else is true to varying degrees but he would never say them about bylsma

at this point if rossi said the sky was blue i'd assume he was only saying it because he had a fight with the ground

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I just find it funny how "popularity" is proof positive that a product is either good or bad.

There are a BILLION variables involved. Do people think that the NFL is King because the product is that good, or that it's something so ingrained in the American culture they can have controversy after controversy, with people caught beating their wives or kids or taping practices, and not miss a beat?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Crosby IS injured, Father Time ISN'T ruining his career (yet)

Rossi makes **** up without conscience.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
It is very systematic now a days, but the skill level is very high overall. Just a different game than yesteryear.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
the supporting cast thing is debatable. he has better linemates definitely, and the bottom six is better but still sucks. defense is still a poor collection of players.

Normally I'd agree that this kind of thing is completely debatable, but that's not the case with this.

This year's supporting cast is miles ahead of 06/07 with Colby, Christensen, Oullet, Ekman, Melichar, LeClair, Naserdine, Welch, Petrovicky, and company. A lot better than last season's AHL/waiver wire parade of Gibbons, Megna, Pyatt, Adams, Scuderi 2.0, Glass, Orpik, Conner, Kobasew, Ebbett, D'agastini, Sill and the lot. Heck the supporting cast might be better than the first Cup run, the players were just used better/logically and everyone played out of their mind.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
the supporting cast thing is debatable. he has better linemates definitely, and the bottom six is better but still sucks. defense is still a poor collection of players.

Say what you want about the bottom 6 and defense but neither should hinder his production. He has good ES linemates and the personnel to have the most dangerous PP in the league.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I just find it funny how "popularity" is proof positive that a product is either good or bad.

There are a BILLION variables involved. Do people think that the NFL is King because the product is that good, or that it's something so ingrained in the American culture they can have controversy after controversy, with people caught beating their wives or kids or taping practices, and not miss a beat?

I agree with that. Baseball is incredibly boring to me, as compared to hockey, but it's really popular because it's "America's pastime" or it was for such a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad