Pittsburgh & Phoenix players making noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
OilerFan4Life said:
Whats this a Penguin fan sticking up for the dogs?

Reilly is a Red Wings fan

OilerFan4Life said:
5 cups baby...you got only 2

What does a cup run 20 years ago have to do with the topic at hand? So you're an Oiler fan, good for you. Don't hijack good topical threads with you childish gloating and bashing of other cities.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Smail said:
Noll seems to ignore part of the reasoning behind a cap. With payroll disparity being lesser then now, and with a smaller average salary, teams with lower budget are going to be able to afford better players. Featuring a better team (product), they hope to see a rise in demand and a bigger revenue (both gate and tv revenue). If they can achieve this through a cap, it could make the smaller teams viable.

As for National TV contracts, well if the product on the ice can improve (via better match ups due to better on-ice teams by the lower budget teams) and HD TV really makes the NHL shine, they could get a fairly significant $ amount, which in turn would help the smaller markets.

I'll agree with not completely trusting his views. They should be taken into consideration, but not seen as the truth in a case like this.

Trying to judge an issue on how one economist feels about the situation is not highly recommended. This is an aspect (one very boring aspect) that I know well. I'm not an economist per se, but that is a good part of my skill set.

It is, for the most part, a behavioral science. With a limited set of established rules. Basically, most aspects are open to determination. Back in college, a professor told me an ecomonic axiom that I've seen hold its truth many, many times.

You can put a handful of economists in a room and give them an issue (basic or complex, it won't matter). An hour later, if that long, their opposing views on the situation will turn into a heated argument. Many valid points brought up, but just as many valid rebukes.

A truth when you deal in behavior, there is not always one clear answer. It can, and most certainly will, vary.

Beware the economist point of view.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
clefty said:
Reilly is a Red Wings fan

What does a cup run 20 years ago have to do with the topic at hand? So you're an Oiler fan, good for you. Don't hijack good topical threads with you childish gloating and bashing of other cities.

Ok buddy, childish gloating? I beleive Mr. Reilly threw the first punch. I responded. I was on topic discussing the Coyotes managerial problems. And thus was "attacked" by a Pittsburgh boy. Maybe you should go back and read the whole thread. I know it might be asking for too much little boy, but you could atleast show an effort in reading before you open your mouth.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
OilerFan4Life said:
Ok buddy, childish gloating? I beleive Mr. Reilly threw the first punch. I responded. I was on topic discussing the Coyotes managerial problems. And thus was "attacked" by a Pittsburgh boy. Maybe you should go back and read the whole thread. I know it might be asking for too much little boy, but you could atleast show an effort in reading before you open your mouth.

Man this thread has really gone downhill :shakehead . Oh well...I enjoy posting in closed threads anyways :D .

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
NewBreed19 said:
I'am so sick of hearing about Phoenix in finacial ruins. Fact is they have just built a beautiful new areana, and have good ownership. The reason they haven't done well previous to this, is because they were playin in the AWA. They were playing in an areana built for basketball and had no part of adverising revenue,parking, suites,and everything else that comes with having their own areana. Since moving into the new areana, they still lost money but were able to avoid a 7 digit loss. They need time now to establish themselves in their new home and build a team. Iwatched all their games televised on center ice and they have fan support. It will grow once they put a better team on the ice. I live two hours from Winnipeg(Brandon,Mb.) and have followed this frachise since the eary 80's in the days of Dale Hawerchuk!! I can tell you that they have much better ownership and a way better Areana and are in a much better place with deeper pockets then they were in Winnipeg. People who are saying they belong back in Winnipeg are living in a fantasy world. The coyotes are much better as a frachise now then before!! ;)

As I'm sure you've already noticed, all hockey fans who are totally ignorant of the Coyotes history, will just totally ignore your rant and information as to how/why the Franchise is actually in such great shape. I totally share your frustration towards those who speak out of ignorance.

Instead you get responses which ignore the information you are trying to help them understand, but ignorantly trash some of managements moves without understanding that those moves, which if you don't follow the team, may seem like a bad trade, or don't make sense when you analyze them with other moves they have made. However, if you follow the team & understand their roster situations/needs at the time of those moves, they make a lot of sense and are a big reason why this Franchise is in it's best shape since possibly the mid 80's.

You are not alone my friend in your frustration, but unfortunately for many others apparently 'ignorance is bliss'.

How many times does Chris Gratton have to get traded in a "lopsided trade" (did you notice Coyote management wasn't given credit for using Gratton to obtain Derek Morris) before people will finally understand that despite all of Gratton's shortages in offense, he has more value in the eye's of GM's than those fans who base his value solely on his offensive output. So many fans just don't undertand that these players are assets, and when gauging their trade value, you can't look at stats and more importantly you can't ignore the needs of the teams trading for him or value of the assets given up for him in relation to those teams rosters.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
OilerFan4Life said:
Its incredible. As I said in another thread, whenever a to attack others with the attempt-to-condescend insults like "kid" or "bub" or in this case "little boy" they are always in the wrong. You started it with your attack on the Coyotes.

Little boy... :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad