Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about Jussi Jokinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The expansion helped some, some of those wingers that the GM's gave away are just f***ing unreal.

Oh hey you're new to the NHL? Let me f***ing gift you Marchessault for literally no reason and Alex Tuch because we're idiots in Florida and Minnesota.

f*** me.

I was joking. Our top six is comparable to any of those teams. Marchessault, Debrusk, and Killorn are far from high IQ players.

People have unrealistic standards for what a top six center is on this board and in general. Kasperi Kapanen is a top six wing on most NHL teams.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Everyone knew coming into this season that Kapanen wouldn't fit in the top 6. He has poor hockey IQ and zero vision outside 45 degrees. He's a mix of Sheary and Grabner, but lacks Sheary's give and go game that Sid and Geno like.

It was an awful trade from the beginning. He will be in the bottom 6 soon, wouldn't be surprising to see him scratched when Rodrigues and McCann return.

This is a slight exaggeration. He's a good-ish player overall. We overpaid but JR always overpaid for the guys he wanted.

The fact that he was a talented RHS with a heavy wrister and we never legitimately entertained playing him on PP1 said enough to me that his hockey IQ isn't high enough. It's not like Rust is some PP savant out there.

Reactions: Gurglesons

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Jankowski is actually just Bjugstad without the contract, honestly incredible how similar they are

Agree that the 4th line is the obvious place to start with any improvements, shouldn’t be expensive at all

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Which is why I railed so hard against the signing of Janko. I knew this would happen. Which is why I was clamoring for pretty much anyone else.
At 700k, it's one of those bets you hedge that don't really hurt the team, but it's a very boom or bust type of move and given how orgasmic Sullivan sounded speaking about him (he talked more glowingly about Jank than he ever has about Blueger for example), they again likely watched some youtube highlight clips from the previous year.

With that said, I was never a fan of the move as my guy was Blueger for 3c. Even if my 4c option was traded away and then signed back, it would still be better than seeing Jankowski on this team.

So yeah, like you, I am over Jank.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I was joking. Our top six is comparable to any of those teams. Marchessault, Debrusk, and Killorn are far from high IQ players.

People have unrealistic standards for what a top six center is on this board and in general. Kasperi Kapanen is a top six wing on most NHL teams.

Ah, my mistake. But Marchessault is a fantastic winger, good IQ in the offensive zone, Tuch is just...I've mentioned wanting to acquire his brother in another deal, also a very good prospect imo. I wish we had a Tuch, it's why I am very high on keeping lads like Legare and Pouliot. But Kapanen, everyone here knew he was a better fit for Sid, except our coach. Even when he had his visa issues, when he came to the Pens, E-Rod was still with Sid which I still can't let go of yet.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This is a slight exaggeration. He's a good-ish player overall. We overpaid but JR always overpaid for the guys he wanted.

The fact that he was a talented RHS with a heavy wrister and we never legitimately entertained playing him on PP1 said enough to me that his hockey IQ isn't high enough. It's not like Rust is some PP savant out there.

Kappy has 4 SH goals over the last two years. Our PK is dumpster level and he’s played 3 minutes there all year.

Same with Zucker having 7 PP goals in the two years prior to coming here and not being used on the first powerplay.

Sully is unintentionally handicapping these guys.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Killorn used to be the flavor of the year here for a while, I remember he was a lot of people's idea of a Kunitz clone for Sid.

Are we still on that wagon or has that wagon finally left town?

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Forsberg is the new Kessel from the Toronto era. A single good winger can’t do shit without support. I hope gets the f*** outta Nashville and start playing with real talent.

Whats the difference between

JVR/XXXX-Bozak-Kessel and Forsberg-Ryjo-Arvisson?

Just don’t send him to play with Barzal please. Keep him far from us.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ah, my mistake. But Marchessault is a fantastic winger, good IQ in the offensive zone, Tuch is just...I've mentioned wanting to acquire his brother in another deal, also a very good prospect imo. I wish we had a Tuch, it's why I am very high on keeping lads like Legare and Pouliot. But Kapanen, everyone here knew he was a better fit for Sid, except our coach. Even when he had his visa issues, when he came to the Pens, E-Rod was still with Sid which I still can't let go of yet.

Yeah their wingers are a little bit stronger than ours of course but that comes from having Karlsson and Stephenson as their top two centers.

You can’t tell me Stephenson and Kapanen are not comparable talents.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kappy has 4 SH goals over the last two years. Our PK is dumpster level and he’s played 3 minutes there all year.

Same with Zucker having 7 PP goals in the two years prior to coming here and not being used on the first powerplay.

The amount of times Blueger and his hockey IQ intercepts or breaks up a play and turns it the other way with someone that just has no good shot or talent to turn it into a better scoring opportunity always kills me, it's such a wasted effort. I still wish for a more aggressive PK that capitalizes on chances like that.

Kapanen + Blueger on the PK would be f***ing amazing to watch.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I support both of those moves. Kappy to the PK at least on continuous, non-faceoff play.

For as lukewarm as you know I am on Zucker, I think he's consistently been good on PP2 from the day he got here. PP1 is a defer-fest to Crosby & Malkin though so not sure how useful he'd be there. He's probably a better PP player than Jake but I may prefer him running PP2.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The amount of times Blueger and his hockey IQ intercepts or breaks up a play and turns it the other way with someone that just has no good shot or talent to turn it into a better scoring opportunity always kills me, it's such a wasted effort. I still wish for a more aggressive PK that capitalizes on chances like that.

Kapanen + Blueger on the PK would be f***ing amazing to watch.

There is no reason this team couldn’t use Kapanen on the PK. Outside of the fact Sullivan probably doesn’t like him cos he yaps.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah their wingers are a little bit stronger than ours of course but that comes from having Karlsson and Stephenson as their top two centers.

And Chandler Stephenson, he's 100% not a traditional top 6 center, he's who you would roll as a 3c but VGK tries things with their line-up and when it works, they allow it to grow.

Must be nice to see as a fan.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There is no reason this team couldn’t use Kapanen on the PK. Outside of the fact Sullivan probably doesn’t like him cos he yaps.
giphy.gif

This guy knows how Sully is when he doesn't like you.
b2df61f14ee3fdbafb5e358305420a7d.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Kapanen has more talent and a higher ceiling for sure, but both are definitely underrated and miscast by a lot of people that don't really know what kind of player they are or rather, keep trying to shove them into roles that they "think" they belong in.

Everyone thinks Kapanen can't be a solid penalty killer, yet he actually can be and has done decent work in that role before.
Chandler Stephenson isn't your more well known name for a top 6 pivot, but neither was Marchessault until he was given a chance and VGK is fine rewarding him (Chandler) as a top 6 C.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Kapanen has more talent and a higher ceiling for sure, but both are definitely underrated and miscast by a lot of people that don't really know what kind of player they are or rather, keep trying to shove them into roles that they "think" they belong in.

Everyone thinks Kapanen can't be a solid penalty killer, yet he actually can be and has done decent work in that role before.
Chandler Stephenson isn't your more well known name for a top 6 pivot, but neither was Marchessault until he was given a chance and VGK is fine rewarding him as a top 6 C.

Marchessault has been a wing since day one in VEGAS.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Marchessault has been a wing since day one in VEGAS.
Yeah I meant Chandler as the pivot, not Marchessault, the chance part was in reference to Marchessault bouncing from the Jackets and Bolts to the Panthers and getting a chance to really find his game and Chandler getting that with the VGK.

I definitely didn't do myself any favors with the lack of clarity in that post.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah I meant Chandler as the pivot, not Marchessault, the chance part was in reference to Marchessault bouncing from the Jackets and Bolts to the Panthers and getting a chance to really find his game and Chandler getting that with the VGK.

I definitely didn't do myself any favors with the lack of clarity in that post.

Marsh was good in Tampa and Florida and used in a similar role.

I wouldn’t put that on Vegas.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Marsh was good in Tampa and Florida and used in a similar role.

I wouldn’t put that on Vegas.

Tampa and CBJ Marchessault was basically a "Sheary" type, not the one that exploded with Sid, but the version after. In Florida, he basically Martin St.Louis'd on them. I was skeptical af about him though, I thought he was just a flash in the pan, then VGK got him and he's continued it ever since.

So rare to find a player like that and see them turn into that. I mean before Marchessault, who in that same undrafted position has done that well? Probably Martin St.Louis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad